Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 1734
  1. #41
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    4,563

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gotthammer View Post
    Just to bump this thread...

    Soooo....who likes Tali?
    *ducks for cover*

    On a more 'serious' note: still no word on the Hammerhead?
    I really like Tali, Mass Effect 2 really expanded her character. Then again Mass Effect 2 is so jam packed with brillinat characters I could go on and on about all of them. I'm a big Thane and Garrus fan as well, both of them are so awsome.

  2. #42
    Colonel s09119's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    7,456

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    I really like Tali, Mass Effect 2 really expanded her character. Then again Mass Effect 2 is so jam packed with brillinat characters I could go on and on about all of them. I'm a big Thane and Garrus fan as well, both of them are so awsome.
    I loved all the characters, even the ones I thought I'd hate. I ended up leaving Liara (wow she got scary) for Miranda (who is such a sweetheart ones you warm off her Ice Queen-ness), but even then, it was tough to turn down Jack (once her problems were solved) and Tali (who is just so innocent and adorable).

    Favorite moment ever though; Joker and EDI in the AI core. "I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees." *horrified stare*
    ...that is a joke."
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

  3. #43
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    4,563

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by s09119 View Post
    Favorite moment ever though; Joker and EDI in the AI core. "I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees." *horrified stare*
    ...that is a joke."
    Probably my favourite moment as well. Now for some Mass Effect 2 soundtrack awsomeness

  4. #44
    Colonel Oranos's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,869

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by s09119 View Post
    Favorite moment ever though; Joker and EDI in the AI core. "I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees." *horrified stare*
    ...that is a joke."
    Yes!

    "Great. See, this is where it starts, and when we're all just organic batteries, guess who they'll blame? This is all Joker's fault. What a tool he was. I have to spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord."

  5. #45
    First Lieutenant guppy338's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Location
    england
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    i think saveing the racni queen will pay off with a army to fight the reapers

  6. #46
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    4,563

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by guppy338 View Post
    i think saveing the racni queen will pay off with a army to fight the reapers
    I agree, indeed it's signposted in Mass Effect 2, pretty awesome moment.

  7. #47
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,651

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Let's try to not be crude please

  8. #48
    Colonel Oranos's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,869

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by guppy338 View Post
    i think saveing the racni queen will pay off with a army to fight the reapers
    I'll laugh when they get indoctrinated again and turn on you.

    I'll stick with an army that hasn't proven to have weak willpower.

  9. #49
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    4,563

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    Let's try to not be crude please
    Uh oh, could spell trouble with any discussion over Jack (or Kelly, she seems to like, really like everyone on the ship). Anyway we will try and keep the smut down

    Quote Originally Posted by Oranos View Post
    I'll laugh when they get indoctrinated again and turn on you.

    I'll stick with an army that hasn't proven to have weak willpower.
    Boo nasty renegade. Though I must confess a secret addiction to punching reporters in the face.

  10. #50
    Colonel Oranos's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,869

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    Uh oh, could spell trouble with any discussion over Jack (or Kelly, she seems to like, really like everyone on the ship). Anyway we will try and keep the smut down
    Damnit. Does this mean I can't make jokes about what these two probably did with that blasted Varren?

    I had some good scale-itch comments ready to work with.

  11. #51
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    4,563

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Oranos View Post
    Damnit. Does this mean I can't make jokes about what these two probably did with that blasted Varren?

    I had some good scale-itch comments ready to work with.
    Yuh that might fall outside the pg limits of the forum As Mordin said "Implications are unpleasant"

  12. #52
    Colonel Oranos's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,869

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    Yuh that might fall outside the pg limits of the forum As Mordin said "Implications are unpleasant"
    And Mordin knows best.

    And now the moment you've all been waiting for!

    http://masseffect.bioware.com/info/cerberus/

    You can green me when you're done drooling.

  13. #53
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    4,563

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Oranos View Post
    And Mordin knows best.

    And now the moment you've all been waiting for!

    http://masseffect.bioware.com/info/cerberus/

    You can green me when you're done drooling.
    Formum won't let me green you at the moment. Have some mental green . Hammerhead looks sweet, hope it handles better than the Mako though. On other note was anyone a little disappointed with Zaeed? Yes his mission was cool, but he wasn't as well developed as the other characters and as a result stuck out like a sore thumb.

  14. #54
    Colonel Oranos's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,869

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    Formum won't let me green you at the moment. Have some mental green .
    Bummer. Guess I'll just have to wait for the Kasumi announcement (and beat everyone to that).

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    Hammerhead looks sweet, hope it handles better than the Mako though.
    But. It. Hovers. That just makes everything better.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    On other note was anyone a little disappointed with Zaeed? Yes his mission was cool, but he wasn't as well developed as the other characters and as a result stuck out like a sore thumb.
    I never really liked him, never really talked to him, and never brought him with me. No, no. Scratch that. Damn loyalty mission.

    How bad was it?

    I'm actually not sure who I disliked more. Zaeed or Jack.

  15. #55
    Major gotthammer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Uncharted Territories
    Posts
    2,076

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by guppy338 View Post
    i think saving the rachni queen will pay off with a army to fight the reapers
    I'm more interested in what I can do with the Geth. I really hope there will be a path/option to help Admiral Xen 'repossess' the Geth for the Quarians.
    (and I stand by my comments, here and on BW's boards: I'd like to trade in Tali and/or Grunt for either Kal "Animal Mother" Reegar or Admiral Morrigan )
    Oh, and I want a bigger ship w/ a bar w/ the asari matriarch from Illium as bartender.
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...ndex/1273320/1

  16. #56
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    4,563

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Oranos View Post
    I never really liked him, never really talked to him, and never brought him with me. No, no. Scratch that. Damn loyalty mission.

    How bad was it?

    I'm actually not sure who I disliked more. Zaeed or Jack.
    Well I found Jack a useful character in that despite the fact that Cerberus was playing nice in Mass Effect 2 her story emphasised how nasty they were. On the other hand I probably wouldn't have shed a tear if she had died on my suicide mission, especially after I had managed to get everyone through alive and everyone else had extensive conversations with her, the only response from her I got was "f*** off". Charming.

  17. #57
    Major gotthammer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Uncharted Territories
    Posts
    2,076

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    I liked Zaeed from what little of him I've seen, but I was quite disappointed. I wish he had dialogue options...

    Any of you regularly brought along Miranda for the sole purpose of trying to see what the Cerberus PoV would be? I usually had her and Tali as my 'regular' group (kinda wish there could be a 4th member...would've brought Mordin more often, then)

    As for Jack: I don't recall using her...(I did all the loyalty missions in my 1st playthrough tho', but that was kinda it) Yeah, her character was quite abrasive, but I don't think that was the reason I didn't use her. *shrugs*

  18. #58
    Colonel Oranos's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,869

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    From the other thread--carrying the conversation over to here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Giantevilhead
    1. There's a difference between unexplored and uninhabited. I said that the Terminus system was unexplored not uninhabited. Notice how I made the comparison between the Terminus system and the Delphic Expanse. The Delphic Expanse wasn't uninhabited either. In fact, it was heavily populated by a ton of different races, however it was largely unexplored by Starfleet, just like how Terminus was largely unexplored by the Alliance.
    Explain to me exactly. Because I'm really not following you right now (though this may be overload from my midterms). How is Terminus unexplored? It's well mapped--something that requires exploration.

    Quote Originally Posted by Giantevilhead
    For someone who claims to know a lot about ME, you sure are getting a lot of facts wrong. The Alliance fleet isn't even close to the power of Turians. The Turians were simply overconfident during the first contact war. They thought that they had defeated most of the human forces when they bombarded the Shanxi colony. They didn't know about earth so they were surprised when the Second Fleet came to liberate Shanxi. If the Council hadn't stepped in to end the conflict the Turians would have wiped the humans out. Even during the events of the games, humans still had the weakest fleet. The Alliance only has 8 dreadnoughts while the Salarians have 16, the Asari have 20, and the Turians have the most with 39.
    As of the first game, the Alliance Fleet is considered to rival the Turian's own. Not necessarily in numbers--you're right, the Turians have a distinct advantage in dreadnoughts--but that doesn't change facts. You seem to think dreadnoughts are the defining factor, which is a ridiculous notion. There's other factors that play into having a powerful fleet.

