No announcement yet.

The Dresden Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm almost done with the fourth one but got distracted. Maybe I shouldn't read 4 different things at once.

Comment

Well I can understand. The fourth book in my opinion is a bit hard to get into. It's not my favorite book but it's still good. You usually just want to devour the books. The fifth book Death Masks is very interesting and is important to understand future events. The Micheal character is in the book.
      Last edited by geekywraith; 28 February 2010, 07:47 PM.
      Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.
      Nina: Everything else was taken.

Comment

I need to go and pick up Summer Knight ASAP, I wonder if any more sets of three books are going to be released. The first three books were released in a boxset...

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
          I need to go and pick up Summer Knight ASAP, I wonder if any more sets of three books are going to be released. The first three books were released in a boxset...
          I don't think so unfortunately. I bought the set of three books even if I had the hardcover books. They are re-releasing all of his books in the hardcover edition. I recommend all of the Dresden Files books (of course).
          Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.

Comment

Do you have to read the books in order? I read Stormfront and I'm thinking of jumping to Summer Knight next.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
              Do you have to read the books in order? I read Stormfront and I'm thinking of jumping to Summer Knight next.
              Yea, it requires certain information for continuity from previous books. Plus the books are supposed to get better as they go along so I'd do that let it build up as written. Generally things just make more sense cause certain characters and state of Dresden are established in them.

Comment

Reading them in sequence gives a nice continuity. I can't remember off hand what you'd be missing out on but I would say don't do it!
                Just being nosey curious...why do you want to do that anyway?

Has anyone listened to the audio books? I downloaded a few chapters of Storm Front and Grave Peril free from Jim Butchers site and really enjoyed them but haven't gotten around to buying any yet.
                sigpic

Comment

It's rated fairly higher than books 2 and 3 and I didn't want to waste time with those books if I didn't have to, oh and I listened to book one with James Marsters narrating. He actually did an amazing job. If I didn't know better I'd thought it was the guy who played Dresden on the tv show. Not only do they have similiar voices, but they also have very similiar mannerisms in their speech when they talk as Dresden. I typically prefer to read a book, but that was one instance where listening to the audio book was better.

Comment

Wasting time reading “those books”? I happen to have liked the first three books. The first book introduces the character and his universe. The other two start out his many adventures. I don’t consider it a waste of time having read each Dresden Files book. It’s better to read all of them in order for continuity sake. It helps you understand certain characters and events that happed before that you wouldn’t understand if you skipped a book. I prefer reading a good book. But if someone wants to skip certain books it's fine but you miss out on some great writing.

Comment

IMO skipping the books is a crazy idea.

Comment

It's rated fairly higher than books 2 and 3 and I didn't want to waste time with those books if I didn't have to, oh and I listened to book one with James Marsters narrating. He actually did an amazing job. If I didn't know better I'd thought it was the guy who played Dresden on the tv show. Not only do they have similiar voices, but they also have very similiar mannerisms in their speech when they talk as Dresden. I typically prefer to read a book, but that was one instance where listening to the audio book was better.
                        I don't know about the ratings but I found that the first few books were all really enjoyable and exciting ...I couldn't read them quickly enough. I love the later ones as well but I'm finding I now take longer to read them.... real life getting in the way mostly.

I thought James Marsden did/does a great job with the reading as well. Sometimes I find it relaxing having a story read to me....and if they weren't so expensive I'd probably buy a few.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                          IMO skipping the books is a crazy idea.
                          Indeed...

Originally posted by LizzieAnne View Post
                          I don't know about the ratings but I found that the first few books were all really enjoyable and exciting ...I couldn't read them quickly enough. I love the later ones as well but I'm finding I now take longer to read them.... real life getting in the way mostly.

I thought James Marsden did/does a great job with the reading as well. Sometimes I find it relaxing having a story read to me....and if they weren't so expensive I'd probably buy a few.
                          I completely agree with you. I wish that I could read faster because they so enjoyable and sometimes RL gets in the way. I could stay up all night reading but having to actually sleep is frustrating.

Look on Jim Butchers official website this month for the first free chapters of his new Dresden Files book CHANGES that will be released in early April.

Comment

From book 4 (just finished!) hilarious
                            Spoiler:
                            "I caught it, stuck my tongue out at Aurora, yelled, "Meep, meep!" and ran like hell."

"Toot blew another little blast on his trumpet and shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!"

"She put them all on, then looked at my gym bag. "Stil. going with the phallic foci, eh? Staff and rod?"*
                            "They make me feel all manly."

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                              From book 4 (just finished!) hilarious
                              Spoiler:
                              "I caught it, stuck my tongue out at Aurora, yelled, "Meep, meep!" and ran like hell."

"Toot blew another little blast on his trumpet and shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!"

"She put them all on, then looked at my gym bag. "Stil. going with the phallic foci, eh? Staff and rod?"*
                              "They make me feel all manly."
                              so funny

That's great! I never look at the pizza the same way. I think of Toot and the Lord of Pizza.
                              See you just want to devour the books and they have many funny moments.

So you'll start book 5 right? Something important happens to Dresden you'll see. No spoilers from me.
                              Last edited by geekywraith; 01 March 2010, 09:53 PM. Reason: typo...

Comment

Some of my favorite quotes from Summer Knight

Spoiler:
                                "It's a Chlorofiend." "A what?!" "Plant Monster!"

"Bite me, faerie fruitcake."

“When I burst out laughing at you, do you think you'll be offended?"

"I've filled my insincere courtesy quota for the day."

Comment

Working...
                                X