The Dresden Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dresden Files

Firstly, would like to thank geekywraith for nudging me towards reading this series. Secondly, I have not read all of them yet. So please don't spoil it. Use spoiler tags. I've just finished the second one and started the third.

Now banter away. Maybe I should just stay away from this thread til I've read.

So far, my impressions:

Great genre combination- detective, crime, drama, fantasy, wizardry, it has a little bit of everything, lots of action I guess, but also romance and drama, covers the supernatural world pretty well from what I've read so far.

Pace- it goes pretty well, and the books seems to be gaining momentum every book. And from what geekywraith tells me, they only get better. So looking forward to that.

Short- relatively short read, sorta fast because you just devour it.

Well at least i'm the only one on GW who likes The Dresden Files! I have only read the first three books, I finished the third, Grave Peril last week! Fantastic set of books.

The short-lived TV show is great as well IMO.

Comment

I saw the TV show first and then found out about the books. I love them both. I've just started book number 10 Small Favour and I agree they're a fantastic read. I love Jim Butchers style....and he's made Harry such a great character.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
        Short- relatively short read, sorta fast because you just devour it.
        I agree.

It's Great to see that there are other fans of the Dresden Files books on Gate World.

I’ve read all 11 books of the Dresden Files and really enjoyed them. I agree that Dresden is a great character. The books are amazing and have humor. Dresden has some really great one liner's with enemies. One of my favorite books is Dead Beat even if I like the others.

CHANGES Book 12 of the Dresden Files is to be released in hardcover from Roc publishing in April 2010. I look forward each year in April for a new Dresden Files book by Jim Butcher. You can read the first chapters in March on the official Jim Butcher website along as the first chapters of his other books.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/

For those who might be interested there are 2 Dresden Files graphic novels. The 3rd one will be released in November. Jim Butcher wrote the stories for them. You can check it out here http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/ca...resden%20files

I also saw the TV series but it was too loosely adapted and they made too many drastic changes. It was not a bad series but the books are so much better.
        Last edited by geekywraith; 26 February 2010, 05:32 PM.
        Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.
        Nina: Everything else was taken.

Comment

I like to view the show and books as a "alternate universe" where things are different but somewhat similar. I plan to read the prequel graphic novel soon, it should be easy to get into as I love comics.

Comment

Grave Peril was fantastic. I just finishes earlier and started the fourth. Got a sorta question though...
            Spoiler:
            Does the roman centurion/dragon guy from the party make an appearance later on? Just curious. He seemed like a big character.

Comment

Grave Peril was fantastic. I just finishes earlier and started the fourth. Got a sorta question though...
              Spoiler:
              Does the roman centurion/dragon guy from the party make an appearance later on? Just curious. He seemed like a big character.
              That's great. See I told you Grave Peril was an awesome book. About your question I don't think so. I do remember him in the 3rd book but not later on.

You might find your answer in the Topic List of the official Jim Butcher website. It's a great place to find answers to some questions about the Dresden Files books.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/i...,next.html#new

This link talk about the character you're asking about:
              http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/i...ic,795.10.html
              Last edited by geekywraith; 26 February 2010, 08:22 PM.
              Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.

Comment

Couldn't green you for that helpful site. Lots of little spoilers there but I looked it up with one eye closed. Found him, Ferro or something.
                Spoiler:
                He seems like an epic character, why I'm kinda hoping he makes a return somehow without the usual dragon cliches. But apparently there was an answer to what gift he received, it was a chest full of gold and jewels I think someone said. Just would be cool to see how Harry deals with that. I have a hard time visualizing the vampires a little cause in my mind, it's stuck on the normal pale vampires. But in there it's different sorta. Wonder if Susan's all right. DON'T TELL ME! lol

Comment

I'm glad you found that site helpful. Yes there are little spoilers but they don't spoil the fun.

Spoiler:
                  Ferro /Ferrovax is his name. I don’t remember much about him since he was a guest at the party and not one of the antagonists. In the Dresden Files you have different types of vampires. They are not like the typical ones. The most evil vamps are Black Court vampire like Marva who we meet in book 3. She’s a really disgusting vampire. I really found it funny how Harry was dressed as at the party. Dressed like a normal pale cheesy vampires. I won’t spoil you about Susan.

Comment

Originally posted by geekywraith View Post
                    I'm glad you found that site helpful. Yes there are little spoilers but they don't spoil the fun.

Spoiler:
                    Ferro /Ferrovax is his name. I don’t remember much about him since he was a guest at the party and not one of the antagonists. In the Dresden Files you have different types of vampires. They are not like the typical ones. The most evil vamps are Black Court vampire like Marva who we meet in book 3. She’s a really disgusting vampire. I really found it funny how Harry was dressed as at the party. Dressed like a normal pale cheesy vampires. I won’t spoil you about Susan.
                    Spoiler:
                    LOL that was hilarious how he dressed. And Michael's like are you sure you wanna dress like that. There are so many good one liners in there. I forget some of them but one I remember was sorta like "Then I jumped out of the car, hey don't look at me like that, it made perfect sense at the time."

Comment

Spoiler:
                      LOL that was hilarious how he dressed. And Michael's like are you sure you wanna dress like that. There are so many good one liners in there. I forget some of them but one I remember was sorta like "Then I jumped out of the car, hey don't look at me like that, it made perfect sense at the time."
                      Yes that was hilarious. It still makes me smile. I hope that you'll enjoy reading book 4.

Spoiler:
                      Harry really took a chance dressed like that. He knew that if the vamps killed him they would start a war with the White Council. In all of the books there are so many good one liners.

Another great one liner is from book 3:
                      "'Jokes,' the voice hissed. 'Jokes will not save you now.'
                      'Hell's bells, Kravos,' I muttered, sitting up again. 'Do they produce a Cliched Lines Textbook for Villains or something? Go for broke. Tell me that since you're going to kill me anyway, you might as well reveal your secret plan.'"

Best Quotes from Dresden Files (spoilers): http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/i...opic,67.0.html

Comment

"Murphy's got a girl gun, Murphy's got a girl gun." lol

Comment

"Murphy's got a girl gun, Murphy's got a girl gun." lol
                          Very funny. Murphy can beat Dresden up even if she's tiny compared to him.

Comment

Spoiler:
                            I forget where but the Toot-toot army thing was cute and hilarious and when the fae was first introduced too, was hilarious, they were going through the usual pleasantries of trying to lunge at the summoner, lol to keep with tradition.

Comment

Spoiler:
                              I forget where but the Toot-toot army thing was cute and hilarious and when the fae was first introduced too, was hilarious, they were going through the usual pleasantries of trying to lunge at the summoner, lol to keep with tradition.
                              Indeed. Harry can make them do anything for him for the price of pizza. He's the lord of pizza.
                              Last edited by geekywraith; 28 February 2010, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X