This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a mobile version of gateworld

hey guys, i am a long time gateworld reader and i was wondering if there are any plans to make a mobile version of the site for the iphone and such

hope that i am not annoying you guys with this but i thought i could do no harm to bring it up

from a mobile internet user on edge

IIRC Darren said the amount of people who visit GW on the phone is not worth the effort to make template for mobile phones
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

I still think it would be kind of nice. GW takes forever to load on my Blackberry, and it's kind of a pain to navigate on my iPod.

I'm not sure how much work it'd involve though. If it's a simple matter of defining table widths and word wrapping, I'd say why not? But if it's a ton of work more than that I'd agree it's just not worth it.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

not worth it
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I haven't had too mcuh trouble with using gateworld on my ipod, particularly the forum. You just have to either zoom in and out or scroll down a lot... nothing too terribly inconvenient.
          "The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, & weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't."
          -Brom in Eragon

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            I still think it would be kind of nice. GW takes forever to load on my Blackberry, and it's kind of a pain to navigate on my iPod.

I'm not sure how much work it'd involve though. If it's a simple matter of defining table widths and word wrapping, I'd say why not? But if it's a ton of work more than that I'd agree it's just not worth it.
            It takes forever to load anyway ... sometimes ..often !!!

Honestly, internet is too expensive on the mobile.. We should begin with GW mobile service .

Huh, I thought they were going to make one and it had nothing to do with the amount of visits - surely more would come if there were a mobile format .

Comment

I wouldn't mind a mobile skin. Gateworld is one of my most visited sites and forums, but my internet is Mobile based which I can use my on PC so in order to save as much bandwidth on my pitiful fair usage, I have had to disable all images using Firefox's settings and I would find it very helpful to me on my phone and even my PC.

Another vB4 forum I visit uses this skin (thank god, because it's a monumental bandwidth whore), http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=228986
              Last edited by SaberBlade; 14 February 2010, 08:23 PM.

sigpic

Comment

if it can be done awesome. if not i can live with it

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  IIRC Darren said the amount of people who visit GW on the phone is not worth the effort to make template for mobile phones
                  Maybe the number of people interested is low because it's such a hassle.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ok I take back what I said before I would love if Darren adopted this. Can we have a poll to see how much interest there is?

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                      Ok I take back what I said before I would love if Darren adopted this. Can we have a poll to see how much interest there is?
                      I think it'd be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by kusanagi View Post
                        Maybe the number of people interested is low because it's such a hassle.
                        That's actually a really good point I'd never considered before.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'd like an iphone app for the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                            i'm sure that would have to be created by vb and not darren.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                              love the idea!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X