Page 5 of 87 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Giantevilhead View Post
    If you're going to strawmen all my arguments then why even bother responding to them at all?
    Uh. Yeah. Okay.

Upon reading through, a couple of my points weren't as clear as I thought they sounded when I first wrote them; I was up pretty late if the time stamp was any indication so that was probably a contributing factor. Sorry if that caused some confusion. I'd be happy to explain anything that you weren't clear on.

But I believe I asked legitimate questions and/or responded sufficiently to what I thought your claim was. Either you didn't convey what you meant very well or I misunderstood what you meant.

First Lieutenant

one of the codex entries states that dreadnaughts do carry a limited complement of fighters

Quote Originally Posted by dosed150 View Post
    one of the codex entries states that dreadnaughts do carry a limited complement of fighters
    Ooh. Must have missed that. I really wish they'd come out w/ those tech readout-like thingies that Star Wars had, w/ cutouts and ship interior images and the sort. I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

edit: gah. which reminds me that I should be looking for my copy of Renegade Legion: Leviathan. It'd be cooler if games fleshed out their tech enough to give at least stuff like how fast a ship can turn, or the optimal engagement range (and if it had minimal range 'umbrella' and stuff like that).

No Mass Effect thread is complete without.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEbZNOAsYl4

God I hated that scanning. So much scanning, but I did it all and it was worth it in the end watching that collector ship get its comeuppance.

I've got to wonder though. If i've got 11 people "loyal" to me plus normal ship's crew members can't I delegate this to Tali or Legion, or how 'bout the ships built in AI?

ME2 was the best game I've played in a good long while, quite possibly even the best game I've ever played in terms of it being a story that one participates in. The story might not necessarily be that original or groundbreaking in its content but the presentation and directing and voice acting in this game were on a level I've never seen in another.

So being honest now how did everyone's suicide mission go. Did you flub it horribly or get everyone through on your first try?

I only lost Zaeed in mine because I made him a fire team leader which apparently he sucks at despite what you might think.

I actually felt the loss to because he was one of my favorites. Him and Jack were my go to team for most of my first play through. We had a nice little "the scary side of humanity says hi" aesthetic going on which was funny since my guy ended up almost totally paragon by the end.

Definitely liked the characters way more in this one than the first. ME1 had Wrex but the others were kind of lacking, especially the romance options. My Shep stayed a bachelor all through ME1 just because I couldn't stand either Ashley or Liara. It wasn't till ME2 that he finally got to meet the little bald psychopath of his dreams.

re: suicide mission ( I didn't really load, I just wanted to finish it )
    I think I just lost Legion. I sent him into the ducts...I forgot who else I assigned to what. Zaeed as squad leader the first time? (I'm sure he's the one who lead the survivors back to the Normandy)

re: romance
    hmm...didn't do any.

re: Scanning
    Heh. It was amusing for a while...then it got really tedious.(and I think my wrist started to hurt...)
    And yeah, you're not the first to suggest delegating that tedious task to the AI...would be nice if you could, tho'.
    I'm really looking forward to the Hammerhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
    No Mass Effect thread is complete without.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEbZNOAsYl4

God I hated that scanning. So much scanning, but I did it all and it was worth it in the end watching that collector ship get its comeuppance.

I've got to wonder though. If i've got 11 people "loyal" to me plus normal ship's crew members can't I delegate this to Tali or Legion, or how 'bout the ships built in AI?

ME2 was the best game I've played in a good long while, quite possibly even the best game I've ever played in terms of it being a story that one participates in. The story might not necessarily be that original or groundbreaking in its content but the presentation and directing and voice acting in this game were on a level I've never seen in another.

So being honest now how did everyone's suicide mission go. Did you flub it horribly or get everyone through on your first try?

I only lost Zaeed in mine because I made him a fire team leader which apparently he sucks at despite what you might think.

I actually felt the loss to because he was one of my favorites. Him and Jack were my go to team for most of my first play through. We had a nice little "the scary side of humanity says hi" aesthetic going on which was funny since my guy ended up almost totally paragon by the end.

Definitely liked the characters way more in this one than the first. ME1 had Wrex but the others were kind of lacking, especially the romance options. My Shep stayed a bachelor all through ME1 just because I couldn't stand either Ashley or Liara. It wasn't till ME2 that he finally got to meet the little bald psychopath of his dreams.
    I didn't mind the scanning, honestly.

