Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What happened to the CGI budget in season 5?

Quote Originally Posted by g.o.d View Post
    SGU's CGI is amazing, while SGA's was awful
    actually it isnt that much better and "amazing" is a def overstatement, and SGA's wasnt shamefull it just had its bad momements

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Most of it goes to increased salaries for the cast and crew
    Ah right. It's a pity they couldn't have used some of that money to invest in some new writing blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Choo1701 View Post
    properly pay the actors, writers, crew (who include the director, lighting, sound, camera men, props, stunts, sets, catering, CGI people, etc, etc) and thats just man power!

(damn. Jelgate beat me too it)
    Yes you have to be on the ball to beat Jel

Quote Originally Posted by gotthammer View Post
    heeeey...I liked McKeller.
    *ducks for cover*
    *throws some Tuna sandwiches at gotthammer*

Quote Originally Posted by Alx View Post
    actually it isnt that much better and "amazing" is a def overstatement, and SGA's wasnt shamefull it just had its bad momements
    Look at the first 15 minutes of SGU and the last 15 minutes of SGA and I guarantee you I just disproved your argument.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

well SG1 suffered the same fate. just watch Unending. those explosions *cries*

however, CGI is terribly expensive. main reason :time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by s09119 View Post
    Look at the first 15 minutes of SGU and the last 15 minutes of SGA and I guarantee you I just disproved your argument.
    you didnt disprove anything and comparing EATG's rushed poor cgi with Air part one is just so wrong on so many levels.
    first of all EATG as a whole was rushed poorly edited and terribly slapped together CG, Air was planned they had months to perfect everything and edit it so you cant compare the two, instead compare the CGI in adrift first strike the siege etc as those eps were visually stunning,

and if you compare those they are very similar in quality and as i am a 3D artist with a passion for the stargate style myself i have watched so much CG footage from both SG1 SGA and SGU and this is closeup HD quality footage and frames while making my own SG models so i can with confidence say that i know what i am talking about.

examples of my own work
    Spoiler:

for one destiny doesnt hold up in close up shots and you can see alot of cheats by the artists especially texture wise and in comparisen the daedalus holds up better in closeups and so does Atlantis.

what im trying to say is if you dont know what you are talking about you cant judge the quality from a 10sec glance in the show you have to study it frame by frame and also know what software the artist have used and what can ultimatly be acchieved with it.

and clearly you are not qualified to disprove any of my statements on the subject.
    Last edited by Alx; March 15th, 2010 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    well SG1 suffered the same fate. just watch Unending. those explosions *cries*

however, CGI is terribly expensive. main reason :time consuming.
    oh i hear ya there *Cries* indeed.

i think the main flaw of atlantis is and remains money. they had practically the same budget as SG1 yet had a different and more money-consuming setting. in SG1? a lab is nothing more than a small room, add a metal table, some computers, a locker or so, and you're done. SGA had it's own style, an entire city, and an alien race's stuff.

400 000 dollars is spent on CGI in SG1/Atlantis. SGU has + 1 000 000 dollars. this means that they can DOUBLE the CGI expenses and then have 600 000 dollars left to spend on more cast, the sets, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    i think the main flaw of atlantis is and remains money. they had practically the same budget as SG1 yet had a different and more money-consuming setting. in SG1? a lab is nothing more than a small room, add a metal table, some computers, a locker or so, and you're done. SGA had it's own style, an entire city, and an alien race's stuff.

400 000 dollars is spent on CGI in SG1/Atlantis. SGU has + 1 000 000 dollars. this means that they can DOUBLE the CGI expenses and then have 600 000 dollars left to spend on more cast, the sets, etc.
    '

Still the quality is NOT that much better that is my entire point. you can pour alot more money into it but the quality will remain pretty much the same as TIME is more important then money when it comes to CGI.

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Anyone remember that building collapsing in Last Man? I think that was enough foreboding of bad CGI yet to come...

Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Quote Originally Posted by s09119 View Post
    The worst CGI by far was BAMSR... I mean, since when are hives bright purple?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
    I haven't been impressed by the special effects in Atlantis since First Strike.
    oh god bamsr was an epic fail thru and thru when it comes to the cgi.
    It was horrid. I thought the story was horrid, so I suppose that works out well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egle01 View Post
    I don't even pretend to know how the CGI world works, but the puddle effect and city itself in "Enemy at the Gate" were cringe-worthy. Don't recall anything that awful.
    The final shot of Atlantis entering Earth's atmosphere lacked all texture and looked like a LEGO block Atlantis. That and the model itself looked incorrect around the 'pier' areas. And now I'm hearing that they aired the temp VFX? *sigh*

It's odd... Back when special visual effects were actually 'expensive' and 'special', it was great to see a Goa'uld mothership or an Asgard mothership just floating there, much less actually doing something. And now that it's 'cheaper', it's popping up more and more in every almost every episode and seems somehow substandard and not 'special' anymore.

you didnt disprove anything and comparing EATG's rushed poor cgi with Air part one is just so wrong on so many levels.
    first of all EATG as a whole was rushed poorly edited and terribly slapped together CG, Air was planned they had months to perfect everything and edit it so you cant compare the two, instead compare the CGI in adrift first strike the siege etc as those eps were visually stunning,

and if you compare those they are very similar in quality and as i am a 3D artist with a passion for the stargate style myself i have watched so much CG footage from both SG1 SGA and SGU and this is closeup HD quality footage and frames while making my own SG models so i can with confidence say that i know what i am talking about.

examples of my own work
    Spoiler:

for one destiny doesnt hold up in close up shots and you can see alot of cheats by the artists especially texture wise and in comparisen the daedalus holds up better in closeups and so does Atlantis.

what im trying to say is if you dont know what you are talking about you cant judge the quality from a 10sec glance in the show you have to study it frame by frame and also know what software the artist have used and what can ultimatly be acchieved with it.

and clearly you are not qualified to disprove any of my statements on the subject.
    The effects in "Adrift" and "First Strike" were largely pretty bad, too... and whether it "holds up" better way zoomed in or not, I don't care. I judge quality based on how good it looks when I'm watching the episode from a normal viewing distance, and whereas SGU has consistently blown me away every time, SGA made me feel like I was watching some low-budget B-movie.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

It IS a SyFy original.

Staff Sergeant Parallel Reality's Avatar

I thought that most of the special effects in Atlantis were pretty good.
    There some shots that were not the best but there was one that I can think of atm
    that was just horrible and that was hands down the hive landing in "Infection"
    Another one was the ending of "The Last Man"
    But yes SGU's special effects are awesome.

what i think that makes CGI in SGU better is that EVERYTHING matches.

IMO the CGI in the first three seasons was better than anything seen in Season 4 and 5. But I think the CGI was still great.

On the Destiny, preparing to propose to TJ.

oh god bamsr was an epic fail thru and thru when it comes to the cgi.
    Are you serious.. BASMR was some of the best CGI ever.

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by major davis View Post
    Nope, that would be reserved for the rising city in Rising.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Quote Originally Posted by major davis View Post
    Erm...riiiiiiiight.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Nope, that would be reserved for the rising city in Rising.

I think best use of CGI in SGA would be in the three episodes of The Siege. One particular shot of the city springs to mind. Nothing at all going on, but it was against a dark backdrop that really worked. Rewatching that ep the other day made me seriously regret the direction SGA chose. S1 and 2 of SGA were actually very good, and had quite a dark tone at times.

As for bad CGI... I say nothing's worse than The Lost Tribe.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

On the Destiny, preparing to propose to TJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    I think best use of CGI in SGA would be in the three episodes of The Siege. One particular shot of the city springs to mind. Nothing at all going on, but it was against a dark backdrop that really worked. Rewatching that ep the other day made me seriously regret the direction SGA chose. S1 and 2 of SGA were actually very good, and had quite a dark tone at times.

As for bad CGI... I say nothing's worse than The Lost Tribe.
    Wow... seriously.. I thought that CGI was great... First Contact also had great CGI. Also, what was wrong with BASMRS CGI?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast