No announcement yet.

The Dresden Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's ok about the spoilers, doesn't mean I'm not going to read.
    Spoiler:
    Ahh Molly, I've already forgotten who she is. Is she Michael's kid? Getting pretty crazy with his innovative magic usage. I feel like he's going to accept Lasciel's (misspelled I think) offer to save others. I thought he was going to do it in dead beat. And that part was awesome when Butters is continuing his beat within a circle. Love how the author makes it so Dresden is always fighting the uphill battle all by himself. Others don't really help him too much or are too busy being suspicious of him. And I wonder how strong the Gatekeeper is compared to the Merlin.

Comment

Oh good. I don't want to spoil anything.

Spoiler:
      Yes Molly is Michael’s kid. About Lasciel. I won’t spoil it for you but she does help him on occasion. He calls her "Lash". It’s very interesting especially in the book White Night. Indeed Dresden does fight him battles by himself and doesn’t get the proper recognition. In every book Dresden get uber hurt and does plenty of harm to the baddies. I like Dresden's destructive powers towards buildings and other things. The white council is always on his back. Morgan and a few others really don’t like him. I’ll just say captain Lucios behavior is suspicious with Harry. The Gatekeeper has faith in Dresden but I think that the Merlin is the most powerful wizard in the Council.
      Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.
      Nina: Everything else was taken.

Comment

Spoiler:
        Why is he called the Gatekeeper though? What gate? And as much as I am for mystery, but he and McNally are by far the most intriguing. And Dresden's past and parents of course. And I don't understand how he sees his father at those times like in the graveyard.

Comment

The Gatekeeper and McNally...
          Spoiler:
          I'm exactly sure why. We know that he’s a guardian. He makes sure that nothing bad comes through an open gate. The Nevernever and the world people live in. That makes him important and powerful.

McAnally...he has some knowledge of how magic works from the way that he designed his bar. (to disperse stray magical energy)

In Dead Beat... I don't know why he sees his father at the graveyard. Perhaps it was to give him hope with all the stuff he went through.
          Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.

Comment

So many mysteries
            Spoiler:
            Ahh about the gatekeeper, you mean those Outsider demons that the Red Court employed? And I don't quite dislike Harry's mentor (forgetting the name) unlike Harry, because he fills a necessary role. Sometimes violence is necessary. And he isn't abusing the powers for his personal gain, I mean it is for the good of the White Council. And How On Earth did he pull down a satellite.

Comment

Indeed.

Spoiler:
              The gatekeeper is a member of the white council. All I remember is that he’s a guardian. Don’t remember much else. He does believe in Dresden and that's a good thing… Harry’s mentor is called Ebenezar BlackStaff Mcoy. How he pulled that trick I don’t know how he did it. It would have been funny to read the perpective of Ortega just before he is crushed by it.
              Last edited by geekywraith; 07 March 2010, 10:03 AM. Reason: Misspelled name

Comment

Spoiler:
                LOL yeah. I would imagine lots of curses in whatever language he is most curses knowledgeable about. And Bob's pretty intriguing too, wonder if there are any other like him. And how his possession of living things works.

Comment

Spoiler:
                  Indeed curses and bad words... Bob is a spirit from the Nevernever and doesn’t like going back there. Bob is almost Harry's teacher when he makes certain potions and spells. He's really very old and he can be good and evil as well depending on his owner. In Dead Beat Harry asks him about one of his previous owner Kemmler and it turned scary for Harry. He’s intelligent and oddly enough likes to read certain books… I like it when he possesses Mister the cat for missions. The cat doesn’t seem to appreciate it.

Comment

Image of the cover for book 12
                    Spoiler:

Publication Date: April 6 2010 (Hardcover)

I'm really impatient... One more month of waiting.

Before I even read the books description, I guessed mostly what it would be about
                    because of the cover is kind of spoilery.

Comment

Spoiler:
                      Seems so, Mayan ritual craziness. About halfway done with Proven Guilty. Murphy really shot him down with the romance. I feel bad for the guy. Molly is a bit annoying but haven't seen too much of her. Bob is hilarious. I don't understand. What did Harry do to piss off Mab? Because she won't be his knight? Weird. Why doesn't he just summon her up by summoning up his godmother? Won't she come? It's weird with Lasciel, is she a ghost of the coin or is she really her? Kinda like Firescape, where she is a remnant or is she really there from the coin. Confused. Will continue reading. This one isn't really going as fast as I would have hoped.