On the suicide mission note, I survived and pulled my whole team through =] I slept with Liara in the first game since I really thought she was great, but in the second game she just became so cold and unfeeling that I ultimately chose the defrosted Ice Queen that is Miranda instead. Perfect mix of attitude, brains, and biotic devastation <3
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Better than I thought it would. I chose not to do everything...wanted to save some "surprises" for my main playthrough. I think I lost Jacob, Jack (thank you God!), Mordin (which just sucked), Samara and Grunt. Pity. I was trying to off Zaeed, but that just never worked out.

That's one thing I honesty don't understand. So many people think he's an effective team leader. But every story he tells you--in which he and his team(s) go up against suicide odds--he's the only one that ever comes out alive. He really doesn't seem to care about those under his command at all.

If you pay close attention to the stories and each character's job, you can pretty much figure out who's going to be good at what.

That's funny. My two least favorites.

...Garrus. And Wrex.

Actually, I "romanced" Ash (just so I could laugh at her on Virmire). Yeah, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I am curious though. How exactly do you stay single? I've tried it before (and I always have either Liara or Ash show up at my door). I tell them off throughout the game, choose Renegade options, but it doesn't seem to work. Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by s09119 View Post
    I didn't mind the scanning, honestly.

On the suicide mission note, I survived and pulled my whole team through =] I slept with Liara in the first game since I really thought she was great, but in the second game she just became so cold and unfeeling that I ultimately chose the defrosted Ice Queen that is Miranda instead. Perfect mix of attitude, brains, and biotic devastation <3
    I never talked much to Miranda. My main Sheppard has the Sole Survivor backstory so I like to imagine he just drinks with Jack and Tali and they swap stories about what a bunch of toolbags Cerberus are. Miranda and the Illusive man are both always like "oh Cerberus did X horrific thing did they, well that wasn't really Cerberus you see. The real Cerberus is all about rainbows and kittens not human supremacy, crimes against sentience, unethical abuse of science and general intergalactic douchery".

I still gave the base to them at the end though, but only because I plan to take it for myself/the alliance later once the Illusive man starts trusting me enough that I can bump him off in person.

Quote Originally Posted by gotthammer View Post
    I'm really looking forward to the Hammerhead.
    Me to. I know a lot of people hated the mako but the scanning was a poor replacement for it. Some of the alien landscapes you could drive across in the first game were visually incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Oranos View Post
    Better than I thought it would. I chose not to do everything...wanted to save some "surprises" for my main playthrough. I think I lost Jacob, Jack (thank you God!), Mordin (which just sucked), Samara and Grunt. Pity. I was trying to off Zaeed, but that just never worked out.
    Wow, quite the bloodbath there. I made sure I got all the upgrades and I was still nervous it was going to get me because I didn't do some side quest or something.

That's one thing I honesty don't understand. So many people think he's an effective team leader. But every story he tells you--in which he and his team(s) go up against suicide odds--he's the only one that ever comes out alive. He really doesn't seem to care about those under his command at all.
    You would think that would cause somebody else to die if you put them under his command though, not him. I figured because of all of his "I survived this and that, only one to make it out alive" type stories that there's no way he'd get himself killed.

If you pay close attention to the stories and each character's job, you can pretty much figure out who's going to be good at what.
    Yeah they make it pretty easy for you at times but do throw in a few red herrings. The one that caught me out was when Miranda offers to lead one of the teams and Jack starts in about how nobody wants to follow her. It made me think, "wait most of my crew is aliens and she pretty much is the Cerberus cheerleader. There might just be something to that."

I picked Garrus to lead the first team cause come on, it's Garrus, and that's what made me pick Zaeed for the second. I didn't want to use Garrus again because I figured he might be tired or something and the game would kill him if I used him both times and Miranda seemed like the aliens would mistrust her like I said. Jacob was going to be my next choice but I went with Zaeed because he seemed to have more experience with small unit tactics and he wasn't Cerberus.

That's funny. My two least favorites.
    Lots of people hate Jack but she gets really cute and funny once you talk to her enough and her badass routine starts to become transparent to Sheppard. Samara's another character that you really need to talk to a lot to appreciate. She'll seem pretty dull otherwise.

I loved Zaeed's voice actor. I kept taking him for that reason alone.

...Garrus. And Wrex.
    Tali/Wrex/Garrus was my ME1 rotation.

Actually, I "romanced" Ash (just so I could laugh at her on Virmire). Yeah, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
    I thought about going back and romancing her in ME1 just so I can watch Jack squish her in ME3.

