Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Would a single ZPM be able to dial Destiny?

What do you think? Would us manage to dial the destiny using only one ZPM? If not how many do you think it would be necessary to.
    http://email.faxem.com.au/download/files/01445/1279070/iStock_000010944279Small_Header.jpg
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Default Re: Would a single ZPM be able to dial Destiny?

No.

A lot. A whole lot of ZPMs in synchrony. It took an entire planet filled with the most unstable element/isotope going critical and practically unleashing all the power it had available.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Second Lieutenant

YESSSSSSSSS!

A ZPM could dial the Destiny again and again and again and ag..... again.

I once calculated that it would take about 30-60 Mk.I naquadah reactors to power milky way-peagasus connection for enough to send things through but not exceed the 38 minute time limit.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    A lot. A whole lot of ZPMs in synchrony. It took an entire planet filled with the most unstable element/isotope going critical and practically unleashing all the power it had available.
    While watching Air i had the distinct impression that the critical/explosion status of the core was caused by shots of the Hataks on orbit, combined with the dialing procedures.
    Last edited by Steelbox; February 8th, 2010 at 03:22 AM.
    http://email.faxem.com.au/download/files/01445/1279070/iStock_000010944279Small_Header.jpg
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Quote Originally Posted by mirdin1992 View Post
    YESSSSSSSSS!

A ZPM could dial the Destiny again and again and again and ag..... again.

I once calculated that it would take about 30-60 Mk.I naquadah reactors to power milky way-peagasus connection for enough to send things through but not exceed the 38 minute time limit.
    If they were able to dial Destiny with a single ZPM, then they would have done it. They are faaar past the Pegasus galaxy.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelbox View Post
    While watching Air i had the distinct understanding that the critical status of the core was caused by shots of the Hataks on orbit, combined with the dialing procedures.
    Yet it was the only time that they successfully dialed Destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    Yet it was the only time that they successfully dialed Destiny.
    I agree that the core going critical would release more energy. But would it be necessary to go critical? No. There where two trips programed, one to ascertain viability and gather data and another one to send a team. The Eli power rate x power extraction algoritm/equation was used so an exact quantity of energy was extracted without the core exploding.
    Now do we know how many energy is needed to be extracted from naquadria to explode/ go critical? How many was necessary to dial Destiny. For all we know it is possible that 1 or a couple ZPM would do the job however taxing for them.

Chief Master Sergeant

Bottom line is, we don't know the yield of Naquadah at all (besides the vague line from the original film where Ra says that just the small amount of Naquadah he added to the bomb, which looked to be about a kilo to me, would increase the yield a hundred times), and the only way we can try to calculate the power of a ZPM is that old ZP-energy-from-a-teacup-of-space-would-boil-all-oceans-on-Earth analogy, stated by either Feynman or Planck, I don't remember which.

The power of a ZPM is impressive, but another question is, can it be released over a short enough period to power the connection? We know a ZPM can be overloaded, so likely there is a limit on the rate energy is drawn from it. We only know that the ZPM has a final capacity, as it works much the same way as a battery (non-rechargeable). But you also can't extract all the energy stored in a 1,5V-battery at once, it will only give you those 1,5 Volts, and if you want too great a current from it, it'll likely just pop and spill out, or short-circuit. Happens often enough.

So, really, I cannot say if a single ZPM can be used to dial Destiny. I'm of the opinion it cannot under normal circumstances. If, however, one built a capacitor that can deplete a ZPM on charging itself and then release all the energy at once, it could be possible. Problem is, even if the Ancients knew how to build such a thing, we most likely do not.

MT's per gramme for Naquahdah. a solid naquahdah core would yield about 10^38 joules of energy. naquahdriah is several orders of magnitude more powerful.

the core might not be entirely solid, but even at 1% naquahdah it still is an impressive 10^36 joules. ZPM's are somewhere in the 10^35 area.

i think that there are two possibilities:

1: yes, a ZPM can dial destiny. it depletes really fast though, and is nearly depleted within a minute.

2: NO, at least two are needed, if not a whole battery of ZPM's.

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelbox View Post
    What do you think? Would us manage to dial the destiny using only one ZPM? If not how many do you think it would be necessary to.
    no clue we don't know the exact power requirements to dial the ninth chevron

Lieutenant Colonel Jedi_Master_Bra'tac's Avatar
    AU where Extinction and Revolution were released

If they could they wouldn't have needed the icarus planet. They have ZPMs.

on topic!
    IMO No

IDK...but it would be fun to find out...

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
    If they could they wouldn't have needed the icarus planet. They have ZPMs.
    In short supply only thought.

The Odyssesy using its ZPM was able to power the Supergate and go to the Ori galaxy, however it depends how power consumtion increases with distance as opposed to the size of the wormhole...I would think dialing a Supergate to a very distant galaxy would be just as taxing as dialling the Destiny but it would appear a ZPM is not enough...

The Core of Icarus was made of Naquadriah, an asteroid 140km wide with a core of Naquadah would become a mini nova when detonated so a planet core made of something even more explosive would be super nova level at least.
    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Buba uognarf View Post
    The Odyssesy using its ZPM was able to power the Supergate and go to the Ori galaxy, however it depends how power consumtion increases with distance as opposed to the size of the wormhole...I would think dialing a Supergate to a very distant galaxy would be just as taxing as dialling the Destiny but it would appear a ZPM is not enough....
    Wasn't the supergate powered by a mini black hole?

Quote Originally Posted by tinerin View Post
    Wasn't the supergate powered by a mini black hole?
    If I remember correctly, it was.

Probie

no way one zpm could power up the gate for that. your forgetting, it took a heavily ionised planets' core to produce the amount of energy to power the gate, and even then the planet essentially ceased to exist because of the power consumption. besides the only 2 people who kno the adress are rush and eli, and rush is, for all intense and purposes, out of the picture for now. so i cant see anyone dialing destiny what so ever. what i want to kno is, why the goauld where attacking them to begin with, i sense a plot line there somewhere. hmm

you realise what happened when we found Atlantis. advanced tech, ZPM's, ridiculously powerful city. obviously the LA wants some of that stuff too

Second Lieutenant

On the black hole powering the supergate.

You guys realize that a ZPM(solar system busting one) has the equivalent of dozen or so Earth mass planets stored into them. A single planet mass singularity is not much compared to that.