Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a single ZPM be able to dial Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deltaCain054 View Post
    No, the ZPMs stolen from the Asurans were just like the ones designed by the Ancients, and would be just as powerful.
    No, they are crappy like the Auroras they build which the producers say are really inferior to ancient built ones.

Comment

While the Asuran ZPMs might be inferior, it wouldn't be by much. They are based on Ancient design, and therefore use the same technology (ie: a contained pocket of subspace).Its not like there's hundreds of ways to build ZPMs.
      Why are there six pedals and only four directions?
      -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.
      Walter - Spin? Si-sir, it doesn't spin.
      What? It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I-I'm the general, I want it to spin. Now!

Comment

Chances are it just isn't possible, for whatever reason, given that Earth had a ZPM in the time it also had the Destiny address and couldn't make the connection.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Their zpms worked well enough to fly an entire city 90% of the way to earth, power an untested propulsion, go thru a long fight with a superior vessel, and then survive a reentry and still have enough power to cloak a city.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
            Their zpms worked well enough to fly an entire city 90% of the way to earth, power an untested propulsion, go thru a long fight with a superior vessel, and then survive a reentry and still have enough power to cloak a city.
            Yeah and the only reason the hyper drive failed was due to mechanical problems.
            -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.
            What? It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I-I'm the general, I want it to spin. Now!

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
              And take it from the rear from the Superhive that has 1 ZPM

Also you can hear the crew shouting X%...Y%...Z%... of the shield power. As we know that the shield is up as long as the ZPM has power, we can deduct that the percents were the ZPM charge. IMO it was dropping pretty fast.

Anyway EatG is non-canon and should be decanofied in all but that Atlantis got ZPMs, intercepted the superhive, kicked it six ways to sunday and landed in San Francisco bay with a view of the Golden Gate bridge and nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post

Also you can hear the crew shouting X%...Y%...Z%... of the shield power. As we know that the shield is up as long as the ZPM has power, we can deduct that the percents were the ZPM charge. IMO it was dropping pretty fast.

Anyway EatG is non-canon and should be decanofied in all but that Atlantis got ZPMs, intercepted the superhive, kicked it six ways to sunday and landed in San Francisco bay with a view of the Golden Gate bridge and nothing else.
                Unfortunately, it is canon. Unless you can prove to me that it isn't.
                If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post

What are you talking about? What about EatG is not canon?
                  -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.

Comment

You know i have been reading all these posts you guys have posted. And it seems to me that you all keep on going back and forth. No a ZPM would not be able to dial destiny. The ZPM would be depleted too fast. Now however if the Destiny had enough power in store to maintain that connection than maybe. because the stargate would only have to be opened for a couple of seconds. I cant exsactly remember the epsiode that stated that fact but i am sure someone will remember it. I think it was Dr. Mckay explaining that.

If the Destiny did have the power to maintain the connection then the ZPM could be depleted and the stargate would have stayed open.

Comment

One, I don't remember them saying how many ZPMs were on board the wraith hive, though it was indicated that there was only one.. Two, the weapons were by far more powerful than normal, capable of taking down a 304s shield a couple of shots. Remember wraith weapons are specifically designed to take down shields. Third, there's no way to tell how much power was drained by the worm-hole drive. Once again ZPMs can't just be manufactured a hundred different ways. They operate on the same principle of extracting power from a contained pocked of sub-space. IF they different from the Ancient ones it would be unlikely that they would be compatible with Ancient technology without modification. While the Asuran battle cruisers would have definitely been inferior due to the fact that the Ancients would not grant a possibly hostile force access to top of the line military technology, the ZPMs wouldn't. ZPMs had been around for a long time, and while still very valuable, its not something that the Asurans wouldn't have access to.
                      -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.

Comment

deltaCain even if the asuran and the ancient work on the same principle does not mean that they have to be at the same power capacity. Example two different batteries and one can power my remote 3 times as long as the other.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...1#post10897459 (this thread and Mr.O in special has done extensive calculation on this. The ZPM energy figures are more than enough to blow several planets.)

Comment

My point was that the Asurans would definitely had access to the Ancient ZPMs, and therefore should have found out how to build them. Why would they build and inferior model when they have access to a better one?
                          -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.

Comment

Crappy reverse engineering. Code that makes them incapable to exactly match their creator tech. That is besides the point. All that matters is that TPTB said that their tech is cheap chinese knockoffs of their creators. It may look the same but one will fall apart as you open the box

Comment

After they made learned how to rewrite there code, and took Atlantis ( which had the Ancient ZPM from the Tria) they would have definitely been able to reproduce it exactly. And they would have. They are replicators. Thats what they are good at. What i think is that the writers simply didn't think of this or just completely ignored this fact.
                              -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.

Comment

Originally posted by deltaCain054 View Post
                                After they made learned how to rewrite there code, and took Atlantis ( which had the Ancient ZPM from the Tria) they would have definitely been able to reproduce it exactly. And they would have. They are replicators. Thats what they are good at. What i think is that the writers simply didn't think of this or just completely ignored this fact.
                                It was just that they realized that there was no realistic way to show our confrontation against the Asurans if they were exactly like the Lantians without being weak to the Wraith sucking-power and biotech (they are not carbon-based).

For the same reasons, we never really fight against the Oris but only their Priors and followers. Even Adria was tuned down to avoid having her mop the floor with SG1.

Back to the topic, what about the power device made by McKay and his sister. It would probably wipe out dozens of universe before connecting to Destiny. It seemed to me that it was able to power Atlantis as easily as the 3 ZPMs. Could someone check for me?
                                La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                                L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Working...
                                X