Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the CGI budget in season 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to the CGI budget in season 5?

I just re-watched "Infection" and the hive landing on the water was just horrendous. It reminded me of the sophomore art & animation presentations at my college from last year.

Did they switch to a different CGI company, or just really lower their standards?

The CGI budget had no cut backs in S5
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

The SG CGI has allways been inflicted with poor rushwork and that scen is by far one of the worst CG F-ups in SG and there are many.

Comment

The CGI went the way of the season
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          The CGI budget had no cut backs in S5
          really you know this for a fact?
          another bad CGI ep is enemy at the gate as the temp VFX were exatly the same as the ones that came out in the aired ep..

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
            really you know this for a fact?
            another bad CGI ep is enemy at the gate as the temp VFX were exatly the same as the ones that came out in the aired ep..
            Yes due to the fact that thier budget increased from S4 to S5.
            Jelgate is right

Comment

I don't even pretend to know how the CGI world works, but the puddle effect and city itself in "Enemy at the Gate" were cringe-worthy. Don't recall anything that awful.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Yes due to the fact that thier budget increased from S4 to S5.
                So I wonder what they done with the money?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                  Invested in the writers to come up with McKeller
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                    *facepalm* I had to ask
                    sigpic

Comment

Most of it goes to increased salaries for the cast and crew
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

properly pay the actors, writers, crew (who include the director, lighting, sound, camera men, props, stunts, sets, catering, CGI people, etc, etc) and thats just man power!

(damn. Jelgate beat me too it)

Originally posted by Konrad9 View Post
                        I just re-watched "Infection" and the hive landing on the water was just horrendous. It reminded me of the sophomore art & animation presentations at my college from last year.
                        TBH water is REALLY hard to get RIGHT in CGI. Way too fluid for the computer to make it look real, even for the big company's ( the Star Wars Prequels, how many BIG, CRAZY CGI battle happen ANYWHERE near water or a large sea ?). From the screencaps they didn't pretty alright on the splashdown, but the huge smoke/water trail coming out of the back end of the Hive is a bit "huh?" Way out of place.

But theres a lot of factors that make GOOD CGI, and most happen in the rendering (lighting and texturing) rather than, say the models themselves. And even rendering a single picture can take a lot of man hours to get right. And if you don't have those man hours, because you have other pictures to work on before the deadline, well then theres a problem.

Back in season 1, and The Storm, i've heard that Rainmaker had a small group trying to get the waves of the sea right. Just one group, for a bunch of waves. That would be on screen for less than two minute tops.

So, just to wrap it up. Water. And CGI. Don't mix too well. (yet)

(and if you think the CGI in Atlantis is bad. Wait till you see the original Tron movie )
                        [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
                          properly pay the actors, writers, crew (who include the director, lighting, sound, camera men, props, stunts, sets, catering, CGI people, etc, etc) and thats just man power!

(damn. Jelgate beat me too it)

TBH water is REALLY hard to get RIGHT in CGI. Way too fluid for the computer to make it look real, even for the big company's ( the Star Wars Prequels, how many BIG, CRAZY CGI battle happen ANYWHERE near water or a large sea ?). From the screencaps they didn't pretty alright on the splashdown, but the huge smoke/water trail coming out of the back end of the Hive is a bit "huh?" Way out of place.

But theres a lot of factors that make GOOD CGI, and most happen in the rendering (lighting and texturing) rather than, say the models themselves. And even rendering a single picture can take a lot of man hours to get right. And if you don't have those man hours, because you have other pictures to work on before the deadline, well then theres a problem.

Back in season 1, and The Storm, i've heard that Rainmaker had a small group trying to get the waves of the sea right. Just one group, for a bunch of waves. That would be on screen for less than two minute tops.

So, just to wrap it up. Water. And CGI. Don't mix too well. (yet)

(and if you think the CGI in Atlantis is bad. Wait till you see the original Tron movie )
                          Actually CGI and water does mix just fine when done right sure it takes alittle bit of extra effort but with todays programs it isnt hard at all, Maya is by far the Best software for fluid motion and it does it very well.
                          also fluid motion is CGI basics 101 and any good 3D artist should have a fair understanding of the basics and if i was a proffesional 3d artist and i hade made that hive chrash i would expect to be fired as its a def F.

anyway CGI isnt really prioritised in SG sure it plays a part in the show but it has never seemed to have gotten the attention and the money it deserves.

and ive seen original tron and i agree thats bad CG another show inflicted by terrible CGI was Seaquest

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                            heeeey...I liked McKeller.
                            *ducks for cover*
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                              heeeey...I liked McKeller.
                              *ducks for cover*
                              *plays with a tomato but decides to put it away* im not like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X