X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis (BBC Movie) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Disaster! BBC to re-create the sinking of Atlantis a la 300

Want to know how Atlantis got "lost" in the first place? Well, the BBC has announced they are going to dig into the story of "the greatest natural disaster to shake the ancient world" through a 300-style film and a companion documentary.

Atlantis is the story of the Minoans, the first great civilization who lived on the island of Crete. The island was flooded by enormous tsunamis after a gigantic volcano erupted in the Aegean Sea and obliterated the nearby island of Thera. The film uses the work of leading scientists, archaeologists and historians to build a scenario for what the Minoans' civilization might have looked like.

"Atlantis will immerse the viewer in a world they've never seen before, in a brand new, exciting way," said executive producer Ailsa Orr (Pompeii—The Last Day). "The world of the Minoans and the disaster that wiped them out has been created using visual effects that have, to date, only ever been used in Hollywood movies. It offers our audiences a unique viewing experience—the closest they'll ever get to one of the greatest natural disasters of all time."

continues:
    http://scifiwire.com/2010/02/disaste...medium=twitter

Wow, maybe my TV licence fee will go towards something at least remotely interesting. I'm not sure how a 300 Style film would work, as the whole thing sounds like a documentary.

sigpic

Comment

I guess they'll sink the city in slowmotion, then?
      Mia: Don't you hate that?
      Vincent: Hate what?
      Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
      Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
      Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
      - Pulp Fiction

Comment

oh boy, i really hated 300... so....
        sigpic

Comment

Santorini go boom! bye bye minoans

i was kind of hoping that it would be a sci-fi-esque retelling of the story, ala Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis/ Disney's Atlantis but oh well.
          it's kind of misleading to call it Atlantis and not "the Fate of Minoa" or something like that. the story of Atlantis may have it's roots in the destruction of the minoan civilisation, but it's not the same thing really, the legend of atlantis has diverged too much from the reality of minoa.
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X