I am curious though. How exactly do you stay single? I've tried it before (and I always have either Liara or Ash show up at my door). I tell them off throughout the game, choose Renegade options, but it doesn't seem to work. Any advice you could give would be appreciated.
    It's pretty easy, just stop talking to them when they start weirdly reciting poetry to you. I stayed a bachelor just by never really talking much to either Ash or Liara. I think Ash might still have shown up at the end anyway but I just told her to get lost.

When I hear the name "Ashley Williams" I only think of one thing.

If your Shep needs female contact he can talk to Tali, she won't try to jump his bones.

That is one thing I wish they'd work on though. There should be a way to finish all the character dialog without the game thinking your character automatically wants to romance them. I don't think it's quite as bad as in the first one though, in that one you had to almost go out of your way to make sure one of them doesn't come sniffing under your door at the end. I never talked to Liara very much with either gender for example because she's an obsessive little landmine for both of them.

Wow, quite the bloodbath there. I made sure I got all the upgrades and I was still nervous it was going to get me because I didn't do some side quest or something.
    I skipped out on quite a bit of scanning--so I think missed out on a couple of upgrades. And I didn't do several loyalty missions--so again, problems. And I followed Jacob's advice and sent him into the vents. And apparently Mordin sucks at holding the line (which, I suppose isn't a surprise). Like I said, just wanted to save some surprises for my main playthrough.

You would think that would cause somebody else to die if you put them under his command though, not him. I figured because of all of his "I survived this and that, only one to make it out alive" type stories that there's no way he'd get himself killed.
    It had to catch up to him eventually.

But truthfully, your statement isn't technically true. Choosing a poor team leader can get your team killed.

Yeah they make it pretty easy for you at times but do throw in a few red herrings. The one that caught me out was when Miranda offers to lead one of the teams and Jack starts in about how nobody wants to follow her. It made me think, "wait most of my crew is aliens and she pretty much is the Cerberus cheerleader. There might just be something to that."
    Most of the team doesn't seem to have a problem with Cerberus (or chooses to overlook it); Jack and Tali are the only real exceptions that I can remember.

I picked Garrus to lead the first team cause come on, it's Garrus, and that's what made me pick Zaeed for the second. I didn't want to use Garrus again because I figured he might be tired or something and the game would kill him if I used him both times and Miranda seemed like the aliens would mistrust her like I said. Jacob was going to be my next choice but I went with Zaeed because he seemed to have more experience with small unit tactics and he wasn't Cerberus.
    Are we talking about the same Garrus? The Turian bad@$$? The guy who held off not one, not two, but three mercenary groups--the toughest on Omega--for an extended period of time. Tired ain't got nothing on Garrus.

Lots of people hate Jack but she gets really cute and funny once you talk to her enough and her badass routine starts to become transparent to Sheppard. Samara's another character that you really need to talk to a lot to appreciate. She'll seem pretty dull otherwise.
    I just never really clicked with Jack. Which is odd because I was sure she was going to be one of my favorites from what I'd seen. Her skillset was horrible too, especially on insanity.

Samara hates me. Apparently I'm a little too Renegade.

I loved Zaeed's voice actor. I kept taking him for that reason alone.
    You know, I wasn't a fan of his. But I think that's the only one I can say that about.

It's pretty easy, just stop talking to them when they start weirdly reciting poetry to you. I stayed a bachelor just by never really talking much to either Ash or Liara. I think Ash might still have shown up at the end anyway but I just told her to get lost.
    And that's the problem. Even when you turn them down like that, it still counts as a romance (at least from what I understand). Their picture still shows up in your cabin in ME2.

If your Shep needs female contact he can talk to Tali, she won't try to jump his bones.
    Funny you should say that. She was supposed to be a love interest in the first game.

That is one thing I wish they'd work on though. There should be a way to finish all the character dialog without the game thinking your character automatically wants to romance them. I don't think it's quite as bad as in the first one though, in that one you had to almost go out of your way to make sure one of them doesn't come sniffing under your door at the end. I never talked to Liara very much with either gender for example because she's an obsessive little landmine for both of them.
    It's nowhere near as bad. It's rocket science trying to figure out a way to not enter a romance with Liara and Ash.

