No announcement yet.

The Dresden Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preview chapters of (four total) Changes (book 12 to be released April 6th)

Chapter Two (was posted today):

http://jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/12/
    Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.
    Nina: Everything else was taken.

Comment

Ok so finished White Knight..
      Spoiler:
      It was awesome, we got to see all the major characters in one giant swoop. Well, not Micheal. And daaaaaaaaang never saw that coming with Lasciel. Wow, Harry is very smart to try to help her, probably a genius in some regards. Lasciel's redemption, well the shadow version. That was awesome. He shed some well deserved tears for her too. Molly is still a little annoying, but she is learning her limitations. And that was hilarious with Ramirez. Never saw that coming. Virgin. That was just awesome. Good ol Harry, always the comedian.

Comment

Spoiler:
        This was hilarious from uh Dead Beat, I think? When Kincaid and Murphy go to the nest of Red Court Vampires. Kincaid gives out the orders and the battle plan then goes any questions? Harry goes why do hot dogs come in packs of 10 and buns in packs of 8? Good question, Harry. Here's why...

Comment

You already finished White Night? Did you actually get some sleep? Impressive. I’m glad you liked this book. White Night is an excellent book. Small Favor is also very good. No worries Dresden isn’t as dark in it. Kincaid is in it and so is the archive.

Spoiler:
          Dresden can be hilarious at times. I totally forgot about the packs of hot dog and packs of buns. Right in the middle of action he defuses it with a good question.

Small Favor
          There is a mysterious island (important element for Turn Coat). Mab is in it. Harry receives a gift, a power… Watch out for Capt Luccio. All I’m going to say is that her sudden interest in Dresden is suspicious because she was against him before the body switch in Dead Beat.

In the book in chapter 34 of Small Favors there is a reference to a short story in another book. I laughed when I read it. It’s about having fruit punch breath. I’ll only tell you about it when you’ve read this chapter. It’s spoilery stuff.
          Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.

Comment

Spoiler:
            lol I read it, fruit punch spit! Almost done Small Favor, lol the third Gruff brother, hilarious and scary, he just tossed the fallen angel like nothing? Crazy. I stopped at that part. And poor Michael. This one is just awesome, epicness, how everything comes together, and just everything. Bit sad to start the next one cause after that, have to wait for the next ones. Will slow down I guess.

Comment

Spoiler:
              Almost done with Small Favor? Awesome. It’s a very good book. I like how it’s written and everything that happens in it. A funny line at the aquarium before the attack, is when Harry looks at an ugly dolphin and raises his fist and says to it:“Represent!”. That made me laugh.

Well after Small Favor there’s Turn Coat and then Changes (April 6). After that like any Dresden Files fan comes the long wait for a new book. The books are too good to slow down once you've started reading one.

Yes fruit punch spit... but it’s a reference to a short story and something that happened. Maybe you've read it.

Book:
              My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
              Collection of short stories from different authors (2006)

Jim Butchers story is called:

Something Borrowed (Dresden does CPR on Murphy who drowned in a bowl of fruit punch...)
              p.66-67

“Harry?”
              I leaned down, causing runnels of punch to slide into one of my eyes and asked quietly, “Yeah?”
              “You have fruit punch mouth” she whispered…

Small Favor (fruit punch mouth reference)

Chapter 34 (Murphy does CPR on Dresden who drowned at the aquarium)

“CPR?” I asked her. My voice felt weak.
              “Yeah”
              “Guess we’re even then”, I said
              “Like hell we are”, she said quietly. “I only spit fruit punch into your mouth”
              (because Dresden had dolphin breath...)

This is a reference to the illustrations on the Dresden Files books. Dresden on all the cover illustrations wears a hat and in the books it has never been mentioned. Fact he doesn’t wear one. Perhaps the illustrator thought Dresden looked better with a hat. It’s not a wizard’s hat and not a fedora…

The author made a point in this short sample to that amusing fact.

My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon (2008)
              Collection of short stories from different authors

Jim Butcher short story: “Heorot”

p.46

(Dresden) “The falling rain would wash away the spell on my amulet if I left in out in the open, so I shielded as carefully as I could with the building and my hand. A hat would have come in handy for that purpose, actually, maybe I should get one."

