Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the CGI budget in season 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alx View Post
    you didnt disprove anything and comparing EATG's rushed poor cgi with Air part one is just so wrong on so many levels.
    first of all EATG as a whole was rushed poorly edited and terribly slapped together CG, Air was planned they had months to perfect everything and edit it so you cant compare the two, instead compare the CGI in adrift first strike the siege etc as those eps were visually stunning,

and if you compare those they are very similar in quality and as i am a 3D artist with a passion for the stargate style myself i have watched so much CG footage from both SG1 SGA and SGU and this is closeup HD quality footage and frames while making my own SG models so i can with confidence say that i know what i am talking about.

examples of my own work
    Spoiler:

for one destiny doesnt hold up in close up shots and you can see alot of cheats by the artists especially texture wise and in comparisen the daedalus holds up better in closeups and so does Atlantis.

what im trying to say is if you dont know what you are talking about you cant judge the quality from a 10sec glance in the show you have to study it frame by frame and also know what software the artist have used and what can ultimatly be acchieved with it.

and clearly you are not qualified to disprove any of my statements on the subject.
    The effects in "Adrift" and "First Strike" were largely pretty bad, too... and whether it "holds up" better way zoomed in or not, I don't care. I judge quality based on how good it looks when I'm watching the episode from a normal viewing distance, and whereas SGU has consistently blown me away every time, SGA made me feel like I was watching some low-budget B-movie.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

It IS a SyFy original.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I thought that most of the special effects in Atlantis were pretty good.
        There some shots that were not the best but there was one that I can think of atm
        that was just horrible and that was hands down the hive landing in "Infection"
        Another one was the ending of "The Last Man"
        But yes SGU's special effects are awesome.

Comment

what i think that makes CGI in SGU better is that EVERYTHING matches.

Comment

IMO the CGI in the first three seasons was better than anything seen in Season 4 and 5. But I think the CGI was still great.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
              oh god bamsr was an epic fail thru and thru when it comes to the cgi.
              Are you serious.. BASMR was some of the best CGI ever.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
                Nope, that would be reserved for the rising city in Rising.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Erm...riiiiiiiight.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Nope, that would be reserved for the rising city in Rising.

I think best use of CGI in SGA would be in the three episodes of The Siege. One particular shot of the city springs to mind. Nothing at all going on, but it was against a dark backdrop that really worked. Rewatching that ep the other day made me seriously regret the direction SGA chose. S1 and 2 of SGA were actually very good, and had quite a dark tone at times.

As for bad CGI... I say nothing's worse than The Lost Tribe.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                      I think best use of CGI in SGA would be in the three episodes of The Siege. One particular shot of the city springs to mind. Nothing at all going on, but it was against a dark backdrop that really worked. Rewatching that ep the other day made me seriously regret the direction SGA chose. S1 and 2 of SGA were actually very good, and had quite a dark tone at times.

As for bad CGI... I say nothing's worse than The Lost Tribe.
                      Wow... seriously.. I thought that CGI was great... First Contact also had great CGI. Also, what was wrong with BASMRS CGI?
                      sigpic

Comment

Wow... seriously.. I thought that CGI was great... First Contact also had great CGI. Also, what was wrong with BASMRS CGI?
                        The CGI of the city was good. And the Attero device. What wasn't great was the CGI of the Asgard ship.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

My favorite is the CGI of the Horizon missile
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            My favorite is the CGI of the Horizon missile
                            My favorite CGI was when destiny entered the sun and the alien planet in lost and the F-15 battle in Continuum... err. wrong shows.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                              So I wonder what they done with the money?
                              See below:

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                              Invested in the writers to come up with McKeller
                              *gags* yeah that is what I suspect too...it takes a lot of money to purchase someone's integrity!

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                              *facepalm* I had to ask
                              don't you always?

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                              *plays with a tomato but decides to put it away* im not like that.
                              *takes tomato* I am! *SPLAT*

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              i think the main flaw of atlantis is and remains money. they had practically the same budget as SG1 yet had a different and more money-consuming setting. in SG1? a lab is nothing more than a small room, add a metal table, some computers, a locker or so, and you're done. SGA had it's own style, an entire city, and an alien race's stuff.

400 000 dollars is spent on CGI in SG1/Atlantis. SGU has + 1 000 000 dollars. this means that they can DOUBLE the CGI expenses and then have 600 000 dollars left to spend on more cast, the sets, etc.
                              AND you still can't see any of it due to horrendous lightening. *isn't going to mention the car in Human...not not gonna mention it! *

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                                See below:

*gags* yeah that is what I suspect too...it takes a lot of money to purchase someone's integrity!

don't you always?

*takes tomato* I am! *SPLAT*

AND you still can't see any of it due to horrendous lightening. *isn't going to mention the car in Human...not not gonna mention it! *
                                If you look closely.. ITS NOT A CAR. How is there even a road there. Be logical. If there was a road, they would have it blocked off for filming. Additionally, if a car did somehow get past security... they would have immediately stopped the take. Its not like it was an uber complicated shot that they only could afford one take and they had to use it no matter how bad it was. It was just a scene of them walking.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X