    In fact, as of "Ascension," the Alliance Fleet is the most powerful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Giantevilhead
    How were the Geth not mysterious? Their appearance in ME1 was the first time they came out of the Perseus Veil in 300 years. As for Saren, he's a freakin' Spectre! Spectres are the Special Tactics and Reconnaissance branch of the Citadel. Saying that Spectres aren't mysterious is like saying that Delta Force or the CIA aren't mysterious.
    Geth? Go talk to the nearest Quarian. They can tell you just about everything you want to know about them. Their history, how they work. Did you miss all the conversations with Tali'Zorah?

    As for Saren, all his records may be classified, but only as a Spectre. And he's very well known. How he operates on the job, why he thinks the way he does. Saren’s the best and everyone knows it. Just because you’re special forces doesn’t make you an unknown quantity. Seriously, when a Spectre goes in, everyone knows. It’s why the Council makes use of the Salarian STG. It’s a far less pretentious deployment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Giantevilhead
    Did you not notice that I was making a comparison with Star Trek? The Vulcans sort of helped Archer too but it was up to the Enterprise and Starfleet to do most of the heavy lifting in dealing with the major threats. It's the same thing with the Council, they kind of help but it was Shepard and the Alliance that had to make the greatest sacrifices.
    Considering Shepard is part of the Council—as a Spectre—saying they don’t provide assistance is illogical at best. Spectres operate under Council command, not Alliance command. It's why you can tell Hackett and Mikhailovich to stuff it. And why would a Spectre get a ton of help in the first place? They're the guys that deal with the major threats (and they've always done it on their own). And when one of their own goes rogue, only a Spectre is up to the challenge of bringing that individual down.

    Furthermore, based on the assistance of the 3rd Infiltration Regiment, it's logical to conclude that Council is utilizing other resources to follow up other leads. They just don't turn up any relevant information to help you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Giantevilhead
    I may have been mistaken about that. However, it is ridiculous that the Council would be willing to dismiss the Reaper threat since the Asari can mind meld.
    It's politics. The Reapers haven't invaded for two years. It's only natural that it'd be swept under the rug. If you think it's stupid, I direct you to the American political system.

    Quote Originally Posted by Giantevilhead
    Let's look at all the bad things Cerberus did in the first game,
    Akuze - Thresher Maw attack
    Sigma 23 - overrun by Rachni
    Listening Post Theta - overrun by Rachni
    Chasca - colony turned into husks
    Admiral Kahoku - died of "natural causes" after trying to investigate Cerberus

    These are just the ones that I remember. They get summarily dismissed or minimized in the second game. All you get is an e-mail from Toombs and some flimsy excuse from Miranda about how Cerberus never intended for bad things to happen when they studied the Rachni and Thorian creepers.
    I had addressed a similar complaint earlier. I'd just assumed you had read it. But I'm willing to cover a few of the basics again.

    You can press the Illusive Man on the subject too, as I recall (in addition to the instances you mentioned). And he insists that it’s the work of rogue cells. Whether that’s true or not is debatable. But of course he’s going to want to gloss over it. He wants—no, needs—Shepard to work with him. And if he has to lie or avoid the topic to do so, he will. That's why Cerberus is "playing nice" and has given Shepard a crew of non-extremists. To get Shepard to help. Pissing him off isn't exactly the way to do that.

    And not all of those actions are evil. Cerberus completely botched the Rachni expirements from the start, presuming that they weren't intelligent. They escaped and wrecked havoc. You can't just look at Cerberus and say it's bad. Some of what they do is actually pretty admirable. At other times, they appear to be completely incompetent. And other times, they do some pretty bad things (sometimes for the right reasons, sometimes not).

    Quote Originally Posted by Giantevilhead
    My point was that even though there are so few named sentient races in ME, only a three of them have really been thoroughly explored. At least with Star Trek, they have an excuse for not exploring most of their races since there are hundreds of them.

    Also, Keepers aren't sentient.
    Three? Hardly. The Turians, Asari, Salarians, Krogan, Quarians, and humans have been explored in depth. We know a good deal about the Geth as well.

    And the Keepers are debatable. There’s some interesting speculation on them in the second game (and for the life of me, I can't remember where I heard it).

  19. #59
    Colonel Oranos's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,869

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gotthammer View Post
    Any of you regularly brought along Miranda for the sole purpose of trying to see what the Cerberus PoV would be? I usually had her and Tali as my 'regular' group (kinda wish there could be a 4th member...would've brought Mordin more often, then)
    Miranda is, far and away, the most useful of your squadmates (especially when you play on insanity). She is the defense killer with Overload and Warp. She boots squad health and weapon damage. And Slam isn't too bad either. Her personality and usefulness is a large part of why I bring her almost everywhere.

    Pretty much the same with Garrus. He's probably the second most useful character.

    Quote Originally Posted by gotthammer
    As for Jack: I don't recall using her...(I did all the loyalty missions in my 1st playthrough tho', but that was kinda it) Yeah, her character was quite abrasive, but I don't think that was the reason I didn't use her. *shrugs*
    Jack's skillset was almost as bad as Tali's and Jacob's. Except Jack was pretty good when it came to those husks that just swarm and swarm and swarm. That and her personality just killed it for me.

  20. #60

    Default Re: Mass Effect universe discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Oranos View Post
    From the other thread--carrying the conversation over to here.

    Explain to me exactly. Because I'm really not following you right now (though this may be overload from my midterms). How is Terminus unexplored? It's well mapped--something that requires exploration.

    Considering Shepard is part of the Council—as a Spectre—saying they don’t provide assistance is illogical at best. Spectres operate under Council command, not Alliance command. It's why you can tell Hackett and Mikhailovich to stuff it. And why would a Spectre get a ton of help in the first place? They're the guys that deal with the major threats (and they've always done it on their own). And when one of their own goes rogue, only a Spectre is up to the challenge of bringing that individual down.

    Furthermore, based on the assistance of the 3rd Infiltration Regiment, it's logical to conclude that Council is utilizing other resources to follow up other leads. They just don't turn up any relevant information to help you.
    Have you ever heard of a hyperbole? It's an obvious exaggeration used to prove a point. It's like when someone says, "I hate waiting in line for the rides at Disney Land, it's like being at the DMV, it takes forever." They don't literally mean that standing in line at Disney Land or at the DMV actually takes forever. They're making a comparison between two similar events and exaggerating their similarities to make a point.

    The point I was making is that ME is very similar to Star Trek Enterprise.

    When I said that the Terminus Sector/Delphic Expanse was unexplored, I didn't mean it literally. Both places were explored but not by humans. Shepard may have had a map of the Sector but he had little idea about what he would find there, all he knew that it was a dangerous place full of pirates and mercs. It's the same thing with Enterprise and the Delphic Expanse, the Klingons and Vulcans had mapped the region. However, all the Enterprise really knew about the Expanse was that it was full of dangerous anomalies.

    It's the same thing when I said that the Council/Vulcans didn't help the hero. Both of them helped. The Vulcans gave humans tech and information, they even sent ships to help occasionally. However, the help they offered was relatively minor in regards to the plot. It's the same thing with the Council, they helped with the Salarian infiltration team and they put blockades around mass relays but their efforts did very little to stop Sovereign.

    As of the first game, the Alliance Fleet is considered to rival the Turian's own. Not necessarily in numbers--you're right, the Turians have a distinct advantage in dreadnoughts--but that doesn't change facts. You seem to think dreadnoughts are the defining factor, which is a ridiculous notion. There's other factors that play into having a powerful fleet.
    Dreadnoughts are the WMD's of the ME universe. They're powerful enough that the Council actually have a treaty to limit their numbers.

    In fact, as of "Ascension," the Alliance Fleet is the most powerful.
    That's actually another problem with the ME universe. Humans have only had mass effect technology for 30 years and suddenly they're more powerful than races that have had ME tech for more than a thousand years.

    Geth? Go talk to the nearest Quarian. They can tell you just about everything you want to know about them. Their history, how they work. Did you miss all the conversations with Tali'Zorah?
    What exactly does that have to do with the Geth's motivations for coming out of the Perseus Veil after 300 years and attacking a human colony for no reason? How much the Geth have changed in 300 years is a mystery. Their sudden aggressive actions are mysterious. What they hope to achieve through their attacks is a mystery. Why they're helping Saren is a mystery. Whether or not they built Sovereign is a mystery. Therefore, the Geth are a mysterious enemy.