Last edited by geekywraith; 14 March 2010, 06:55 PM. Reason: added more

Comment

Spoiler:
                I've read all the shorts except Heorot and the ones after that. Day Off and some others. lol I had to reread it to get it. Oh man. Too bad they only kiss to pump oxygen except that one time when Murphy helps out Dresden and he kisses her suddenly out of thanks. I was thinking there would be repercussions but there wasn't. I forget which book though. Wow, never realized that he doesn't wear a hat.

And with Small Favor, Bob's a mini-archive? Wow, should have seen that coming. I thought he was an air spirit? And are there more like him? I hope they address that. And wow, the Black Council pulling strings. So Murphy did get the sword after the fake-out, but who's gonna get Michael's? I think maybe Thomas or Susan? Will have to see. You've read the 11th already. Do they address that? So many other questions and mysteries, but I forget.

I haven't really started the next one. Read Catcher in the Rye instead, was pretty good. I'm delaying, I know. Hoping to time it so that after I'm done, the 12th will be out. Or maybe I should just reread all of em again. They're just so good.

Comment

Spoiler:
                  You’ve read all the shorts except Heorot. That’s great it can make a person discover an author and motivate them to read the books. I've read all the shorts and the books and the two graphic novels.

I too don’t remember in which book Dresden kissed Murphy out of thanks. Dresden doesn’t wear a hat because it’s unpractical in battle and while escaping a villain trying to kill you.

Bob is an air spirit but he’s like a mini archive. He’s resourceful and possesses good and dangerous knowledge. I don’t know if he’s unique in the Nevernever. I think it's never been adressed in other books.

The Black Council is powerful and has infiltrated the White Council. I didn’t remember Murphy getting the sword in Turn Coat. I though she refused to have it. I don’t know who will get Micheal's sword. Turn Coat doesn’t address that if I think. Susan disappeared after Grave Peril. I’ve read the 11th book a year ago. I don’t remember specific details of all the books. Indeed there are unanswered questions and mysteries.

The Island in Small Favor is an important element; Dresden battles an uber scary “thing”. His friends Billy and the gang are back. The Gatekeeper is in the story. There are more Dresden Uber whumps in this story. Dresden got a new power in Small Favor “soul fire” and in Turn Coat he gets a new one.

You haven’t started reading Turn Coat? Don’t delay too much April will arrive fast with the newest book. Well I’m glad you enjoyed reading the Dresden Files. Rereading the books is always enjoyable and always interesting.
                  Last edited by geekywraith; 12 March 2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Dang, there are graphic novels? Gotta go get em somewhere. Ahh, I thought she kept the sword guess not. Don't really get the whole conduit thing in the island. Yea, soul fire seems crazy. Wish there were visuals so I can see what he's describing. I have a hard time visualizing some things. Started Turn Coat a bit. They just scared off the shadow cat thing after it killed one of the werewolves. Guess Dresden is really spooked but not enough to not be able to run away lol, and Morgan beat one with a nuke! Hilarious.

Comment

Spoiler:
                      Yes there are two graphic novels. The third one will be released in November. They are very good. Jim Butcher wrote the stories. I really liked the first one The Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle.

For more information you can look here:
                      http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/au...authorid=84567

You can buy them on Amazon or in any good book store. Or on the site that I provided you with.

Excellent! You started reading Turn Coat. If I was Dresden I wouldn’t help Morgan after everything that he did. He has a lot of nerve showing up on Dresden's door step. But that’s Dresden siding with the underdog and finding out the truth. The uber creature that Dresden saw with his wizard’s sigh really freaked him out. It’s a powerful and ancient “thing”. Yes it’s funny how Morgan killed one with a nuke.

About the island I don’t remember why it’s a conduct. The island is powerful and aware of visitors. It doesn't like the Gatekeeper if I remember it right. Dresden can connect himself to it and know where the baddies are.

The soul fire thing is dangerous because if he over uses it he can die. It was a gift because he refuses the coin. I like Dresden’s ability to punch holes into buildings with his power especially when he’s angry like he did with Marcone’s gym place in White Night.

