Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a single ZPM be able to dial Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The device your talking about is essentially the Arcturus reactor but dumps all the particles created by it that violate physics into another universe. It was stated to have the power of dozens of ZPMs and at a 50% power it overloaded(lost containment of particles, I think) it destroyed 5/6 of a solar system.(this may include the sun). Also the 5/6 solar system can be interpreted many ways. It caused extinction level event on a solar system scale. Vaporize 5/6 of the solar system. Or(my opinion) could destroy the Daedalus at 5/6 of the solar system.

Also the solar system can be interpreted as ending at the ort cloud which is 50.000AU(AU distance sun->earth) or ~ one light-year.

Comment

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
      The device your talking about is essentially the Arcturus reactor but dumps all the particles created by it that violate physics into another universe. It was stated to have the power of dozens of ZPMs and at a 50% power it overloaded(lost containment of particles, I think) it destroyed 5/6 of a solar system.(this may include the sun). Also the 5/6 solar system can be interpreted many ways. It caused extinction level event on a solar system scale. Vaporize 5/6 of the solar system. Or(my opinion) could destroy the Daedalus at 5/6 of the solar system.

Also the solar system can be interpreted as ending at the ort cloud which is 50.000AU(AU distance sun->earth) or ~ one light-year.
      then powerful enough for the Destiny ?
      Note : Was it the same than the one used in Daedalus variations? able to power an alternate dimension drive?
      La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
      L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
        then powerful enough for the Destiny ?
        Definitely. It blew up the solar system at 50% power. Can supply the same power as 25 ZPM at 100%(here). Meas that a ZPM could destroy~7% of the solar system alone. So yes..... Both the Arcturus device and ZPM can supply the power for dialing the destiny

Note : Was it the same than the one used in Daedalus variations? able to power an alternate dimension drive?
        No. People confuse the subspace 'tap' that it used to fill a capacitor to the necessary charge to power a alternate universe jump with a ZPM which gets its power from zero point energy (read here) it would be explained better.

Comment

but with the subspace tap you could fill a capacitor over time until you reach ZPM or Arcturus level of energy then open a gate to Destiny.
          La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
          L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

yah...you could. If you had a lot a time.... years maybe to fill the capacitor for just a single shot.

Also the sun idea the people on SGU came up with is stupid and shouldn't have enough power to dial the gate if it requires planet busting power.

Read here and here.

The thing is to bust a planet like earth, they would need to store all the energy of the sun generates in a couple of weeks and the red dwarf has lot less power output than the big ball of nuclear reaction that we have over our heads.

Comment

yah...you could. If you had a lot a time.... years maybe to fill the capacitor for just a single shot.

Also the sun idea the people on SGU came up with is stupid and shouldn't have enough power to dial the gate if it requires planet busting power.

Read here and here.

The thing is to bust a planet like earth, they would need to store all the energy of the sun generates in a couple of weeks and the red dwarf has lot less power output than the big ball of nuclear reaction that we have over our heads.
              Actually the idea was not stupid, if you consider that Destiny doesn't suck up whatever energy she's hit with from the fusion taking place in the photosphere, but literally sucks up HUGE amounts of fusion fuel, which can be fused later on at a rate which remains undefined. This way you don't have a stupid contradiction with a ship that could only hope to gather very limited amounts of power (all relative) by flying close to a sun. Notice, by the way, that although it's artistic liberty we're dealing with, you didn't see the area around the Destiny go black, like it would happen if the ship had been draining the energy of every single particle in that region.
              The dive Destiny takes imho is the moment when, after having deployed the ramming scoops, she draws massive amounts of hydrogen, which she hypercompresses in fuel tanks for later use.

Hell, who knows. Perhaps the fusion fuel is only used to kickstart and maintain a much more complex reaction that is even more powerful? Perhaps a micro-singularity where matter is annihilated.
              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                Perhaps a micro-singularity where matter is annihilated.
                You cannot annihilate matter without anti-matter, so that wont' work. If it runs on hydrogen, fusion is all you are going to get.
                MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Mr.O-

It would need several OOM more hydrogen than the actual ships mass. IF it doesn't have a hammerspace it doesn't have the capability to store enough hydrogen.