I skipped out on quite a bit of scanning--so I think missed out on a couple of upgrades. And I didn't do several loyalty missions--so again, problems. And I followed Jacob's advice and sent him into the vents. And apparently Mordin sucks at holding the line (which, I suppose isn't a surprise). Like I said, just wanted to save some surprises for my main playthrough.
    Mordin even has a line where he mocks Kirrahe's "hold the line" stuff from the first game saying something like he just prefers to get the job done and go home instead.

Apparently he dies because he's first on the games unseen death list for that final section. If you don't leave enough "good defenders" like Grunt, Garrus and Zaeed behind to "hold the line" the game kills Mordin.

It had to catch up to him eventually.
    I think that was basically what he said before he croaked to.

But truthfully, your statement isn't technically true. Choosing a poor team leader can get your team killed.
    Yeah. The first time you choose one if you pick a bad one it'll kill somebody else. I picked Zaeed the second time though.

Most of the team doesn't seem to have a problem with Cerberus (or chooses to overlook it); Jack and Tali are the only real exceptions that I can remember.
    Apparently if Jack dies in the cinematic before the mission starts Garrus pipes up instead. Even still it's basically a human supremacist organization and she's obviously totally on board with its core "humans first" philosophy. Jacob seemed more conflicted on things.

Are we talking about the same Garrus? The Turian bad@$$? The guy who held off not one, not two, but three mercenary groups--the toughest on Omega--for an extended period of time. Tired ain't got nothing on Garrus.
    It really bothered me how he gets a new suit of armour after his loyalty mission and it's still got a hole shot through it. I mean there's even a model in the game already with no damage on it. Why didn't they just recolour that one instead?

I just never really clicked with Jack. Which is odd because I was sure she was going to be one of my favorites from what I'd seen. Her skillset was horrible too, especially on insanity.
    Shockwave works on enemies even if their shields are up, occasionally dropping them in the process and punting a dude to the moon. Mostly though it's nice because it stuns enemies for a couple seconds, even if their shields are up, and if you give her the adept specialization her cooldowns get really short. I won't deny she's way more useful on easier settings when everything doesn't have shields, even borderline cheap, but redded out biotics can still be used, they're just not as effective. Warp ammo sure is though.

Samara hates me. Apparently I'm a little too Renegade.
    Threatened to kill you did she?

You know, I wasn't a fan of his. But I think that's the only one I can say that about.
    Really. I was very disappointed that they couldn't seem to get the Sheppard voice actors back to actually record proper conversations with him. There's another DLC character on the way to, you can already see her in the character screen if you manipulate certain game files though obviously she's not usable yet. I wonder if they're just going to do the same sort of thing with her.

And that's the problem. Even when you turn them down like that, it still counts as a romance (at least from what I understand). Their picture still shows up in your cabin in ME2.
    Maybe I'm thinking of some other play through then because I didn't have anyone's picture on my desk.

It would be kind of funny to do it that way though, if the game still flags the last minute rejection as a romance. Reject them at the end, romance someone else in ME2, then have them come at you all psycho stalker in part 3 talking about this "relationship" that you supposedly had with them and how you cheated.

Funny you should say that. She was supposed to be a love interest in the first game.
    I heard the exact opposite really. That they never made her a romance option because they didn't think anyone would want to romance a girl with "chicken feet".

It's nowhere near as bad. It's rocket science trying to figure out a way to not enter a romance with Liara and Ash.
    They really need to just put in some kind of conversation thread near the end with all the potential romance interests where you can undo any sort of romance "points" or whatever you may have unwittingly built up with them.

It could even be fun. Range it from "it's not you it's me, no really" if you're a paragon to "oh my god you and me, no seriously you thought that.... oh god I need a shower" for renegade.

Apparently he dies because he's first on the games unseen death list for that final section. If you don't leave enough "good defenders" like Grunt, Garrus and Zaeed behind to "hold the line" the game kills Mordin.
    Yeah, I know how it works now. This playthrough was before (Dusty?) announced how the deaths worked. In hindsight, it was a pretty stupid move (and I'm not sure what I was thinking then).

Apparently if Jack dies in the cinematic before the mission starts Garrus pipes up instead. Even still it's basically a human supremacist organization and she's obviously totally on board with its core "humans first" philosophy. Jacob seemed more conflicted on things.
    That's...interesting. What exactly does Garrus have to say? And how does he say it? I know he expresses his concerns over Shepard working for Cerberus, but he seemed to be one of the ones to set aside his doubts and trust in his commander.