Well Turn Coat deals with an ancient “thing” that can shape shift. It's smart and dangerous. Dresden doesn't run in battle. He usually has a smart remark to annoy his adversary and fights him after. Dresden had a sense of “déjà vu” on the island like he’s been there before in Small Favor. Dresden’s wizard abilities are growing. His new ability is precognition. The Gatekeeper and a few White Council members will prove useful to Dresden on the island. What happens to Thomas is a bit sad for Dresden.

In a short story by Jim Butcher called “The Warrior” published in a book called Mean Streets (2009) - collection of short stories - talks about the swords. He has Micheal and Shiro’s swords.

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Oh, jeez. I have to find them somewhere. I didn't know there were so much more than just the books. Haven't seen the TV show. Maybe I'll get on it after Turn Coat.

The soulfire was a gift? Ugh, I have to reread. It's ok. I'll enjoy it though. Yea, feel bad for Thomas. He's trying though which says a lot. I hope it pays off.

Gatekeeper's mysterious, haven't got to that part in the book yet though. I stopped where he just entered Edinburgh. Oh yea he met McCoy too. The ubber baddie is sorta cliche but will see how it plays out.

Comment

Spoiler:
                          Uriel gave Harry the ability to harness soulfire in Small Favor. He was disguised as the janitor at the hospital’s church when Dresden was waiting for news on Micheal’s condition. They met before and Dresden is not aware of it. Uriel is an archangel, a spiritual being not bound into a coin like the Denarians. He likes to be unnoticed. He was also the janitor as the Union Station in Small Favor who made the floors slippery for the Gruffs.

In Small Favor after Murphy saved him with CPR Dresden was staring at his hand and couldn’t understand what was wrong. He could feel power in his hand but nothing was happening. Mab messed with his head perhaps attempting to prevent him for harnessing this power. Lash only him access to hellfire and didn't give it to him since he never accepter her. Hellfire is destructive power. Bob said that soulfire is more than just powerful and flexible magic. Dresden is much more powerful with it because he can control it better. When Lash left he lost access to hellfire and gained access to soulfire. Uriel showed up and said that because he resisted Lasciel and the coin he can harness soulfire.

You find the uber baddie in Turn Coat cliché? Perhaps he is...but hopefully not in a bad way. It’s been almost a year since I’ve read the book. I takes a lot of imagination to picture the uber baddie in battle since he's a shape shifter. The Gatekeeper is indeed mysterious and very powerful. Keep reading.

About the TV series...
                          I found it to be too loosely adapted from the books. They made so many changes. In the TV series Dresden isn’t powerful and he’s kind of silly. We don’t see much wizard/magic stuff. Murphy is totally different and not really an ally. She never believes in the supernatural. In an episode Dresden hooks up with Bianca (red court vampire). Now... in the books that would NEVER ever happen. Susan is very different is disappears along with the cat like they never existed after the first episode. My guess is that to make the TV show viewer/family friendly Dresden’s appearance is different. He doesn’t wear a pentagram, or his long leather coat and doesn’t carry his staff and gear. He carries this silly hockey stick. Bob the skull is a spirit that takes the shape of a person. They changed major plots like Harry’s past. It’s not a bad TV series but definitely A.U Dresden.

I’d rather read the books than watch this series. The lead actor that played Dresden was well chosen at least and did a good job. Jim Butcher guest stared in an episode as an extra (in the episode What about Bob).

Comment

Side Jobs, a compilation of Dresden Files short stories. Slated for November 11th 2010,
                            this anthology brings together the following stories:

- "Restoration of Faith" (read for free on Jim's Butchers website)
                            - "Vignette" (read for free on Jim's Butchers website)
                            - "Something Borrowed" -- from My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
                            - "It's My Birthday Too" -- from Many Bloody Returns
                            - "Heorot" -- from My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
                            - "Day Off" -- from Blood Lite
                            - Backup -- novelette from Thomas' POV, originally published by Subterranean Press
                            - The Warrior -- novelette from Mean Streets
                            - "Last Call" -- from Strange Brew
                            - "Love Hurts" -- from Songs of Love and Death
                            - And exclusive, all-new material.

I've bought all of the books only for the Dresden Files short stories. I'm going to buy the anthology anyway for the all-new material that I don't have and to have all the shorts stories together.

