This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie Etiquette For the Socially Inept

It seems that everytime I goto the movies my experience gets worse. I'm not sure what it is but the younger generation just seems to lack the social graces of their predecessors. I'm not that old only, 34 but most of the younger people I see are tools. Thats it for lack of a better description. They want to use their cell phone 24/7, they blurt out stupid comments as if they're funny during the movie, they try to put their feet up on the seat when you're below them etc. They seem to think they're all on the internet 24/7 where they can do and say what they want without repercussion.

1. If you are sick stay home don't goto the movies. I don't need to hear you sniffling and coughing the entire movie.

The other day I had an individual sit behind me coughing every 10 minutes. This person wasn't even covering their mouth. I got so fed up everytime the person did this I stood up facing them and mocked coughing in their face just as loudly. I said, oh you don't like it ? Guess what neither do I.

2. You don't need to use your cell phone for 1-2 hours. Nothing is that important to turn it on every 20 minutes and text some other dbag. Turn it off or leave it in the car or leave if you can't.

If I'm sitting there and constantly see cell phone lights I complain to the manager. I've had 6 people kicked from the theater for this. I ask to see the manager, explain myself, manager comes in and warns the person then stands up at the back. They use it again, manager walks down, come with me please and CYA no refund.

3. Keep your comments to yourself. You're not as funny as you think you are.

I had some mouth breather last night constantly muttering, whispering and adding commentary which he thought was very amusing but extremely irritating to hear. At one point in the movie they were visiting an insane asylum and they showed some gibbering, mentally handicapped person. I said aloud hey look its the guy behind me, after that he shut up.

4. Be Aware of your odours and rectify them.

I had to move once because some lady must've bathed in perfume it was revolting. I also had to move before because some heavy smoker sat beside us, also revolting having the stench of tobacco waft from them. You're going to a movie why do you need a bottle of cologne ? You're not impressing anyone.

I also had to move before because some heavy smoker sat beside us, also revolting having the stench of tobacco waft from them.
    at least we don't have that problem here - smoking is forbidden in movie theaters (and since recently, in all enclosed public places - offenders can get fined )

Comment

I didn't say they smoked. I said the smell of their tobacco implying they smoked previously and now smell like an ashtray. They don't seem to realize the odour of tobacco clings to them and actually lingers in any room they've been in.

Comment

or if they smoke in the car on the way to the theater, it permeates your clothes

how about : this is a theater, not your bedroom.....you wanna make out, just stay in the car, save yourself money and me having to listen to you swap bodily fluids
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

LOL guilty as charged.. I talk a little. I like to spoil the ending for people because I figure it out in the first ten minutes... I got pushed into my friend when I tried to tell my boyfriend that so and so was really this person .

Comment

skarwolf --
            I completely agree with you. However, you forgot a few.

Stupid little "mock fights"

This usually occurs after someone says something they thought was witty and involves a bunch of giggling and throwing a small amount of popcorn. Usually ends with someone belting out something like "dude, you almost made me drop my cell phone".

Fanboys/pseudo-experts

I don't care how familiar you are with the subject matter. So what if it's a remake or re-imagining? Nobody forces you to come see it and I really don't give two rat's balls about your opinion. Dissect the movie on your own time. I don't wanna hear it.

Pointing out the obvious

Do I really need to explain this one? You are a moron in any situation if you think you need to point these things out to people. If they wanna know, they'll ask.

catchphrase and pun repeaters

My brother is guilty as hell here. Just because someone says something in a movie and it's cool or funny doesn't mean repeating it makes you cool or an instant comedian.

Kids!!!

I'm 29 so a lot of people are "kids" to me. What I mean are people who drag their toddler brats to the theatre with them. Don't bring your 3 year old to see Transformers on opening weekend. In fact don't drag them out during the evening when the theatre is packed. Explain to your older kids how to be quiet and enjoy the movie. Again, I had gone to see Transformers. Bad enough the place was packed so I had to sit really close. Even worse I could hear some kid constantly asking "what's his name dad?" or "which transformer is he dad?" Perfect timing too. He'd usually ask at the exact moment they were introducing the character. So half the people in the theatre missed half the names of half the characters.

Now before someone with apparently piss poor reading comprehension skills chimes in, I have seen Transformers (and the sequel) many times since then so I don't need a crash course on the cast/characters.
            How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

i can say that i have not experienced any problems at my local theater. and i've lived here for 22 years.
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                i can say that i have not experienced any problems at my local theater. and i've lived here for 22 years.
                Yea I'm not sure where people are going to watch movies these days but I rarely ever experience any of these problems and I usually frequent about 3 different theaters in the area.

Although, with regards to the odor thing, I did have one experience when I was in Paris last summer and went to watch a movie, there was no AC and limited air circulation, which really amplified odors. However, by that time I was used to this (had already spent quite a bit of time in the city) so it really wasn't that big of a problem.
                sigpic

Comment

Why go to a movie theatre when you can simply watch it at home on DVD? And if it's not worth buying on DVD, then it's not really worth watching, is it.
                  If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                  Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                  If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                  Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                    Why go to a movie theatre when you can simply watch it at home on DVD? And if it's not worth buying on DVD, then it's not really worth watching, is it.
                    why wait months for it to come out on dvd?? movies like 2012,avatar and startrek 2009. translate better on the big screen .

Comment

the socially inept are why i only go to the theater once or twice a year.

i take

almost $10 to walk in the door
                      almost $10 if i want a soda and popcorn
                      15 minutes of ads
                      15 minutes of previews
                      driving across town, parking
                      yakking kids
                      ringing cell phones
                      the talkers, chatters, mumblers
                      having someone kicking the back of my seat

vs 11.99 getting the dvd previewed, $15-20 to buy it new

hey, for less money i can wait 6 months, watch it at my convenience, pause it for potty breaks and relive it whenever i want

The cost is almost prohibitive, yet if more peopel were nicer and i had less ads and previews, i'd go to the movies too often. But they're less a treat and more a feat of endurance and patience
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

why wait months for it to come out on dvd?? movies like 2012,avatar and startrek 2009. translate better on the big screen .
                        Some people have nice blue-ray players at home, as well has HDTVs.
                        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                          Some people have nice blue-ray players at home, as well has HDTVs.
                          but it's not the same. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            the socially inept are why i only go to the theater once or twice a year.

i take

almost $10 to walk in the door
                            almost $10 if i want a soda and popcorn
                            15 minutes of ads
                            15 minutes of previews
                            driving across town, parking
                            yakking kids
                            ringing cell phones
                            the talkers, chatters, mumblers
                            having someone kicking the back of my seat

vs 11.99 getting the dvd previewed, $15-20 to buy it new

hey, for less money i can wait 6 months, watch it at my convenience, pause it for potty breaks and relive it whenever i want

The cost is almost prohibitive, yet if more peopel were nicer and i had less ads and previews, i'd go to the movies too often. But they're less a treat and more a feat of endurance and patience
                            Precisely. I only go to the theater to watch movies that I really, really, really want to watch.

sigpic

Comment

but it's not the same. IMO
                              Agreed. It's much better in many ways IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X