Terra Nova (Fox) - News/Discussion/Speculation SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    But if I'm friends with everyone, who have I got to beat over the head with a dinosaur?
    Uhhhhh....what Jel said?

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Twilight fangirls
    Everybody beats Twilight fangirls. They need a break.

But then we go round in a circle. Eventually having unleashed Waggleton P Tallylicker here
    Spoiler:
    [IG]http://images.wikia.com/bulletstorm/images/a/a5/Mechaton.jpg[/IMG]

he'll run out of Twilight fangirls and have to move on to things of similar taste. Like fans of Teen Wolf....
    Or fans of The Vampire Dai....never mind.

Comment

Considering that most scifi shows really have little basis in actual science...
      We're talking Terra Nova, not those other shows. I've already argued how flawed the premise is. Instead of defending the show by pointing out how flawed other shows are, try arguing why the show's science isn't flawed. If you can't do that, then I prove my case.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
        We're talking Terra Nova, not those other shows. I've already argued how flawed the premise is. Instead of defending the show by pointing out how flawed other shows are, try arguing why the show's science isn't flawed. If you can't do that, then I prove my case.
        Erm, ok you've proved your case. The science behind the story of Terra Nova is probably very flawed. Thing is nobody cares. Realistic science simply isn't necessary for a decent story premise, as long as that story is interesting. As it is the trailer makes it abundantly clear this isn't exactly going to be Sartre, it's going to be an excuse for Stephen Lang to shoot dinosaurs. The show will probably love or die depending on how well they do it. And no, it won't be the most intelligent of shows, but why does it have to be? I adore intellectually stimulating stuff, like the Wire and Deadwood as I mentioned in a previous post, but sometimes it's nice to switch one's brain off and have a bit of fun.

Comment

The science behind the story of Terra Nova is probably very flawed. Thing is nobody cares.
          Wrong, I care. If I care, it's likely others do as well.

Realistic science simply isn't necessary for a decent story premise, as long as that story is interesting.
          Avoiding realistic science is lazy writing.

And no, it won't be the most intelligent of shows, but why does it have to be?
          Yes, if I'm going to watch. If it were a cheesy low budget show, I'd be more forgiving.

I adore intellectually stimulating stuff...
          ...but sometimes it's nice to switch one's brain off and have a bit of fun.
          It doesn't have to be intellectually stimulating, but also doesn't have to be dumbed down for the masses. I like shows that are intelligently written. A story can be intelligently written without being an intellectually complicated story. I just want a story that doesn't have things happen, "because it's uber kewl, omgz!111!!!!"

Comment

Wrong, I care. If I care, it's likely others do as well.
            Not that many, otherwise stuff like Transformers and Avatar wouldn't be among the most profitable films ever made.

Avoiding realistic science is lazy writing.
            Tell that to Farscape, most of the "science" in the show was complete ********. Didn't stop it being probably the smartest and most intelligently written scifi show ever made. People care more about well written characters than highly accurate science. Same goes for shows like Doctor Who.
            I just want a story that doesn't have things happen, "because it's uber kewl, omgz!111!!!!"
            But nobody else cares what you want. Tv execs are intrested in money, and the majority of people will lap most things up. And while there is a smaller core audience that is more discerning, they probably aren't going to kick up much of a fuss either. The trailer shows it to be silly fun, people will judge it on its merits as that.
            Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 03 June 2011, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Not that many, otherwise stuff like Transformers and Avatar wouldn't be among the most profitable films ever made.
              Transformers was successful, because it was a two-hour special effect. Avatar was a brilliant film. A lot of the science may be nonsensical, but at least the writers tried to make it believable.

Tell that to Farscape...
              Same goes for shows like Doctor Who.
              I didn't watch either show. Farscape was too weird, Doctor Who was too silly.

But nobody else cares what you want.
              I'm the costumer, I'm the one who buys their product. They better care or I will spend my money elsewhere. Anyone who knows anything about business knows this is the golden rule. Your customers, or in the case of television, your viewing audience comes first.

Tv execs are intrested in money, and the majority of people will lap most things up. And while there is a smaller core audience that is more discerning, they probably aren't going to kick up much of a fuss either. The trailer shows it to be silly fun, people will judge it on its merits as that.
              I'm not interested in silly fun, I'm interested in something with... well... a little more thought out. It doesn't have to be complicated, it just needs to make sense and be well thought out. It's like when Superman pulls a car out of danger by grabbing the bumper. Realistically, the bumper would just rip off the car or bend horrifically. This is why I don't like Superman, it's cartoony. That is how this dinosaur show feels, cartoony. If I want cartoony, I'll watch cartoons.

Comment

Transformers was successful, because it was a two-hour special effect. Avatar was a brilliant film. A lot of the science may be nonsensical, but at least the writers tried to make it believable.

I didn't watch either show. Farscape was too weird, Doctor Who was too silly.

I'm the costumer, I'm the one who buys their product. They better care or I will spend my money elsewhere. Anyone who knows anything about business knows this is the golden rule. Your customers, or in the case of television, your viewing audience comes first.

I'm not interested in silly fun, I'm interested in something with... well... a little more thought out. It doesn't have to be complicated, it just needs to make sense and be well thought out. It's like when Superman pulls a car out of danger by grabbing the bumper. Realistically, the bumper would just rip off the car or bend horrifically. This is why I don't like Superman, it's cartoony. That is how this dinosaur show feels, cartoony. If I want cartoony, I'll watch cartoons.
                You seem to fail to comprehend that you are not in any way representative of really any major part of the tv audience. TV execs care about what the majority of people will want, and a flashy show with dinosaurs will keep them happy. More discerning viewers may watch it for silly fun, they may not. Most won't demand that show that's about shooting dinosaurs be the best written show in existence. In fact they'd probably hope that the better writers are off working on, or pitching, the more arty shows, rather than wasting their time with something that's just throwaway fun.

Comment

Considering that most scifi shows really have little basis in actual science I can't really see how Terra Nova can be seen as any worse than Trek or Stargate or Farscape.

It has someone who can best be described as looking like a cast off from Twilight as the lead. It has the word "Teen" in the title and is about them. It's on MTV. These things tell me instantly it really isn't a show aimed at me. Unless the young idiot in your signature is torn apart in the first 5 minutes and replaced with someone cool, like say Ian McShane in full on evil mode, then I can safely say that Teen Wolf is of zero interest to me.

*EDIT*
                  Just so that no one could say that I hadn't completely dismissed Teen Wolf out of hand, I just watched the trailer for the show on youtube. I'll let Stephen Fry sum up my thoughts on it...

Honestly guys? This show is about a different kind of science, the kind that bites, runs and lives in the Cretaceous. It's a fact that writing a story that's both realistic and entertaining is quite possibly the hardest thing out there, and if we restricted ourselves to watching only such well thought out TV, the market would collapse overnight. Sit back, enjoy the carnage.

Comment

You seem to fail to comprehend that you are not in any way representative of really any major part of the tv audience.
                    I'm expressing why I won't be watching Terra Nova, I'm not trying to represent a television audience.

TV execs care about what the majority of people will want, and a flashy show with dinosaurs will keep them happy.
                    "Let's dumb it down for the masses!" I'll pass.

Most won't demand that show that's about shooting dinosaurs be the best written show in existence.
                    No one's suggesting it be the best written show in existence or even the best written show for FOX. I, however, am suggesting that the writers have taken the time to research their own material so the premise didn't sound like something a child thought up.

In fact they'd probably hope that the better writers are off working on, or pitching, the more arty shows, rather than wasting their time with something that's just throwaway fun.
                    Who says a better writer can only write for an arty show? As a writer, I find that insulting. If I were to have pitched Terra Nova, I'd have the show mostly take place in the present and the distant past. People would be making trips, via time machine, to the distant past to research life forms of the time. Perhaps a plague is devastating the Earth and the cure lies in dinosaur immunities from millions of years ago. To me, that'd be more interesting than, "OMG, we had too much sex in 150 years and magically overpopulated the Earth, let's go back to dinosaur times for kewl action, gun vs dinosaurs, and uh... emo drama?" Eh... I'll pass.

Comment

Who says a better writer can only write for an arty show? As a writer, I find that insulting. If I were to have pitched Terra Nova, I'd have the show mostly take place in the present and the distant past. People would be making trips, via time machine, to the distant past to research life forms of the time. Perhaps a plague is devastating the Earth and the cure lies in dinosaur immunities from millions of years ago. To me, that'd be more interesting than, "OMG, we had too much sex in 150 years and magically overpopulated the Earth, let's go back to dinosaur times for kewl action, gun vs dinosaurs, and uh... emo drama?" Eh... I'll pass.
                      Weren't you just argueing for "realistic and believable science and stories" a moment ago?
                      Now you saying you want people to be traveling back and forth through time researching things for whatever reason. Or, going through the effort of traveling millions of years into the past because they need a cure to a plague that they've somehow managed to figure out that the dinosours were immune to it. "OMG , we're all gonna die of a plague, lets travel back to the Triassic period to find a cure"

Overpopulation isnt just about not having enough space to fit everybody. We would need the resources to sustain that population.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                        Weren't you just argueing for "realistic and believable science and stories" a moment ago?
                        Yes.

Now you saying you want people to be traveling back and forth through time researching things for whatever reason.
                        Yes, what's the problem? Traveling back to prehistoric times for research could make an interesting series if what is being researched is also interesting.

Or, going through the effort of traveling millions of years into the past because they need a cure to a plague that they've somehow managed to figure out that the dinosours were immune to it. "OMG , we're all gonna die of a plague, lets travel back to the Triassic period to find a cure"
                        Try using your imagination. A plague is slowly wiping out not just humanity, but all animal life. Various scientists, historians, archaeologists, and other experts could theorize that this was a long-dormant plague from prehistoric history. It's said that if you survived a bite from a T-Rex, the infection from it's mouth would certainly kill you. Dinosaurs lived or died by their own immunities, there was no doctor to heal them. A working time machine, for historical research, could be commandeered by the government to explore the possibility of the dinosaurs being immune to this plague. All they need is just one dino's immunity. It would be a quest to save tomorrow by delving into history. I like this!

Overpopulation isnt just about not having enough space to fit everybody. We would need the resources to sustain that population.
                        The Earth is vast, I'd like to think it would take several thousand years before this happens. Somehow, six billion people doesn't seem crowded. We have some crowded countries, sure, but the Earth? Naaa...

Comment

Yes.

Yes, what's the problem? Traveling back to prehistoric times for research could make an interesting series if what is being researched is also interesting.
                          A show about research in Africa would be interesting if the thing being researched was also interesting. Dont need a time machine or risk futzing up the timeline then (Something which you argued would happen in another post).
                          Folks having to make a life in the past is interesting. Especially a time as alien as that.

Try using your imagination. A plague is slowly wiping out not just humanity, but all animal life. Various scientists, historians, archaeologists, and other experts could theorize that this was a long-dormant plague from prehistoric history. It's said that if you survived a bite from a T-Rex, the infection from it's mouth would certainly kill you. Dinosaurs lived or died by their own immunities, there was no doctor to heal them. A working time machine, for historical research, could be commandeered by the government to explore the possibility of the dinosaurs being immune to this plague. All they need is just one dino's immunity. It would be a quest to save tomorrow by delving into history. I like this!
                          Being a long dormant plague doesnt mean we wouldnt be able to cure it, or mean we would need to travel millions of years into the past to find a cure. And delving into our history would be just as interesting if we went to a time when there were people. Ancient humans didnt have doctors.

And just because you like it, it doesnt mean everyone else will.

The Earth is vast, I'd like to think it would take several thousand years before this happens. Somehow, six billion people doesn't seem crowded. We have some crowded countries, sure, but the Earth? Naaa...
                          Vast yes, but its not just about having space to put people. We need food and fresh water, minerals and fuel for our tech and buildings etc etc.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                            A show about research in Africa would be interesting if the thing being researched was also interesting. Dont need a time machine or risk futzing up the timeline then (Something which you argued would happen in another post).
                            True, very true, and bravo for paying attention to the dangers of time travel. Like I suggested, what if the cure to the plague only lied in the immunities of prehistoric animals such as dinosaurs? That would be reason to poke around into the past.

Folks having to make a life in the past is interesting. Especially a time as alien as that.
                            Agreed, but I just can't get past the idea of escaping into the past due to over population. Why not just fly off to an alien world?

Being a long dormant plague doesnt mean we wouldnt be able to cure it, or mean we would need to travel millions of years into the past to find a cure. And delving into our history would be just as interesting if we went to a time when there were people. Ancient humans didnt have doctors.
                            The same could be said about over population. We don't have to go into the past when we can colonize and Earth-like world, right? Just as dangerous. True about historic times being just as interesting as prehistoric times. I suggested prehistoric, because what if the plague went dormant before man came along? No more plague, no more immunity.

And just because you like it, it doesnt mean everyone else will.
                            True enough. I'm not saying everyone else should. I'm just saying that is how I would have done the show.

Vast yes, but its not just about having space to put people. We need food and fresh water, minerals and fuel for our tech and buildings etc etc.
                            Food, water, minerals? There's plenty on Earth to more than sustain us if we are not greedy. As for technology and buildings, eh... overrated. We got along fine for thousands of years before the industrial and computer ages. Not everyone need rely on high technology. Whatever happened to living simply? That's what I've loved about Stargate, towns of yesterday mixed with technological marvels of tomorrow. I love it.

Comment

Well two months left till it will air, cant wait

have to watch something when there is no more new Stargate

Comment

No matter if its senseless or not...I'm looking forward to it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X