Plus Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files third graphic novel: Storm Front vol 2 Maelstrom HC will be released in Nov 15 2010.

Changes desktop wallpaper, featuring cover art by Chris McGrath. Download it as desktop wallpaper:
                            http://jim-butcher.com/news/

This is going to be the cover of Side Jobs since the illustrator who does the covers calls this illustration by the same name. Dresden wears a hat again.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Great stuff! Can't green you for it yet, spread blah blah.

I read Welcome to the Jungle. That was great! Keeps in tune with the characters. Murphy scowls a lot. Harry still has his charm. He has sorta red hair though? Eh doesn't matter. I like it for the story. Cool bad guys, well girls? All in all it was awesome to have a visual of the things he does and the characters. Wanna see how the Denarians looks though. Think it'd be hard to draw the feelings the White Court vampires inflict on others. Eh.

Now a technical question, I thought Welcome to the Jungle is before Harry gets Hellfire. I saw him use it though.

There were like two just hilarious scenes in Turn Coat that I've read so far:

The part where everyone is at each other's throat in his apartment and he casually walks over someone to get a coke and says that Mouse is the only one with any sense in here. And he asks him what's going on. LOL

The other part is before he goes to the lawyer's office-
                              “It isn’t a club,” I said calmly. “It’s a walking stick.”
                              “Six feet long.”
                              “It’s traditional Ozark folk art.”
                              “With dents and nicks all over it.”
                              I thought about it for a second. “I’m insecure?”
                              “Get a blanket.” He held out his hand.
                              I sighed and passed my staff over to him. “Do I get a receipt?”
                              He took a notepad from his pocket and wrote on it. Then he passed it over to me. It read:
                              Received, one six foot traditional Ozark walking club from Mr. Smart-ass.
                              “That’s Doctor Smart-ass,” I said. “I didn’t spend eight years in insult college to be called Mister.”

Soulfire seems crazy. It gets power from the soul and takes time to heal. But the possibilities and level of power of it is higher. I can't wait to see how creative he gets with it. I mean with regular magic he did mini-Chicago and can't forget Sue. Wonder what soulfire would be good for.

Yea, agree that the shape shifter is really cool. Creative flexible, intelligent, and capable enemy. Wonder how Harry will outsmart him though. Getting a little tired of the White Court Vampires though. But, I've never really been a fan of politics and subtle powers of influence. Maybe it'll be cool though. Gonna continue reading.

And a general question, are there any other works similar or good as this series? Well close to, don't think any would come close to as good as.

Comment

Spoiler:
                                Ah well thanks. Green me when you can. Dresden green is always appreciated.

Oh good you found a copy of Welcome to the Jungle. I’m glad that you enjoyed it. The author had a big part in the look of it. Graphic novels aren’t for everyone’s taste. Welcome to the Jungle is a good story. It takes place before Storm Front. Dresden doesn’t have hellfire in this book even if it might look like he does. He uses his wizard’s powers with his staff. It’s a comic book so they have to make it look “cool”. I don’t like the look of it very much. It should’ve looked a bit darker. Murphy looks like this uber tough chick that frowns way too much and Dresden has red hair. In the books she has a softer look and Dresden is a bit different. They made Dresden’s car look normal and not multi-colored. In general it’s a great adaptation that stays true to the books and I’m trilled that it was made.

Ah yes there are many funny moments in Turn Coat like each book. Thanks for reminding me of some of them. Doctor Smart-ass and insult college are hilarious replies. Mouse is no regular dog. He will prove usefull in Turn Coat in the White Council if I remember correctly.

I’m not a fan of the character Morgan or Luccio but Harry’s does the right thing backing him up to find out what’s trully going on. Molly is still a annoying…

Well I agree that the White Court vampire thing is tiresome to read at times. Well the Black Council uses its subtle powers of influence in the White Council. I don’t like politics in books either but I think that in this case it isn’t that bad because it’s the Dresdenverse. The confrontation between Dresden and the “uber-baddie” is epic.

Well I can’t wait to see how powerful he can be now in the upcoming book Changes with his kid being kidnapped. Keep reading.

I don’t know if there are any other similar or as good series as this. I’ve never read a series as good as this one and that I enjoyed as much. I would be surprised if another existed.

Comment

Working...
                                X