It really bothered me how he gets a new suit of armour after his loyalty mission and it's still got a hole shot through it. I mean there's even a model in the game already with no damage on it. Why didn't they just recolour that one instead?
    At least Garrus actually wears armor, unlike certain other characters.

Shockwave works on enemies even if their shields are up, occasionally dropping them in the process and punting a dude to the moon. Mostly though it's nice because it stuns enemies for a couple seconds, even if their shields are up, and if you give her the adept specialization her cooldowns get really short. I won't deny she's way more useful on easier settings when everything doesn't have shields, even borderline cheap, but redded out biotics can still be used, they're just not as effective. Warp ammo sure is though.
    Warp Ammo...yeah, not a huge fan, I much prefer Tungsten. That with the Widow and Assassin Cloak. It's like one shot, one overkill. And I love it.

I love shockwave for husks, but that's about where my interest in Jack ends. Have I mentioned how much I hate shotguns? She is about my least favorite combination of everything.

Threatened to kill you did she?
    If she met me when the mission was over, yeah. We saw how well that worked out with Nihlus, so I'm not convinced that that's a threat she's capable of carrying out. I'll make every effort to keep her alive for my main playthrough. Just to see what happens.

Really. I was very disappointed that they couldn't seem to get the Sheppard voice actors back to actually record proper conversations with him. There's another DLC character on the way to, you can already see her in the character screen if you manipulate certain game files though obviously she's not usable yet. I wonder if they're just going to do the same sort of thing with her.
    Yeah, Kasumi. There's a news report about her on Illium, I think it was.

Maybe I'm thinking of some other play through then because I didn't have anyone's picture on my desk.
    Really? I'm not sure what to think now. I may just make a playthrough to test it out myself.

I heard the exact opposite really. That they never made her a romance option because they didn't think anyone would want to romance a girl with "chicken feet".
    I'm almost positive that she was planned to be a romance option, but some of the developers raised the concern of the "chicken feet" and that pretty much ended that plan.

They really need to just put in some kind of conversation thread near the end with all the potential romance interests where you can undo any sort of romance "points" or whatever you may have unwittingly built up with them.

It could even be fun. Range it from "it's not you it's me, no really" if you're a paragon to "oh my god you and me, no seriously you thought that.... oh god I need a shower" for renegade.
    I laughed at the Renegade one.

Yeah, I know how it works now. This playthrough was before (Dusty?) announced how the deaths worked. In hindsight, it was a pretty stupid move (and I'm not sure what I was thinking then).
    Well I already owned up to the Zaeed thing but my monumentally stupid move in my first playthrough was thinking that Chakwas could metal gear solid her way back to the Normandy without an escort or a weapon.

I would pay extra for that to be a DLC like the Joker mission.

That's...interesting. What exactly does Garrus have to say? And how does he say it? I know he expresses his concerns over Shepard working for Cerberus, but he seemed to be one of the ones to set aside his doubts and trust in his commander.
    I've never heard it myself. I got all the ship upgrades so nobody died in the cutscene for me. I'm surprised you didn't end up hearing it.

At least Garrus actually wears armor, unlike certain other characters.
    Yeah that bugged me to. "Hey guy's we're headed for some hard Vacuum, don't forget your scuba masks."

I think Garrus and Tali really are the only ones in the whole game with a proper airtight suit. Zaeed get's a helmet but his entire arm is exposed, same story with Grunt.

Oh well this give me a chuckle bringing Jack to the migrant fleet though. Here you've got Shep all sealed up so as not to spread any of his deadly human diseases to the poor fragile Quarians and Jack is just like, "What?! I'm wearing my mask!".

Warp Ammo...yeah, not a huge fan, I much prefer Tungsten. That with the Widow and Assassin Cloak. It's like one shot, one overkill. And I love it.
    I went with warp because it's a global damage boost against everything but shields I think.

I love shockwave for husks, but that's about where my interest in Jack ends. Have I mentioned how much I hate shotguns? She is about my least favorite combination of everything.
    Shotguns are ass, I won't defend them. The new DLC one isn't bad but they still spread out by a ridiculous amount and those are some of the slowest hypersonic projectiles I've ever seen.

That's one thing that really bothers me about the gunplay in this one in general. I remember in ME1 how when you fired your weapon it was basically an instant hit. The flight time was imperceptible just like you'd expect reading the codex description of what the weapons are like. Now in this one I actually have to lead a Vorcha by like a meter with my pistol if he's more than 20 feet away. ME1 weapons felt powerful, ME2 weapons feel more like nerfguns with inexplicably high recoil to me, especially the shotguns.

