Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Second Lieutenant Control_Chair's Avatar

Default Re: Would a single ZPM be able to dial Destiny?

Quote Originally Posted by deltaCain054 View Post
    I just thought of something. Remember the device that Anubis used as a gate buster. Is it possible that its original intended use was for supplying enough power to a gate to dial Destiny?
    Wouldn't it have had to have been located on Earth to dial the Destiny, Earth Point of Origin and all?

Besides I don’t believe that device was originally designed to blow up Stargates, Why would the Ancients want to blow up one of their own gates, it doesn’t make sense. More likely Anubis learned of its location when he Ascended and also learnt how to modify it from its original function (possibly as some kind of power generator or power transfer device?) to channel energy into the wormhole until the receiving gate overloads.
    "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
    "That he is concealing something."
    "Like what?"
    "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
    "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
    "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
    "I liked that movie!"

Chief Master Sergeant deltaCain054's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Control_Chair View Post
    Wouldn't it have had to have been located on Earth to dial the Destiny, Earth Point of Origin and all?

Besides I don’t believe that device was originally designed to blow up Stargates, Why would the Ancients want to blow up one of their own gates, it doesn’t make sense. More likely Anubis learned of its location when he Ascended and also learnt how to modify it from its original function (possibly as some kind of power generator or power transfer device?) to channel energy into the wormhole until the receiving gate overloads.
    No you don't have to be on Earth to Dial destiny.

And that was kind of my point. I think the devices original intent was to power a gate to allow travel to Destiny. It is capable of creating that much power, and would have taken less power to dial Destiny when the Ancients were still around.

Recording to Stargate Atlantis Final Episode Yes And with the use of 3 Atlantis coud jump next to Destiny

Quote Originally Posted by Jhary View Post
    Recording to Stargate Atlantis Final Episode Yes And with the use of 3 Atlantis coud jump next to Destiny
    So many things were wrong with EatG that you can't possibly use that as a reference, not without other stuff backing it up.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

With the wormhole drive I think distance would still be a factor as far as power is concerned, so no you would still need more than 3 ZPMs.

In any case, what do you guys think about the gatebuster being designed to dial destiny? yea or nay?

Nay. A ZPM can blow up a whole solar system and it's still not enough. A gatebuster is much weaker.
    Carter:"The singularity is about to explode!"

I was talking about the device Anubis used to destroy the Earth gate. It is capable of supplying enough power to overload a gate.

Right. Sorry.

Just FYI, the "gatebuster" name is already taken, it's a Mark IX is a naquadria enhanced nuclear bomb. It was used to try and destroy the gate on the planet the Ori collapsed into a black hole to power a supergate. The gatebuter was used again to blow up the gate that was keeping another supergate open. Several were also used against the Asurans.

You meant this:

^^
    Yeah, I guess it could dial Destiny, though we don't actually know its original intended purpose. Too bad it was destroyed...

My guess is NO since it took a planet of naquadria blowing up to dial destiny the one time it was done. Maybe if you daisy chained several zpm's for the power but ud still need a gate whos capacitors wouldnt blow up with that much power in them, and some kinda wiring that wouldnt melt/explode with that much power running through them.

I kinda think even the asgard and wraith would struggle with that one...

Yeah i knew gate buster was taken, but i couldn't think of a proper name.

As for needing "a planet of naquadria blowing up to dial destiny", it wasn't necessary to dial Destiny. Icarus exploded as a result of the orbital bombardment. The naquadria core was required to power a gate as far as it could be powered with out destroying it and keep a constant power supply. This could have been achieved without the core exploding. I was talking about the device being used back when the Ancients were around. It would no longer be able to supply the constant amount of power to keep the wormhole active because Destiny is so far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelbox View Post
    What do you think? Would us manage to dial the destiny using only one ZPM?
    Maybe a fully charged one, but those are (so far) non-existent. The short answer is no or we would have already done so without the use of project Icarus.

____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfire32 View Post
    Maybe a fully charged one, but those are (so far) non-existent. The short answer is no or we would have already done so without the use of project Icarus.
    We've encountered a couple of fully powered ZPMs. The ones Todd gave, the one from the brought by the Asurans during the Return, the one from the Quindosium.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    We've encountered a couple of fully powered ZPMs. The ones Todd gave, the one from the brought by the Asurans during the Return, the one from the Quindosium.
    Right, I completely forgot about those. However, (now that I have a bit of a memory jog lol) if I recall correctly, the ones Todd gave were the only ones we were able to actually use (wormhole drive), the ones brought back by the Ancients were depleted (or close) by the time we could use them, and I don't remember the Quindosium at all......episode reference please.

Once again, I reserve the right to be completely wrong, as my memory is a little fuzzy.

____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfire32 View Post
    Right, I completely forgot about those. However, (now that I have a bit of a memory jog lol) if I recall correctly, the ones Todd gave were the only ones we were able to actually use (wormhole drive), the ones brought back by the Ancients were depleted (or close) by the time we could use them, and I don't remember the Quindosium at all......episode reference please.

Once again, I reserve the right to be completely wrong, as my memory is a little fuzzy.

The Quindosium were also known as the Brotherhood of the 15. "The Brotherhood" Atlantis episode 16

The Ancient's ZPM we never had access to, but the Asuran ZPMs were at least very near full and were spread between the Odyssey, Atlantis and the Ancient weapons platform.
    Why are there six pedals and only four directions?
    -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.
    Walter - Spin? Si-sir, it doesn't spin.
    What? It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I-I'm the general, I want it to spin. Now!

Second Lieutenant

I do not think it is energy, I think they need a specially designed gate, like the one on the Icarus planet. If they had an adequate gate, they could dial Destiny with a ZPM. Then again, it would be a one way trip, so I cannot see that many people volunteering.

Assuming the Icarus gate survived the explosion, I think they will find that one eventually, and get it set up again.

Quote Originally Posted by kwlafayette View Post
    I do not think it is energy, I think they need a specially designed gate, like the one on the Icarus planet. If they had an adequate gate, they could dial Destiny with a ZPM. Then again, it would be a one way trip, so I cannot see that many people volunteering.

Assuming the Icarus gate survived the explosion, I think they will find that one eventually, and get it set up again.

No it definitely didn't survive the explosion, and no any gate can dial Destiny. You simply need an adequate power source, possibly a specially designed control crystal for the DHD, but those can be made. The power generated by the Icarus planet was high enough to make gate explode in just a few minutes if the power wasn't cut, which is a very large amount of power. I'm not sure how that relates to a ZPM, but that's still a lot of power.

If Destiny could constantly receive stuff from Earth, I would go. The only thing I would miss would be Xbox live, but I'm sure you could make a game network there.
    -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.
    What? It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I-I'm the general, I want it to spin. Now!

Second Lieutenant

Also, I think ZPMs are pretty much reserved for earth defense. So they would not use one in such a manner anyway.

I'm not sure how that relates to a ZPM, but that's still a lot of power.
    according to my calculations it makes a ZPM look like crap. Icarus exploding will be noticed as a supernova in 21 years on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    according to my calculations it makes a ZPM look like crap. Icarus exploding will be noticed as a supernova in 21 years on earth.
    Couldn't have said it better.
    You know, given the power source they had there, you think they would have installed some sort of shield generators.
    -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaCain054 View Post
    Couldn't have said it better.
    You know, given the power source they had there, you think they would have installed some sort of shield generators.
    I don't think we have the capability yet to place a shield over a whole planet. Even if we had the energy we don't have the tech to use it.

Hmm, does anyone know what happened to Arthur's Mantle ?