Comment

So many mysteries...
                        Spoiler:
                        That’s good being halfway done. Proven Guilty is indeed longer to read. Murphy realized that she and Harry are different. He’s going to live longer than her and she wants a regular life. He’s a wizard that deals with the supernatural. I did feel bad for him. Especially when Charity (Molly's mother) is being mean to him. It’s funny how tiny Murphy is compared to Dresden. I do like how much she cares about him. At least they’ll be great friends. We both agree that Molly is kind of annoying… and that Bob is very funny.

I don’t remember what Harry did the anger Mab. She’s a bit insane I think. I think it’s because he refused to be her knight. I don’t remember why he doesn’t summon his godmother. Maybe it’s because he would owe her a favor I think or it’s because of what happened in Summer Knight.

Kind of like Farscape with Scorpius neural clone… Lasciel is a shadow copy that lives in his head. She’s powerful enough to try and tempt him. She has knowledge and can offer power. But he refuses her and tries to ignore her as best as he can. Keep reading.

The next book White Night (book 9) is awesome.

Comment

Spoiler:
                          It really drags on with descriptions and rituals. Kinda hard to read. Hoping it picks up pace. Charity's nuts, commando mom but her intentions are good. Wonder when Murphy gets the sword. I would think it'd be obvious she is meant for it. Guess she has to lose her cop gig first.

Comment

I agree that sometimes the descriptions and the rituals are a bit long in Proven Guilty. It’s like if it was an actual ritual writing them… The story is told form Dresden’s perspective. So the descriptions of the rituals are necessary because he’s a wizard / this is fantasy (because he always does in mosts books).

Spoiler:
                            Hopefully you’ll find it not too difficult to finishing this book and that you’ll enjoy the next book White Night more than this one. I found that Summer Knight and Proven Guilty are a bit difficult to understand because of some of the characters and events. It’s not a waste of time reading them since there are some great moments and some great one liners. Dead Beat was an excellent book and I think that it’s tough to surpass right after it. Like any series some books are better than others.

Commando mom Charity. That’s funny. She’s like a mama bear going nuts to protect her cub. Charity should be nicer to Dresden because of her secret. Dresden said that Molly has a talent for magic because it comes from the mother’s side. Dresden magical talents came from his mother who was powerful (Death Mask, Blood Rites). Dresden had to lie to Micheal (protecting Charity’s lie) saying that sometimes magical abilities can come from nowhere. Michael rescued Charity from a Dragon (one like Ferro like in Grave Peril). She gave up her magic and never told Micheal the truth. If I was Harry I would advice Charity to be nicer if not Micheal would find out the truth.

Murphy should get the sword but we don’t know if that will happen…

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Well, started White Knight. Proven guilty was ok, I think that whole thing established Molly as a character. The only major development was the "Black Council" but probably some others. Oh yea Michael finds out about the remnant in Harry. I don't get it, he can solve cases and offer intuition that we would have never thought of, but he can't see that Murphy is meant for the sword when he sees her with his Sight? Eh, guess that'll come along sometime later. Thomas is mysterious in White Knight so far. Haven't finished it yet. Got to see mini-Chicago at work though, that was cool and confusing as hell. Ahh, Harry gets darker with his vengeful killing spree. But glad it's directed against the bad guys. Will read to see what happens.

So who are your favorite characters besides Harry ? Oh mind not including new characters from 10, 11. Haven't read those so far.

Me:
                              Bob
                              McNally (mysterious)
                              Kincaid (mysterious)
                              Mouse
                              Mister

Heck all of em to various degrees, well most of em.
                              Last edited by jmoz; 09 March 2010, 12:42 AM. Reason: added a bit

Comment

Spoiler:
                                Harry hasn’t found anyone to give the sword to since Death Mask. Maybe he’s meant to keep it? But he’s a wizard and I don’t think he will because he isn’t big on faith like Micheal is. Harry believes that Magic is the force of life and force of creation. He has faith in his magic for it to work. Murphy has faith in the Law and to protect people. Indeed Murphy would probably have to give up being a cop if she accepted the sword. The “Black Council" is a very important development. There is a traitor on the White Council.

In White Night…
                                Proven Guilty did establish Molly as a recurring character. She’s more grown up this time. Harry is darker and seems to have a lot of anger and thankfully used against enemies. I like scary Harry. Thanks to Lasciel he can understand and speak odd languages. He has a new power Brimstone fire which is cool when he destroys buildings and scares the bad guys. Harry has never accepted the coin and still resists Lasciel's influence even if she’s in his head. You'll see what happens to Lasciel.
                                Keep reading.

Look here: Who gets the sword?
                                http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/i...opic,73.0.html

Well my favorite characters are… (Harry of course!)

Bob
                                Murphy
                                Thomas
                                Mouse
                                Kincaid
                                Mister
                                Lasciel (you'll see why)
                                Billy

Comment

Working...
                                X