Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distance of the 12 Colonies

Hey there,
    I always wandered, how far away are the planets from each other? lets say Tauron and Caprica, do you think it has more like an earth-mars distance, or do u think it is more far away? I wondered that myself after i rewatched the pilot again yesterday. So, Discuss please I am curious what you are thinking about that.
    sigpic

I always thought of the 12 Colonies to be part of the same solar system. Similar to Firefly (the series, explained in more detail at the start of it's movie, Serenity) that it was just one big solar system, with each colony based on a planet, or at least some based on the moons of other planets that may themselves have a colony.

sigpic

Comment

mh. okay, i always wondered how the colonization of the planets began in the bsg universe, i hope we get some answers in caprica someday to that. or did i miss that in bsg?
      sigpic

Comment

If theyr'e 12 individual life-supporting planets, then it's on hell of a solar system with a massive habitable region or lots of very hot and very cold people.

Comment

Indeed. Definitely one solar system.

It's not actually hard to find this via Google really

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Th...nies_%28RDM%29
          Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

According to the intro of TV cut of Caprica pilot and Serge's twitter, Caprica and Gemenon are twin planets orbiting each other. Of other colonies I have no further information.

Comment

is it possible the three or four star discreapcy could be solved by only three of four having full colonies

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

So 12 "worlds" in a trinary star system (with a possible fourth outlying star)?

This is one big-honkin' star system.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                  This is one big-honkin' star system.
                  Sounds like a good reason to settle there.
                  Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

It appears that the Battlestar Wiki takes a few liberties and often co-mingle information from the original series and assume it's the same in the re-imagined series.

From Wikipedia (reference notations removed):

In the original series, the twelve tribes settled on twelve different planets in the fictional Cyrannus galaxy. The new series has never clarified their relative positions in space; however, Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore has stated that all the colony planets are in the same star system, as described in the original series. This was also hinted at several times in the pilot episode.

Tweets from @SergeGraystone, SyFy's official twitter for Daniel Graystone's robot Sergie indicate the following about the astronomy of the 12 colonies: all 12 colonies are on planets within a cluster of 4 stars. Caprica and Gemenon (Caprica's twin) share an orbit around a central barycenter. Two planets orbit the gas giant Ragnar at Ragnar's LaGrange points. Picon is sometimes thought of as "Caprica, Jr." Slightly colder overall, clean, polite, originally colonized by Virgon. Aquarion features icy, brackish seas and a small research colony on a tiny continent. Aerilon and Aquarion located relatively close to one other. Libran is largely a wildlife reserve that also serves as home to the intercolonial court system. Canceron has many lovely beach resorts, but is also overcrowded and poor. Scorpio is noted for its lush jungles, suggesting that the climate of Scorpio may be tropical.
                    How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

With the fact "12 Planets, 3 Stars" I have always thought 3 stars meant three separate solar systems, perhaps fairly close together.

Think of it - the design of everything in the RDM universe (save for the GOD thing) has been logical and about it being practical. If there were 12 planets in one solar system (a trinary solar system), there would be no reason to develop Jump Drives! If, however, the Colonies were scattered out, there would be a reason to develop jump drives once the Colonies discovered each other after the first settlement (if they didn't know of each other before).

It seems to me a bit of a stretch of the imagination to have 12 habitable worlds in one solar system - it seems a less of a stretch to have 12 habitable worlds in 3 different solar systems that are relatively close together.

Cheers
                      Aussie

Comment

Some guy on BSG wiki made this its fanwank but i think he's along the right lines though some are twin planets

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem
                          bsg the plan
                          what..

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_86 View Post
                            With the fact "12 Planets, 3 Stars" I have always thought 3 stars meant three separate solar systems, perhaps fairly close together.

Think of it - the design of everything in the RDM universe (save for the GOD thing) has been logical and about it being practical. If there were 12 planets in one solar system (a trinary solar system), there would be no reason to develop Jump Drives! If, however, the Colonies were scattered out, there would be a reason to develop jump drives once the Colonies discovered each other after the first settlement (if they didn't know of each other before).

It seems to me a bit of a stretch of the imagination to have 12 habitable worlds in one solar system - it seems a less of a stretch to have 12 habitable worlds in 3 different solar systems that are relatively close together.

Cheers
                            Aussie
                            No actually it doesn't. Despite being in the same system we still don't know the size and relative positions of the planets and other celestial bodies. In a system as large as the one presented in Caprica and BSG a propulsion system capable of interstellar travel would be necessary. It appears that you are confusing star/stellar system with solar system. A solar system would be a single star (such as our sun (Sol)) and the celestial bodies bound by its gravitational force. A star or stellar system is a small number of stars orbiting each other and can include the celestial bodies bound by their gravitational force.
                            Last edited by aarlin81; 06 March 2010, 12:48 PM.
                            How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem
                              IN bsg the plan it was stated by the hybrid.

12 planets 3 stars.
                              actually it's "12 battles. 3 stars" I took that as meaning the 3 systems these kinds of wars have taken place: Kobol, Earth, and the Colonies.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X