No announcement yet.

Ghosts In the Machine (108)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines. Seriously giving up on the holoband was the stupidest business-wise decision I've ever seen in fiction. It'd be like Google saying "Search is dead. Android is the future." Only worse because I'm pretty sure fully immersive virtual-reality >> clunky robots in terms of which is more futuristic and has more business potential.

Comment

Not necessarily. While it was dumb to give up the holobands, military contracts are usually worth a positively obscene amount of money.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by abc123 View Post
        Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines. Seriously giving up on the holoband was the stupidest business-wise decision I've ever seen in fiction. It'd be like Google saying "Search is dead. Android is the future." Only worse because I'm pretty sure fully immersive virtual-reality >> clunky robots in terms of which is more futuristic and has more business potential.
        Maybe, but I thought his reasoning behind it was realistic. Holobands were going the way of illegal music/television/movie downloads. Illegal hacks were becoming ways of circumventing the need to pay for V-world access. It was becoming a monetary loss where as the government and the military is a sure thing/cash cow if you can get the contract. I thought his reasoning made enough sense.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
          I think Daniel does care about Zoe, but has a funny way of showing it.
          Funny?
          Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
          Now that is an understatement.
          I'll say, It seems to me that he is desperate. He already gave up on Zoe a long time ago. He has been trying to save his company, and if Zoe is in that robot then that's his only chance. That's what I am seeing anyway, the dog scene was somewhat ...
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

I understand the reasoning behind branching out, working on a new product, etc. But no company in their right mind would just throw away something as great as the holo-band.

About the hacks and illegal circumvention:
            Windows is probably the most pirated software in existence. But you don't see Microsoft throwing it away just like that. Most games are cracked within days of release but the companies still make a profit. There's no reason to think the fictional Graystone industries couldn't as well. (Plus it's kinda weird to say that *anything* can be hacked so easily. The show clearly states that you can't hack your way back from the dead to New Cap City; why can't Graystone make his V-worlds/games/whatever harder to access illegally.)

And besides, sales from the hardware alone would be quite a cash cow. Although it isn't clear is they gave up that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by abc123 View Post
              I understand the reasoning behind branching out, working on a new product, etc. But no company in their right mind would just throw away something as great as the holo-band.

About the hacks and illegal circumvention:
              Windows is probably the most pirated software in existence. But you don't see Microsoft throwing it away just like that. Most games are cracked within days of release but the companies still make a profit. There's no reason to think the fictional Graystone industries couldn't as well. (Plus it's kinda weird to say that *anything* can be hacked so easily. The show clearly states that you can't hack your way back from the dead to New Cap City; why can't Graystone make his V-worlds/games/whatever harder to access illegally.)

And besides, sales from the hardware alone would be quite a cash cow. Although it isn't clear is they gave up that as well.
              I understand/see your point. To drop involvement in holobands completely would be rather ridiculous considering how popular they are, but his company was hurting financially with the drop in stock prices. Switching company priorities to a military one might bring investors back as well as shift money from the holoband business part of the company to the Cylon project. *shrug*
              IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
              X