Mass Effect universe discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass Effect universe discussion thread

Splitting off from the scifi/videogames discussion thread because we've totally derailed it () I'm starting this thread so we can continue discussion of the Mass Effect universe. I think there's more than enough material to justify some pretty excellent discussion all around, so have at it!

Mass Effect: Evolution (comic series)
    Mass Effect: Revelation (novel by Drew Karpyshyn)

Mass Effect
    Mass Effect: Ascension (novel by Drew Karpyshyn)
    Mass Effect 2 (intro mission)

Mass Effect: Galaxy (mobile game)
    Mass Effect: Redemption (comic series)

Mass Effect: Incursion (comic one-shot)
    Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect: Retribution (novel by Drew Karpyshyn)
    Mass Effect: Inquisition (comic one-shot)

TBD
    Mass Effect 3 (scheduled for Holiday 2011 release)

And just for the lulz, my favourite part in ME2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjIcFATxrus
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 21 January 2011, 08:47 AM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Splitting off from the scifi/videogames discussion thread because we've totally derailed it () I'm starting this thread so we can continue discussion of the Mass Effect universe. I think there's more than enough material to justify some pretty excellent discussion all around, so have at it!

2157 - Mass Effect: Revelation (novel by Drew Karpyshyn)
    2183 - Mass Effect (Xbox 360 / PC)
    2183 - Mass Effect: Ascension (novel by Drew Karpyshyn)
    2184 - Mass Effect: Galaxy (mobile game)
    2184 - Mass Effect: Redemption (comic series)
    2185 - Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360 / PC)
    2186 - Mass Effect: Retribution (novel by Drew Karpyshyn, forthcoming on July 27, 2010)

And just for the lulz, my favourite part in ME2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjIcFATxrus
    I do love that moment, but then the entire game is packed with great moments. Looking forward to the new Mass Effect novel as well, more illusive man is good.

Comment

Well done. Legion approves of this thread with a little dance.

Comment

OMG! I didn't have that happen in my game, that's hilarious

I really need to get around to reading the books. It's such a wonderfully rich universe. In 3 years BioWare has managed to fashion a universe as vibrant and in-depth as even the best of sci-fi EUs.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

There is a comic series?! *goes to Amazon*

I loved the first Mass Effect, I still own it and completed every single bit of it(as well as every achievement ). But I may never play the 2nd cause I don't buy games anymore.....maybe in the future.

The Mass Effect series is such a great piece of Sci-Fi, it MUST be made into a series/movie IMO.

Comment

OMG! I didn't have that happen in my game, that's hilarious
            Yeah. If Legion is idle long enough, he starts 'busting out his moves.'

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post

The Mass Effect series is such a great piece of Sci-Fi, it MUST be made into a series/movie IMO.
              No! At least not the main story because that would lose much of the point of the Mass Effect games. The games universe is so dependent on your own actions and the choices you make that the state of the galaxy and the status of characters in two different peoples games can be totally different. You just don't get that in film or tv.

Comment

There is a comic series?! *goes to Amazon*
                Sort of.... It's a tie-in series between ME1 and 2. It's supposed to be 4 issues long, and I believe at the moment there's just the two out--the first one is (or was) free on iTunes and came with the collector's edition of ME2, and the second is up for sale.

I loved the first Mass Effect, I still own it and completed every single bit of it(as well as every achievement )
                Hey no self-pity/self-deprecation over that, I did it too

But I may never play the 2nd cause I don't buy games anymore.....maybe in the future.
                Do it....asap. It came out in January and I immediately decided it was game of the year. Something really unbelievably spectacular is going to have to come along to change that!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                  No! At least not the main story because that would lose much of the point of the Mass Effect games. The games universe is so dependent on your own actions and the choices you make that the state of the galaxy and the status of characters in two different peoples games can be totally different. You just don't get that in film or tv.
                  Definitely not involving Command Sheppard. There is so much material to have it made into a series IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                    No! At least not the main story because that would lose much of the point of the Mass Effect games.
                    Something like the First Contact War would probably work though. It's only briefly touched upon in "Revelation."

Comment

Sort of.... It's a tie-in series between ME1 and 2. It's supposed to be 4 issues long, and I believe at the moment there's just the two out--the first one is (or was) free on iTunes and came with the collector's edition of ME2, and the second is up for sale.

Hey no self-pity/self-deprecation over that, I did it too

Do it....asap. It came out in January and I immediately decided it was game of the year. Something really unbelievably spectacular is going to have to come along to change that!
                      I migth play through the first again, and see my...multiple Shepards. I had a good one(my main one) that made mostly good decisions, my bad one(which I called Evil Shepard. ), and a female one I don't think I finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
                        Something like the First Contact War would probably work though. It's only briefly touched upon in "Revelation."
                        That would work and the universe is rich enough to make plenty of movies, books and tv shows out of it. Trying to adapt the plot of the games though I think would be foolish.
                        Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 19 February 2010, 05:45 PM. Reason: mice

Comment

I migth play through the first again, and see my...multiple Shepards. I had a good one(my main one) that made mostly good decisions, my bad one(which I called Evil Shepard. ), and a female one I don't think I finished.
                          Not bad, it took me 4.5 (or so) playthroughs to get all the achievements.

I usually play as the paragon nice guy the first time, but then it's a lot more fun to be renegade just so you can be a total jerk to everyone

Comment

Not bad, it took me 4.5 (or so) playthroughs to get all the achievements.

I usually play as the paragon nice guy the first time, but then it's a lot more fun to be renegade just so you can be a total jerk to everyone
                            Oh I have them all, I just like to replay the game with different choices. Seeing how they can carry over into ME2, I want every character to be able to be moved over.

Comment

Why does everyone think Renegade means bad or evil? It's neither. We Renegades are all about the ends justifying the means. We're going to get the job done at any cost.

I think Bring Down the Sky sums up the two philosophies perfectly. You have a Batarian terrorist. Do you:

Let him go to save the hostages? You've now saved three people, but the terrorist is on the loose. He could try this again and probably will, but you'll also be ready to stop him another day. More lives (maybe a lot more) could be lost.

Or kill him, but at the cost of the hostages? You've now lost the people, but the terrorist is out of the picture. You've ensured that no more lives will be lost.

Comment

Working...
                              X