Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Air Force Chief of Staff geekywraith's Avatar

Default Re: The Dresden Files

Indeed.

Spoiler:
    The gatekeeper is a member of the white council. All I remember is that he’s a guardian. Don’t remember much else. He does believe in Dresden and that's a good thing… Harry’s mentor is called Ebenezar BlackStaff Mcoy. How he pulled that trick I don’t know how he did it. It would have been funny to read the perpective of Ortega just before he is crushed by it.
    Last edited by geekywraith; March 7th, 2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Misspelled name

Spoiler:
    LOL yeah. I would imagine lots of curses in whatever language he is most curses knowledgeable about. And Bob's pretty intriguing too, wonder if there are any other like him. And how his possession of living things works.

Spoiler:
    Indeed curses and bad words... Bob is a spirit from the Nevernever and doesn’t like going back there. Bob is almost Harry's teacher when he makes certain potions and spells. He's really very old and he can be good and evil as well depending on his owner. In Dead Beat Harry asks him about one of his previous owner Kemmler and it turned scary for Harry. He’s intelligent and oddly enough likes to read certain books… I like it when he possesses Mister the cat for missions. The cat doesn’t seem to appreciate it.

Image of the cover for book 12
    Spoiler:

Publication Date: April 6 2010 (Hardcover)

I'm really impatient... One more month of waiting.

Before I even read the books description, I guessed mostly what it would be about
    because of the cover is kind of spoilery.

Spoiler:
    Seems so, Mayan ritual craziness. About halfway done with Proven Guilty. Murphy really shot him down with the romance. I feel bad for the guy. Molly is a bit annoying but haven't seen too much of her. Bob is hilarious. I don't understand. What did Harry do to piss off Mab? Because she won't be his knight? Weird. Why doesn't he just summon her up by summoning up his godmother? Won't she come? It's weird with Lasciel, is she a ghost of the coin or is she really her? Kinda like Firescape, where she is a remnant or is she really there from the coin. Confused. Will continue reading. This one isn't really going as fast as I would have hoped.

So many mysteries...
    Spoiler:
    That’s good being halfway done. Proven Guilty is indeed longer to read. Murphy realized that she and Harry are different. He’s going to live longer than her and she wants a regular life. He’s a wizard that deals with the supernatural. I did feel bad for him. Especially when Charity (Molly's mother) is being mean to him. It’s funny how tiny Murphy is compared to Dresden. I do like how much she cares about him. At least they’ll be great friends. We both agree that Molly is kind of annoying… and that Bob is very funny.

I don’t remember what Harry did the anger Mab. She’s a bit insane I think. I think it’s because he refused to be her knight. I don’t remember why he doesn’t summon his godmother. Maybe it’s because he would owe her a favor I think or it’s because of what happened in Summer Knight.

Kind of like Farscape with Scorpius neural clone… Lasciel is a shadow copy that lives in his head. She’s powerful enough to try and tempt him. She has knowledge and can offer power. But he refuses her and tries to ignore her as best as he can. Keep reading.

The next book White Night (book 9) is awesome.

Spoiler:
    It really drags on with descriptions and rituals. Kinda hard to read. Hoping it picks up pace. Charity's nuts, commando mom but her intentions are good. Wonder when Murphy gets the sword. I would think it'd be obvious she is meant for it. Guess she has to lose her cop gig first.

I agree that sometimes the descriptions and the rituals are a bit long in Proven Guilty. It’s like if it was an actual ritual writing them… The story is told form Dresden’s perspective. So the descriptions of the rituals are necessary because he’s a wizard / this is fantasy (because he always does in mosts books).

Spoiler:
    Hopefully you’ll find it not too difficult to finishing this book and that you’ll enjoy the next book White Night more than this one. I found that Summer Knight and Proven Guilty are a bit difficult to understand because of some of the characters and events. It’s not a waste of time reading them since there are some great moments and some great one liners. Dead Beat was an excellent book and I think that it’s tough to surpass right after it. Like any series some books are better than others.