    As for Saren, all his records may be classified, but only as a Spectre. And he's very well known. How he operates on the job, why he thinks the way he does. Saren’s the best and everyone knows it. Just because you’re special forces doesn’t make you an unknown quantity. Seriously, when a Spectre goes in, everyone knows. It’s why the Council makes use of the Salarian STG. It’s a far less pretentious deployment.
    So did you know from the very beginning of the game where Saren got a huge 2 km long ship and why he suddenly decided to betray the Council, and attack Eden Prime, based on the fact that he was the best and most well known Spectre? No? Then doesn't the fact that he did something that is completely antithetical to what people think was his nature suggest that people didn't know him nearly as well as they think? Therefore, doesn't that make him a mystery?

    It's politics. The Reapers haven't invaded for two years. It's only natural that it'd be swept under the rug. If you think it's stupid, I direct you to the American political system.
    Yes, because we've faced a crisis that could result in the total annihilation of all life on the planet before.

    I had addressed a similar complaint earlier. I'd just assumed you had read it. But I'm willing to cover a few of the basics again.

    You can press the Illusive Man on the subject too, as I recall (in addition to the instances you mentioned). And he insists that it’s the work of rogue cells. Whether that’s true or not is debatable. But of course he’s going to want to gloss over it. He wants—no, needs—Shepard to work with him. And if he has to lie or avoid the topic to do so, he will. That's why Cerberus is "playing nice" and has given Shepard a crew of non-extremists. To get Shepard to help. Pissing him off isn't exactly the way to do that.
    My problem isn't that Cerberus is sweeping everything under the rug, my problem is how so many people are willing to accept their BS, especially Shepard.

    Sure, you have a few people distrusting Cerberus but given the fact that the Alliance and the Council considers it a terrorist organization, people should be trying to arrest you, not making idle threats.

    And not all of those actions are evil. Cerberus completely botched the Rachni expirements from the start, presuming that they weren't intelligent. They escaped and wrecked havoc. You can't just look at Cerberus and say it's bad. Some of what they do is actually pretty admirable. At other times, they appear to be completely incompetent. And other times, they do some pretty bad things (sometimes for the right reasons, sometimes not).
    And Hamas builds schools, gyms, health care clinics, mosques, and day care centers, but it doesn't change the fact that they're a terrorist organization.

    Three? Hardly. The Turians, Asari, Salarians, Krogan, Quarians, and humans have been explored in depth. We know a good deal about the Geth as well.
    How much do you really know about the Turians and the Salarians aside from the Codices? The Codices are nice but the information they give pale in comparison to what you can learn from actual interactions. It's like with the Klingons in Star Trek, all the text on them says that they're an honorable warrior race but we know that's not true from the TV shows and movies. ME2 has an example of that too with the Quarians. What was shown of Quarian society in ME2 adds a lot to what was just in the codex in ME1.

    As for the Asari, they're supposed to be the mystical race that we don't know much about like Yoda's race or the Changelings, so the fact that we aren't given much information about them isn't a big deal.

    And the Keepers are debatable. There’s some interesting speculation on them in the second game (and for the life of me, I can't remember where I heard it).
    The only speculation comes in the form of an e-mail from the Salarian scientist from the first game that you helped gather information on the Keepers. He speculated that the Keepers predate the Protheans, something that you already know.

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. "Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation Thread ( Spoilers S2)
    By Darren in forum SGU General Discussion
    Replies: 15899
    Last Post: October 8th, 2016, 04:25 PM
  2. Stealing Mass Effect music?
    By witter in forum Darkness
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: January 4th, 2011, 02:51 AM
  3. Mass Effect maybe?
    By daedalus91 in forum SGA General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 24th, 2009, 10:23 PM
  4. Mass Effect
    By s09119 in forum General Sci-Fi and Fantasy
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: March 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM
  5. Stargate Universe Character Discussion Thread
    By Pandora's_Box in forum SGU General Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: December 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •