Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Terra Nova (Fox) - News/Discussion/Speculation

This will be a must watch next season for sure!

Probie

This is filmed in Australia guys! Woooooo

Lieutenant Colonel

The Earth is far from being overpopulated, but we're suppose to believe it will happen in the next 150 years? Riiiight. Maybe if the future part of the show were a few thousand years from now, I could buy the overpopulation aspect. As for evacuating people to 85 million years ago... what? The solution is to totally screw up history in a most permanent way? Who are they to rewrite history, who gives them the authority? As soon as people arrive in the past, shouldn't everyone in the future cease to exist, replaced by a new future? The only solution to this is a predestination paradox, but that would mean that everyone evacuated to the past would eventually die out.

Why don't they evacuate everyone to another planet? If they can build a time machine to compensate for another place and time (you have to factor Earth's day-night rotation and orbit around the sun), why not just lock onto a similar machine on an Earth-like planet in another part of our galaxy? Send an expedition team there, even if it takes a generational ship long after the people of Earth die. Turn on the time machine, lock on to Earth's time machine just after you left. Walla, everyone just steps through to an alien world in the future.

This whole series premise just strikes me as Jurassic Park: The Series. I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    The Earth is far from being overpopulated, but we're suppose to believe it will happen in the next 150 years? Riiiight. Maybe if the future part of the show were a few thousand years from now, I could buy the overpopulation aspect. As for evacuating people to 85 million years ago... what? The solution is to totally screw up history in a most permanent way? Who are they to rewrite history, who gives them the authority? As soon as people arrive in the past, shouldn't everyone in the future cease to exist, replaced by a new future? The only solution to this is a predestination paradox, but that would mean that everyone evacuated to the past would eventually die out.

Why don't they evacuate everyone to another planet? If they can build a time machine to compensate for another place and time (you have to factor Earth's day-night rotation and orbit around the sun), why not just lock onto a similar machine on an Earth-like planet in another part of our galaxy? Send an expedition team there, even if it takes a generational ship long after the people of Earth die. Turn on the time machine, lock on to Earth's time machine just after you left. Walla, everyone just steps through to an alien world in the future.

This whole series premise just strikes me as Jurassic Park: The Series. I'll pass.
    The overpopulation thing isn't that hard to believe actually. Just about one hundred years ago there were only two billion people on the planet. Now there are seven billion. It's feasable.

I am pretty sure this series is design to show pretty pictures of dinosaurs rather than tell a story which make sense to us scifi fans,

I'm just reserving judgement until I see the show.

first of all from what i got from the promo and reading stuff is they can "only" open to this time, which why they picked to live where there were dinosours.

as for effecting the timeline it wouldn't really change that much other then the fact that it would mess up anthropologists data, but humans still would have evolved at the same point and the technological, cultural development will remain the same. my guess is what ever population that they bring back will end up getting wiped out by the same thing that wiped out the dinosaurs. i think you should watch the show or at least the pilot before dismissing the idea. and besides if its a Jurassic park series that great since those movies were awesome!

Colonel

Longer trailer.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran of Atlantis View Post
    The overpopulation thing isn't that hard to believe actually. Just about one hundred years ago there were only two billion people on the planet. Now there are seven billion. It's feasable.
    I think you underestimate how big the Earth is.

Quote Originally Posted by knowles2 View Post
    I am pretty sure this series is design to show pretty pictures of dinosaurs rather than tell a story which make sense to us scifi fans,
    A science-fiction show should be something intelligently written for an intelligent audience. I want attempted scientific credibility from a science-fiction series so I can suspend my disbelief. I want a well written story, not pretty pictures. Give me brilliant writing, then I'll embrace the SFX & VFX.

Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    first of all from what i got from the promo and reading stuff is they can "only" open to this time, which why they picked to live where there were dinosours.
    That would make a bit more sense, an accidental time machine. That's a bit reminiscent of Timeline, a book (and movie) about an accidental time machine that was suppose to be a teleportation device.

as for effecting the timeline it wouldn't really change that much other then the fact that it would mess up anthropologists data, but humans still would have evolved at the same point and the technological, cultural development will remain the same. my guess is what ever population that they bring back will end up getting wiped out by the same thing that wiped out the dinosaurs. i think you should watch the show or at least the pilot before dismissing the idea. and besides if its a Jurassic park series that great since those movies were awesome!
    I'm guessing you've never heard of the butterfly effect.

Lieutenant Colonel

A science-fiction show should be something intelligently written for an intelligent audience. I want attempted scientific credibility from a science-fiction series so I can suspend my disbelief. I want a well written story, not pretty pictures. Give me brilliant writing, then I'll embrace the SFX & VFX.
    What you might want and what you'll actually get can be two very different things. You are not the entirety of the tv audience, nor are you even representative of an average viewer. To put it bluntly, pretty pictures sell well.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    What you might want and what you'll actually get can be two very different things.
    That is why I won't be watching.

You are not the entirety of the tv audience, nor are you even representative of an average viewer. To put it bluntly, pretty pictures sell well.
    It's pitiful, isn't it?

Lieutenant Colonel

It's pitiful, isn't it?
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. As much as I love challenging and extremely intelligent tv like the Wire, the Sopranos, Deadwood or Game of Thrones, sometimes it's nice to have a fun show that's pure entertainment. This looks like it might be. In the grand scheme of tv, I'm much more concerned about audiences watching utter garbage like Jersey Shore, than them watching a show like this.

And Stephen Lang shooting dinosaurs certainly looks better than other crap like Teen Wolf.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. As much as I love challenging and extremely intelligent tv like the Wire, the Sopranos, Deadwood or Game of Thrones, sometimes it's nice to have a fun show that's pure entertainment. This looks like it might be. In the grand scheme of tv, I'm much more concerned about audiences watching utter garbage like Jersey Shore, than them watching a show like this.

And Stephen Lang shooting dinosaurs certainly looks better than other crap like Teen Wolf.
    I think you'll find its geordie shore now.

Bring on the pew pew!

I wonder why people call shows "crap" and put them down before they even air. I know there have been shows that I thought I'd love from episode 1 (SGU). Then the show airs and I'm disappointed. The opposite also happens...I think I won't like the show...but I watch and I'm surprised by it and keep watching.

Give it a chance before you're negative about a show...

Lieutenant Colonel

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. As much as I love challenging and extremely intelligent tv like the Wire, the Sopranos, Deadwood or Game of Thrones, sometimes it's nice to have a fun show that's pure entertainment. This looks like it might be.
    A science-fiction show doesn't have to be extremely intelligent. I just don't want to see the science dumbed down for no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by LtColCarter View Post
    I wonder why people call shows "crap" and put them down before they even air.
    I didn't call it crap, I called the show's premise, as depicted in the preview... crap.

I didn't call it crap, I called the show's premise, as depicted in the preview... crap.
    I wasn't specifically referring to you...but still...give the show a chance!

Saw a preview of this while watching X2 on FX. Might check this out it looks like it might be fun. I thought it looked silly at first. But anything with dinosaurs is awesome....right? RIGHT?!

Lieutenant Colonel

Why should I when I dislike the very premise due to being poorly conceived?

Quote Originally Posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    But anything with dinosaurs is awesome....right? RIGHT?!
    If well written, sure.

Lieutenant Colonel

A science-fiction show doesn't have to be extremely intelligent. I just don't want to see the science dumbed down for no good reason.
    Considering that most scifi shows really have little basis in actual science I can't really see how Terra Nova can be seen as any worse than Trek or Stargate or Farscape.
    It has someone who can best be described as looking like a cast off from Twilight as the lead. It has the word "Teen" in the title and is about them. It's on MTV. These things tell me instantly it really isn't a show aimed at me. Unless the young idiot in your signature is torn apart in the first 5 minutes and replaced with someone cool, like say Ian McShane in full on evil mode, then I can safely say that Teen Wolf is of zero interest to me.

*EDIT*
    Just so that no one could say that I hadn't completely dismissed Teen Wolf out of hand, I just watched the trailer for the show on youtube. I'll let Stephen Fry sum up my thoughts on it...
    Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; June 2nd, 2011 at 05:50 AM.

It has someone who can best be described as looking like a cast off from Twilight as the lead. It has the word "Teen" in the title and is about them. It's on MTV. These things tell me instantly it really isn't a show aimed at me. Unless the young idiot in your signature is torn apart in the first 5 minutes and replaced with someone cool, like say Ian McShane in full on evil mode, then I can safely say that Teen Wolf is of zero interest to me.

*EDIT*
    Just so that no one could say that I hadn't completely dismissed Teen Wolf out of hand, I just watched the trailer for the show on youtube. I'll let Stephen Fry sum up my thoughts on it...
    Lets talk about Terra Nova here and not another show. BTW...posting a video biased in your favor is not evidence. Posting a neutral video and letting people make up their own minds...now that would work.