If she met me when the mission was over, yeah. We saw how well that worked out with Nihlus, so I'm not convinced that that's a threat she's capable of carrying out. I'll make every effort to keep her alive for my main playthrough. Just to see what happens.
    I've never got far enough in the dialog with her to get to that point.

Yeah, Kasumi. There's a news report about her on Illium, I think it was.
    You can even get her to appear in the final cutscene apparently. She takes either Jack or Tali's place in dying, but it looks like what I hope is just a placeholder model.

Really? I'm not sure what to think now. I may just make a playthrough to test it out myself.
    I had no picture for sure, I just can't remember with 100% certainty if that Shepard was the same one that turned her down at the end or just didn't talk to her period. I made one but then remade him because his face was just pissing me off too much to take him through 3 games.

That would be another suggestion I'd offer up to the Dev team for part 3. Let the player

-Create a new face right from the title screen not have to play through a 10 minute opening sequence first.

-Tweek their created face after the tutorial mission because the face always looks different in the character creator than in the actual game.

-View the created Shepard as a game model fully zoomed out before accepting the face

-Have buttons to run through some basic facial expressions so they can see how the face will move.

-Have a light source to toggle on/off on one side of the face creator sreen so they can see how shadows will fall on the face and check for really sharp edges.

I'm almost positive that she was planned to be a romance option, but some of the developers raised the concern of the "chicken feet" and that pretty much ended that plan.
    Honestly, Liara being the only Asari in the universe with eyebrows bothered me a lot more than the chickenfeet. I want to be able to ask her about it in part 3.

Paragon: So I've noticed something different about you Liara...

Neutral: So Liara, why do you have eyebrows

Renegade: So, did someone attack you with a sharpie the first time you "fainted" or something, you know you can wash that off.

Renegade interrupt: Throw her in a headlock, lick your thumb, and try to rub it off.

Hey guys, I've been wondering... how do you want the 3rd game to open?

I've been thinking about it a lot, and here's my take on how they should introduce the next installment.

I'd really like the game to open up with them already in the war with the reapers.

I think that'd be a great way to introduce it. They're attacking planets all over the place, humans/other races are dieing and they can't defeat them because of the mass numbers.

I'd even love to see the citadel destroyed and you lose some familiar faces from all the games previous. Anderson can die in the downfall, trying to be a hero. Hell, even an attack on earth would be cool. it would add so much depth to the story if we lost our world.

Then through this, you ( the character ) sets out on a final quest to find a way to stop them... but the task is really impossible because the reapers are all over space, and all hope already seems lost.

I thought this would be a cool way to start the game.

Maybe it should be like, 4 months into the war or something.
    Last edited by Alan Wake; March 4th, 2010 at 07:31 PM.

I absolutely want ME3 to open with the war already in progress. I have no idea how I want it to progress after that, but I know for sure I want an epic last stand as the final mission in the game.

For that, I'm thinking either
    - Earth, using the Prothean home/megaweapon route
    - Eden Prime, for the same reason + full circle to where the trilogy started
    - the Citadel, because it's the Reapers' own device

Oh and AW, I forgot to tell you earlier: I love your sig. I laugh every time I see it

12345678War9101112
    Bernice SummerfieldSarah Jane SmithTorchwood

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I absolutely want ME3 to open with the war already in progress. I have no idea how I want it to progress after that, but I know for sure I want an epic last stand as the final mission in the game.

For that, I'm thinking either
    - Earth, using the Prothean home/megaweapon route
    - Eden Prime, for the same reason + full circle to where the trilogy started
    - the Citadel, because it's the Reapers' own device

Oh and AW, I forgot to tell you earlier: I love your sig. I laugh every time I see it
    I like the last idea. a bit of irony. or perhaps we don't defeat them... but only mange to stop them.

Kinda like the Matrix ending. they'll still be "around"

I'd actually like to meet a reaper who isn't "evil", who's maybe good... and wants to stop the other machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Wake View Post
    Hey guys, I've been wondering... how do you want the 3rd game to open?

I've been thinking about it a lot, and here's my take on how they should introduce the next installment.

I'd really like the game to open up with them already in the war with the reapers.

I think that'd be a great way to introduce it. They're attacking planets all over the place, humans/other races are dieing and they can't defeat them because of the mass numbers.