Commando mom Charity. That’s funny. She’s like a mama bear going nuts to protect her cub. Charity should be nicer to Dresden because of her secret. Dresden said that Molly has a talent for magic because it comes from the mother’s side. Dresden magical talents came from his mother who was powerful (Death Mask, Blood Rites). Dresden had to lie to Micheal (protecting Charity’s lie) saying that sometimes magical abilities can come from nowhere. Michael rescued Charity from a Dragon (one like Ferro like in Grave Peril). She gave up her magic and never told Micheal the truth. If I was Harry I would advice Charity to be nicer if not Micheal would find out the truth.

Murphy should get the sword but we don’t know if that will happen…

Spoiler:
    Well, started White Knight. Proven guilty was ok, I think that whole thing established Molly as a character. The only major development was the "Black Council" but probably some others. Oh yea Michael finds out about the remnant in Harry. I don't get it, he can solve cases and offer intuition that we would have never thought of, but he can't see that Murphy is meant for the sword when he sees her with his Sight? Eh, guess that'll come along sometime later. Thomas is mysterious in White Knight so far. Haven't finished it yet. Got to see mini-Chicago at work though, that was cool and confusing as hell. Ahh, Harry gets darker with his vengeful killing spree. But glad it's directed against the bad guys. Will read to see what happens.

So who are your favorite characters besides Harry ? Oh mind not including new characters from 10, 11. Haven't read those so far.

Me:
    Bob
    McNally (mysterious)
    Kincaid (mysterious)
    Mouse
    Mister

Heck all of em to various degrees, well most of em.
    Last edited by jmoz; March 9th, 2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: added a bit

Spoiler:
    Harry hasn’t found anyone to give the sword to since Death Mask. Maybe he’s meant to keep it? But he’s a wizard and I don’t think he will because he isn’t big on faith like Micheal is. Harry believes that Magic is the force of life and force of creation. He has faith in his magic for it to work. Murphy has faith in the Law and to protect people. Indeed Murphy would probably have to give up being a cop if she accepted the sword. The “Black Council" is a very important development. There is a traitor on the White Council.

In White Night…
    Proven Guilty did establish Molly as a recurring character. She’s more grown up this time. Harry is darker and seems to have a lot of anger and thankfully used against enemies. I like scary Harry. Thanks to Lasciel he can understand and speak odd languages. He has a new power Brimstone fire which is cool when he destroys buildings and scares the bad guys. Harry has never accepted the coin and still resists Lasciel's influence even if she’s in his head. You'll see what happens to Lasciel.
    Keep reading.

Look here: Who gets the sword?
    http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/i...opic,73.0.html

Well my favorite characters are… (Harry of course!)

Bob
    Murphy
    Thomas
    Mouse
    Kincaid
    Mister
    Lasciel (you'll see why)
    Billy

Preview chapters of (four total) Changes (book 12 to be released April 6th)

Chapter Two (was posted today):

http://jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/12/

Ok so finished White Knight..
    Spoiler:
    It was awesome, we got to see all the major characters in one giant swoop. Well, not Micheal. And daaaaaaaaang never saw that coming with Lasciel. Wow, Harry is very smart to try to help her, probably a genius in some regards. Lasciel's redemption, well the shadow version. That was awesome. He shed some well deserved tears for her too. Molly is still a little annoying, but she is learning her limitations. And that was hilarious with Ramirez. Never saw that coming. Virgin. That was just awesome. Good ol Harry, always the comedian.

Spoiler:
    This was hilarious from uh Dead Beat, I think? When Kincaid and Murphy go to the nest of Red Court Vampires. Kincaid gives out the orders and the battle plan then goes any questions? Harry goes why do hot dogs come in packs of 10 and buns in packs of 8? Good question, Harry. Here's why...

You already finished White Night? Did you actually get some sleep? Impressive. I’m glad you liked this book. White Night is an excellent book. Small Favor is also very good. No worries Dresden isn’t as dark in it. Kincaid is in it and so is the archive.

Spoiler:
    Dresden can be hilarious at times. I totally forgot about the packs of hot dog and packs of buns. Right in the middle of action he defuses it with a good question.

Small Favor
    There is a mysterious island (important element for Turn Coat). Mab is in it. Harry receives a gift, a power… Watch out for Capt Luccio. All I’m going to say is that her sudden interest in Dresden is suspicious because she was against him before the body switch in Dead Beat.

In the book in chapter 34 of Small Favors there is a reference to a short story in another book. I laughed when I read it. It’s about having fruit punch breath. I’ll only tell you about it when you’ve read this chapter. It’s spoilery stuff.

Spoiler:
    lol I read it, fruit punch spit! Almost done Small Favor, lol the third Gruff brother, hilarious and scary, he just tossed the fallen angel like nothing? Crazy. I stopped at that part. And poor Michael. This one is just awesome, epicness, how everything comes together, and just everything. Bit sad to start the next one cause after that, have to wait for the next ones. Will slow down I guess.

Spoiler:
    Almost done with Small Favor? Awesome. It’s a very good book. I like how it’s written and everything that happens in it. A funny line at the aquarium before the attack, is when Harry looks at an ugly dolphin and raises his fist and says to it:“Represent!”. That made me laugh.

Well after Small Favor there’s Turn Coat and then Changes (April 6). After that like any Dresden Files fan comes the long wait for a new book. The books are too good to slow down once you've started reading one.

Yes fruit punch spit... but it’s a reference to a short story and something that happened. Maybe you've read it.

Book:
    My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
    Collection of short stories from different authors (2006)

Jim Butchers story is called:

Something Borrowed (Dresden does CPR on Murphy who drowned in a bowl of fruit punch...)
    p.66-67

“Harry?”
    I leaned down, causing runnels of punch to slide into one of my eyes and asked quietly, “Yeah?”
    “You have fruit punch mouth” she whispered…

Small Favor (fruit punch mouth reference)

Chapter 34 (Murphy does CPR on Dresden who drowned at the aquarium)

“CPR?” I asked her. My voice felt weak.
    “Yeah”
    “Guess we’re even then”, I said
    “Like hell we are”, she said quietly. “I only spit fruit punch into your mouth”
    (because Dresden had dolphin breath...)

This is a reference to the illustrations on the Dresden Files books. Dresden on all the cover illustrations wears a hat and in the books it has never been mentioned. Fact he doesn’t wear one. Perhaps the illustrator thought Dresden looked better with a hat. It’s not a wizard’s hat and not a fedora…

The author made a point in this short sample to that amusing fact.

My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon (2008)
    Collection of short stories from different authors

Jim Butcher short story: “Heorot”

p.46

(Dresden) “The falling rain would wash away the spell on my amulet if I left in out in the open, so I shielded as carefully as I could with the building and my hand. A hat would have come in handy for that purpose, actually, maybe I should get one."

Last edited by geekywraith; March 14th, 2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added more

Spoiler:
    I've read all the shorts except Heorot and the ones after that. Day Off and some others. lol I had to reread it to get it. Oh man. Too bad they only kiss to pump oxygen except that one time when Murphy helps out Dresden and he kisses her suddenly out of thanks. I was thinking there would be repercussions but there wasn't. I forget which book though. Wow, never realized that he doesn't wear a hat.

And with Small Favor, Bob's a mini-archive? Wow, should have seen that coming. I thought he was an air spirit? And are there more like him? I hope they address that. And wow, the Black Council pulling strings. So Murphy did get the sword after the fake-out, but who's gonna get Michael's? I think maybe Thomas or Susan? Will have to see. You've read the 11th already. Do they address that? So many other questions and mysteries, but I forget.

I haven't really started the next one. Read Catcher in the Rye instead, was pretty good. I'm delaying, I know. Hoping to time it so that after I'm done, the 12th will be out. Or maybe I should just reread all of em again. They're just so good.

Spoiler:
    You’ve read all the shorts except Heorot. That’s great it can make a person discover an author and motivate them to read the books. I've read all the shorts and the books and the two graphic novels.

I too don’t remember in which book Dresden kissed Murphy out of thanks. Dresden doesn’t wear a hat because it’s unpractical in battle and while escaping a villain trying to kill you.

Bob is an air spirit but he’s like a mini archive. He’s resourceful and possesses good and dangerous knowledge. I don’t know if he’s unique in the Nevernever. I think it's never been adressed in other books.

The Black Council is powerful and has infiltrated the White Council. I didn’t remember Murphy getting the sword in Turn Coat. I though she refused to have it. I don’t know who will get Micheal's sword. Turn Coat doesn’t address that if I think. Susan disappeared after Grave Peril. I’ve read the 11th book a year ago. I don’t remember specific details of all the books. Indeed there are unanswered questions and mysteries.

The Island in Small Favor is an important element; Dresden battles an uber scary “thing”. His friends Billy and the gang are back. The Gatekeeper is in the story. There are more Dresden Uber whumps in this story. Dresden got a new power in Small Favor “soul fire” and in Turn Coat he gets a new one.

You haven’t started reading Turn Coat? Don’t delay too much April will arrive fast with the newest book. Well I’m glad you enjoyed reading the Dresden Files. Rereading the books is always enjoyable and always interesting.
    Last edited by geekywraith; March 12th, 2010 at 01:18 PM.

Spoiler:
    Dang, there are graphic novels? Gotta go get em somewhere. Ahh, I thought she kept the sword guess not. Don't really get the whole conduit thing in the island. Yea, soul fire seems crazy. Wish there were visuals so I can see what he's describing. I have a hard time visualizing some things. Started Turn Coat a bit. They just scared off the shadow cat thing after it killed one of the werewolves. Guess Dresden is really spooked but not enough to not be able to run away lol, and Morgan beat one with a nuke! Hilarious.

Spoiler:
    Yes there are two graphic novels. The third one will be released in November. They are very good. Jim Butcher wrote the stories. I really liked the first one The Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle.

For more information you can look here:
    http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/au...authorid=84567

You can buy them on Amazon or in any good book store. Or on the site that I provided you with.

Excellent! You started reading Turn Coat. If I was Dresden I wouldn’t help Morgan after everything that he did. He has a lot of nerve showing up on Dresden's door step. But that’s Dresden siding with the underdog and finding out the truth. The uber creature that Dresden saw with his wizard’s sigh really freaked him out. It’s a powerful and ancient “thing”. Yes it’s funny how Morgan killed one with a nuke.

About the island I don’t remember why it’s a conduct. The island is powerful and aware of visitors. It doesn't like the Gatekeeper if I remember it right. Dresden can connect himself to it and know where the baddies are.

The soul fire thing is dangerous because if he over uses it he can die. It was a gift because he refuses the coin. I like Dresden’s ability to punch holes into buildings with his power especially when he’s angry like he did with Marcone’s gym place in White Night.

Well Turn Coat deals with an ancient “thing” that can shape shift. It's smart and dangerous. Dresden doesn't run in battle. He usually has a smart remark to annoy his adversary and fights him after. Dresden had a sense of “déjà vu” on the island like he’s been there before in Small Favor. Dresden’s wizard abilities are growing. His new ability is precognition. The Gatekeeper and a few White Council members will prove useful to Dresden on the island. What happens to Thomas is a bit sad for Dresden.

In a short story by Jim Butcher called “The Warrior” published in a book called Mean Streets (2009) - collection of short stories - talks about the swords. He has Micheal and Shiro’s swords.

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast