Page 1 of 87 12341151 ... LastLast

Default Mass Effect universe discussion thread

Splitting off from the scifi/videogames discussion thread because we've totally derailed it () I'm starting this thread so we can continue discussion of the Mass Effect universe. I think there's more than enough material to justify some pretty excellent discussion all around, so have at it!

Mass Effect: Evolution (comic series)
    Mass Effect: Revelation (novel by Drew Karpyshyn)

Mass Effect
    Mass Effect: Ascension (novel by Drew Karpyshyn)
    Mass Effect 2 (intro mission)

Mass Effect: Galaxy (mobile game)
    Mass Effect: Redemption (comic series)

Mass Effect: Incursion (comic one-shot)
    Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect: Retribution (novel by Drew Karpyshyn)
    Mass Effect: Inquisition (comic one-shot)

TBD
    Mass Effect 3 (scheduled for Holiday 2011 release)

And just for the lulz, my favourite part in ME2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjIcFATxrus
    Last edited by DigiFluid; January 21st, 2011 at 09:47 AM.

12345678War9101112
    Bernice SummerfieldSarah Jane SmithTorchwood

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Splitting off from the scifi/videogames discussion thread because we've totally derailed it () I'm starting this thread so we can continue discussion of the Mass Effect universe. I think there's more than enough material to justify some pretty excellent discussion all around, so have at it!

2157 - Mass Effect: Revelation (novel by Drew Karpyshyn)
    2183 - Mass Effect (Xbox 360 / PC)
    2183 - Mass Effect: Ascension (novel by Drew Karpyshyn)
    2184 - Mass Effect: Galaxy (mobile game)
    2184 - Mass Effect: Redemption (comic series)
    2185 - Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360 / PC)
    2186 - Mass Effect: Retribution (novel by Drew Karpyshyn, forthcoming on July 27, 2010)

And just for the lulz, my favourite part in ME2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjIcFATxrus
    I do love that moment, but then the entire game is packed with great moments. Looking forward to the new Mass Effect novel as well, more illusive man is good.

Well done. Legion approves of this thread with a little dance.

OMG! I didn't have that happen in my game, that's hilarious

I really need to get around to reading the books. It's such a wonderfully rich universe. In 3 years BioWare has managed to fashion a universe as vibrant and in-depth as even the best of sci-fi EUs.

12345678War9101112

There is a comic series?! *goes to Amazon*

I loved the first Mass Effect, I still own it and completed every single bit of it(as well as every achievement ). But I may never play the 2nd cause I don't buy games anymore.....maybe in the future.

The Mass Effect series is such a great piece of Sci-Fi, it MUST be made into a series/movie IMO.

OMG! I didn't have that happen in my game, that's hilarious
    Yeah. If Legion is idle long enough, he starts 'busting out his moves.'

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Replicator Todd View Post

The Mass Effect series is such a great piece of Sci-Fi, it MUST be made into a series/movie IMO.
    No! At least not the main story because that would lose much of the point of the Mass Effect games. The games universe is so dependent on your own actions and the choices you make that the state of the galaxy and the status of characters in two different peoples games can be totally different. You just don't get that in film or tv.

There is a comic series?! *goes to Amazon*
    Sort of.... It's a tie-in series between ME1 and 2. It's supposed to be 4 issues long, and I believe at the moment there's just the two out--the first one is (or was) free on iTunes and came with the collector's edition of ME2, and the second is up for sale.

I loved the first Mass Effect, I still own it and completed every single bit of it(as well as every achievement )
    Hey no self-pity/self-deprecation over that, I did it too

But I may never play the 2nd cause I don't buy games anymore.....maybe in the future.
    Do it....asap. It came out in January and I immediately decided it was game of the year. Something really unbelievably spectacular is going to have to come along to change that!

12345678War9101112

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    No! At least not the main story because that would lose much of the point of the Mass Effect games. The games universe is so dependent on your own actions and the choices you make that the state of the galaxy and the status of characters in two different peoples games can be totally different. You just don't get that in film or tv.
    Definitely not involving Command Sheppard. There is so much material to have it made into a series IMO.

No! At least not the main story because that would lose much of the point of the Mass Effect games.
    Something like the First Contact War would probably work though. It's only briefly touched upon in "Revelation."

Sort of.... It's a tie-in series between ME1 and 2. It's supposed to be 4 issues long, and I believe at the moment there's just the two out--the first one is (or was) free on iTunes and came with the collector's edition of ME2, and the second is up for sale.

Hey no self-pity/self-deprecation over that, I did it too

Do it....asap. It came out in January and I immediately decided it was game of the year. Something really unbelievably spectacular is going to have to come along to change that!
    I migth play through the first again, and see my...multiple Shepards. I had a good one(my main one) that made mostly good decisions, my bad one(which I called Evil Shepard. ), and a female one I don't think I finished.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Oranos View Post
    Something like the First Contact War would probably work though. It's only briefly touched upon in "Revelation."
    That would work and the universe is rich enough to make plenty of movies, books and tv shows out of it. Trying to adapt the plot of the games though I think would be foolish.
    Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; February 19th, 2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: mice

I migth play through the first again, and see my...multiple Shepards. I had a good one(my main one) that made mostly good decisions, my bad one(which I called Evil Shepard. ), and a female one I don't think I finished.
    Not bad, it took me 4.5 (or so) playthroughs to get all the achievements.