I'd even love to see the citadel destroyed and you lose some familiar faces from all the games previous. Anderson can die in the downfall, trying to be a hero. Hell, even an attack on earth would be cool. it would add so much depth to the story if we lost our world.

Then through this, you ( the character ) sets out on a final quest to find a way to stop them... but the task is really impossible because the reapers are all over space, and all hope already seems lost.

I thought this would be a cool way to start the game.

Maybe it should be like, 4 months into the war or something.
    The main thing I want from ME3 is just not to have to gather a whole new team again. Not only do I like the characters they've already got and don't see any need to push them out in favor of starting from scratch again, I also just don't want to have to do that again.

This is going to be the final part of the story so it would seem awfully stupid if you're still not prepared again because the 20 some reliable people you already know were wisked away by plot magic.

My other major hope is a party system that'll let you use more than 2 characters at once.

In terms of plot I don't really have a lot that I think "absolutely must happen" or anything. I mainly just don't want some sort of bull**** Independance day/ark of truth type ending where I have to upload a virus to Harbinger to make all the reapers die.

I want instead to have to fly around the galaxy gathering up all my allies to kick reaper ass. There was a reason I didn't kill that Rachni queen, hacked those Geth, made friends with Aria, kept Wrex alive to lead the Krogan, preserved the collector base, got the Quarians looking at Tali as a new potential Admiral, and put Anderson on the citadel council.

Pretty much every action I've taken with my main Sheppard was based around the idea of needing to gather strength and allies for the coming war. If I get ripped off by some sort of "upload virus to winz" nonsense I'm going to be a little annoyed.

I even killed the original council off because I was convinced by the end of the first game that their tiresome drag assing and stern commitment to total inaction would spell the doom of all sentient life.

Lieutenant Colonel

The main thing I want from ME3 is just not to have to gather a whole new team again. Not only do I like the characters they've already got and don't see any need to push them out in favor of starting from scratch again, I also just don't want to have to do that again.

This is going to be the final part of the story so it would seem awfully stupid if you're still not prepared again because the 20 some reliable people you already know were wisked away by plot magic.

My other major hope is a party system that'll let you use more than 2 characters at once.

In terms of plot I don't really have a lot that I think "absolutely must happen" or anything. I mainly just don't want some sort of bull**** Independance day/ark of truth type ending where I have to upload a virus to Harbinger to make all the reapers die.

I want instead to have to fly around the galaxy gathering up all my allies to kick reaper ass. There was a reason I didn't kill that Rachni queen, hacked those Geth, made friends with Aria, kept Wrex alive to lead the Krogan, preserved the collector base, got the Quarians looking at Tali as a new potential Admiral, and put Anderson on the citadel council.

Pretty much every action I've taken with my main Sheppard was based around the idea of needing to gather strength and allies for the coming war. If I get ripped off by some sort of "upload virus to winz" nonsense I'm going to be a little annoyed.

I even killed the original council off because I was convinced by the end of the first game that their tiresome drag assing and stern commitment to total inaction would spell the doom of all sentient life.
    I think there's been plenty of set up, like with the rachni, or the krogan, that you'll be collecting allies to fight the reapers. Anyone remember Mordin's mission with the Genophage and how it could be fixed, I reckon that's going to be important in ME 3. Lovely moral choice of whether you want to led horde's or Krogan out again.

I just hope after Mass Effect 3 we still get more Mass Effect stuff. Some things don't need sequels, there isn't scope for it, but with Mass Effect they've built a whole universe that's as rich as Star Trek, Star Wars or Star Gate, and I want to keep exploring it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    I think there's been plenty of set up, like with the rachni, or the krogan, that you'll be collecting allies to fight the reapers. Anyone remember Mordin's mission with the Genophage and how it could be fixed, I reckon that's going to be important in ME 3. Lovely moral choice of whether you want to led horde's or Krogan out again.
    I saved the cure. At the very least I can threaten the council with the return of the Krogan horde if they try and drag ass on me again. "You can fight the Reapers or you can fight the Krogan but you bureaucratic *******s are going to be fighting a war, one way or the other."

I just hope after Mass Effect 3 we still get more Mass Effect stuff. Some things don't need sequels, there isn't scope for it, but with Mass Effect they've built a whole universe that's as rich as Star Trek, Star Wars or Star Gate, and I want to keep exploring it.
    It's funny, after the first game I thought MEverse was a nice example of my country finally doing something right in terms of entertainment for once, but ultimately not particularly stand out from the sci-fi crowd. Some elements of the setting were pretty stock and generic, but others like the thought put into how mass effect fields worked and the space combat in the codex really impressed me. Part 2 has elevated it above any of those settings you mentioned for me.

Lieutenant Colonel

It's funny, after the first game I thought MEverse was a nice example of my country finally doing something right in terms of entertainment for once, but ultimately not particularly stand out from the sci-fi crowd. Some elements of the setting were pretty stock and generic, but others like the thought put into how mass effect fields worked and the space combat in the codex really impressed me. Part 2 has elevated it above any of those settings you mentioned for me.
    I think the Mass Effect universe while not particularly original, stands out by using scifi tropes in interesting ways and having a well developed and believable universe. One of the great things about it is that none of the races have a "hat," you know how in star Trek all the races have one defining feature, Vulcans are logical, Romulans are devious, Klingons are all about fighting. It wasn't believable, how do the Klingons maintain an advanced society if everyone's concerned with shouting lots and fighting, they'd implode as a society. Where as in Mass Effect many of the races are not defined by one feature, while yes in the Universe the Asari are big on diplomacy, Salarians big on espionage and the Turians big on war it's not all they do. You meet diplomats from all 3 races, soldiers from all 3 races, merchants from all 3, you meet an undercover Turian in Chora's den in the first game as well as Salarians doing sneaky stuff, believably all these races are multifaceted.

Some of the more minor races are slightly less developed but as the games progress we learn more about them, for instance the Hanar just seemed to be weird jellyfish with a thing about preaching about the Protheans. Except of course you find in Mass Effect 2 thane Thane, the Drell assassin was employed by them and they clearly weren't just the innocent jellyfish your thought they might be.

The closest you get to a one note race is the Krogan in my opinion and even that's subverted beautifully. They are almost the equivalent of Klingons in Mass Effect, proud warrior race, all about the fighting, Michael Dorn voices one of them but of course Mass Effect shows how self destructive a society that would be, with the Krogans behaviour constantly leading to their near extinction.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    I think the Mass Effect universe while not particularly original, stands out by using scifi tropes in interesting ways and having a well developed and believable universe. One of the great things about it is that none of the races have a "hat," you know how in star Trek all the races have one defining feature, Vulcans are logical, Romulans are devious, Klingons are all about fighting. It wasn't believable, how do the Klingons maintain an advanced society if everyone's concerned with shouting lots and fighting, they'd implode as a society. Where as in Mass Effect many of the races are not defined by one feature, while yes in the Universe the Asari are big on diplomacy, Salarians big on espionage and the Turians big on war it's not all they do. You meet diplomats from all 3 races, soldiers from all 3 races, merchants from all 3, you meet an undercover Turian in Chora's den in the first game as well as Salarians doing sneaky stuff, believably all these races are multifaceted.
    The Asari probably bothered me the most. Since they just seemed like such obvious nerdbait fanservice. A race of "aliens" that are all attractive females and go out of their way to mate with other species. Then ME2 had the Asari bartender and I'm cool with Asari now.

I wanted her on the ship so bad, to the point I would have gladly traded away multiple other characters to do it. If ME3 offers up some sort of opportunity to nominate new council members for the various species there's just no way I can see them coming up with an Asari I'd pick over her.

Between her and Aria the Asari took a big step up in my book in ME2.

Some of the more minor races are slightly less developed but as the games progress we learn more about them, for instance the Hanar just seemed to be weird jellyfish with a thing about preaching about the Protheans. Except of course you find in Mass Effect 2 thane Thane, the Drell assassin was employed by them and they clearly weren't just the innocent jellyfish your thought they might be.
    Zaeed's also got a story about being strangled by one and how he'll never underestimate them again. Apparently they're freakishly fast and strong, they just get slowed down a lot when they're not in water. The fact they also train up pseudo religious assassins came as a bit of a surprise to.

The closest you get to a one note race is the Krogan in my opinion and even that's subverted beautifully. They are almost the equivalent of Klingons in Mass Effect, proud warrior race, all about the fighting, Michael Dorn voices one of them but of course Mass Effect shows how self destructive a society that would be, with the Krogans behaviour constantly leading to their near extinction.
    I liked O'keer to. I was disappointed when it ended up I wasn't going to get him for my team. ME2 did a lot for the Krogans just like the Asari. Mordin's loyalty mission and that Krogan talking about his son really brought home their "human" side if you will.