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                  You cannot annihilate matter without anti-matter, so that wont' work. If it runs on hydrogen, fusion is all you are going to get.
                  Can you please enlighten me on what the asgard transporter do, please? (not that I'm saying your wrong or anything)

Comment

Can you please enlighten me on what the asgard transporter do, please? (not that I'm saying your wrong or anything)
                    If I knew I'd build one. But there isn't anything that strictly prevents matter from ceasing to be over here, and instead start existing over there. In fact, this actually happens to elementary particles, and is responsible for many processes in chemistry. There can even be a brief delay where matter doesn't exist anywhere. Uncertainty principle allows for all that. But matter with rest mass cannot arbitrarily become energy with no rest mass. You need a matter-antimatter reaction for that. Since Asgard beam doesn't permanently turn you into energy, there is no strict violation. But as far as actual mechanism, I don't know. I speculated elsewhere that Asgard are masters of gravitational manipulation. It would explain many aspects of their tech. Controlled tunneling under gravitational barrier might work for the transport system, but I don't know why the beam and the lights, and how it manages to work over such large distances through walls and other obstacles, and gets you across without killing you in the process.

To give you another reference point, I have a better idea on how to build a working Stargate than anything resembling Asgard beam. And the ring transport I can practically give you schematics for.
                    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
                      but with the subspace tap you could fill a capacitor over time until you reach ZPM or Arcturus level of energy then open a gate to Destiny.
                      He's got a point. Sounds doable.

Comment

sure, if they had the code to access it, didn't the planet's ring have a code?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                          Unless the system feeds on supraluminal particles. ^_^
                          But it could also rely on a rotating singularity that destroys neutrino pairs or annihilate dark matter, which there's plenty to pick in space I believe.

Mr.O-

It would need several OOM more hydrogen than the actual ships mass. IF it doesn't have a hammerspace it doesn't have the capability to store enough hydrogen.
                          To do what exactly?
                          I'm not sure to get what you mean. Are you talking about the issues of creating a small singularity?

If not, then on a related topic, even a 50% efficient reaction of hydrogen fusion would provide more than 320 e12 J per kilo. There's more than enough hypothetical room inside Destiny to store up to tens if not a few hundred thousand tonnes of hydrogen fuel. If it's compressed (like we managed to compress fusion fuel by direct energy to crank density by a factor of a million or so recently, even if for a short time), the only issue would be not to end with a total fuel mass figure that would come one order of magnitude close to that of the ship's mass, otherwise it would look silly.
                          Still, Ancients had the capacity to fiddle with effective mass, even on puddle jumpers, and those ships existed even before Atlantis left Earth millions of years ago.
                          I'm also skimming over the technobabble mechanism used to force hydrogen into the ramming scoops Destiny deploys, or the filter the ship would use to harvest hydrogen that's not reacted yet.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I'm referring to that the Destiny does not have enough space to store the needed energy in the form of hydrogen on the ship to destroy a planet. Metallic hydrogen density or no.
                            Last edited by mirdin1992; 08 March 2010, 02:19 AM.

Comment

I think a full ZPM could dial Destiny if you could somehow drain it all at once. Remember 1 ZPM held back an ocean of water for 3,333 years on Atlantis. Like someone said before. If they could build a capacitor that could drain a ZPM and allow the Stargate to use it all at once I think a connection could be possible.

Comment

To add my to cents, I don't think a ZPM will do it. (Otherwise, they would have found one and used it by now.) I think it simply doesn't have enough power. But to give this thread a twist, why do we have to make the power source bigger ?....

When we can make the Gate smaller. We still have that Gate that Orlin build in Carter's basement right ? And 'The Pegasus Project' proves that you can connect a small Gate to a bigger Gate. All we have to get it working again and add two dailing crystals. Due to the smaller diameter of the Gate, the power demands should be smaller as well, and then a ZPM can do the job.
                                sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Working...
                                X