I usually play as the paragon nice guy the first time, but then it's a lot more fun to be renegade just so you can be a total jerk to everyone

12345678War9101112

Not bad, it took me 4.5 (or so) playthroughs to get all the achievements.

I usually play as the paragon nice guy the first time, but then it's a lot more fun to be renegade just so you can be a total jerk to everyone
    Oh I have them all, I just like to replay the game with different choices. Seeing how they can carry over into ME2, I want every character to be able to be moved over.

Why does everyone think Renegade means bad or evil? It's neither. We Renegades are all about the ends justifying the means. We're going to get the job done at any cost.

I think Bring Down the Sky sums up the two philosophies perfectly. You have a Batarian terrorist. Do you:

Let him go to save the hostages? You've now saved three people, but the terrorist is on the loose. He could try this again and probably will, but you'll also be ready to stop him another day. More lives (maybe a lot more) could be lost.

Or kill him, but at the cost of the hostages? You've now lost the people, but the terrorist is out of the picture. You've ensured that no more lives will be lost.

Why does everyone think Renegade means bad or evil? It's neither. We Renegades are all about the ends justifying the means. We're going to get the job done at any cost.

I think Bring Down the Sky sums up the two philosophies perfectly. You have a Batarian terrorist. Do you:

Let him go to save the hostages? You've now saved three people, but the terrorist is on the loose. He could try this again and probably will, but you'll also be ready to stop him another day. More lives (maybe a lot more) could be lost.

Or kill him, but at the cost of the hostages? You've now lost the people, but the terrorist is out of the picture. You've ensured that no more lives will be lost.
    I try to have an un-military view on things. I call the Evil character evil because he has a scar on his face, and he is bald! The normal evil sci-fi character!

I think that's a perfect example of the great moral conundrums that BioWare can write. If it were me (IRL), I don't think I could handle letting the innocents die. Balak is just one of many Batarian terrorists, he goes down and another will just take his place and innocent lives would have been lost for nothing.

Just my take though. In-game, it's a lot of fun to just say "you're not leaving here alive"

12345678War9101112

I think that's a perfect example of the great moral conundrums that BioWare can write. If it were me (IRL), I don't think I could handle letting the innocents die. Balak is just one of many Batarian terrorists, he goes down and another will just take his place and innocent lives would have been lost for nothing.
    Yup.

However, the Renegade way--though you wouldn't know this till after--allows you to capture and interrogate. You could ultimately end up saving even more lives with what Balak knows.

Either way, not an easy decision. And you can justify it either way.

But my Shepard is a Colonist (about an even mix of Renegade and Paragon). Which pretty much made my decision easy.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid
    Just my take though. In-game, it's a lot of fun to just say "you're not leaving here alive"
    Personally, my Shepard enjoyed putting a few rounds in the guy. And then leaving him for the Alliance.

Lieutenant Colonel

I'd agree renegade actions aren't bad, its more the way I see it paragon are "heroic selfless actions" while renegade are often more pragmatic "ends justify the means" actions. I think Mass Effect 2 got really good at this, for instance the mechanic working on the gunship in Omega is a perfect example, yes it's not very heroic to stab the guy in the back with an electro prod thingie, but in the end it's extremely helpful when you have a gunship bearing down on your position that it hasn't been repaired fully.

There are some great moral conundrums in the Mass Effect games and normally my Shepard racks up plenty of both paragon and renegade. Though occasionally I think it falls down, like the choice with whether to brainwash the heretic geth on Legions mission. You get renegade points for blowing them up rather than essentially brainwashing them, but I thought it was more moral to do that rather than erode their free will and sentience.
    Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; February 20th, 2010 at 05:18 AM.

I'd agree renegade actions aren't bad, its more the way I see it paragon are "heroic selfless actions" while renegade are often more pragmatic "ends justify the means" actions. I think Mass Effect 2 got really good at this, for instance the mechanic working on the gunship in Omega is a perfect example, yes it's not very heroic to stab the guy in the back with an electro prod thingie, but in the end it's extremely helpful when you have a gunship bearing down on your position that it hasn't been repaired fully.
    That gunship can be an absolute beast on insanity if you leave the merc be (from what I hear). No, I decided to make life easy on Mordin, Miranda, Archangel, and myself in that situation. I usually do with most of those type of Renegade choices.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon
    There are some great moral conundrums in the Mass Effect games and normally my Shepard racks up plenty of both paragon and renegade.
    There are. I think the one that stands out--in the sense that the Renegade should have been approached differently--is the Rachni Queen.

My "main" Shepard approached it from the standpoint that the queen couldn't be trusted. Given all the facts and historical data, the species is a major threat. Their population could and would explode in a very short time (maybe months or just a couple of years). He just couldn't risk releasing the queen and having to fight a war on two fronts.

I would have liked a more remorseful way to off the queen, however. The "I'm sorry, I just can't risk letting you go free," option would have been nice to see. Even if it was a neutral option instead.

Quote Originally Posted by The Might 6 platoon
    Though occasionally I think it falls down, like the choice with whether to brainwash the heretic geth on Legions mission. You get renegade points for blowing them up rather than essentially brainwashing them, but I thought it was more moral to do that rather than erode their free will and sentience.
    Then sometimes we get situations like these. Where they both seem like Renegade choices.

But on that note, the Paragons seem to have gone a little darker in this game. So maybe a more "Renegade" choice is apt.