Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Would a single ZPM be able to dial Destiny?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    *snip*
    1. The naquadriah detonation was in the range of 2.9 x 10^32 J. This was the explosion of all the naquadriah in the core. The gate was not that great a power drain to come close to deplete the planets energy supply.

2. a) ZPM(type I) Can destroy the planet in the same manner as the naquadriah core detonation. While on the surface of the planet => ZPM>2.9 x 10^32 J. Supported by SGA Arturus episode and the ZPM powered Daedalus taking exaton directed coronal mass ejection from the star.

2. b) ZPM(type II) Can bust solar system at 50% charge so fully charged ZPM~2.4×10^44 J. This could dial the Destiny millions of times even if the gate would need planet busting power every time.

3. ZPM will have enough power as the plot demands or is conveniently unavailable.

Also for those who think the ZPM can't supply the power at the needed rate. McKay&Mr.Miller has drained the ZPM at 2% per second. This was not hinted to be a maximum.

Take them apples.

References for the numbers please. I provided a source for everything I said. Otherwise it would be meaningless.

You didn't prove that any of my points were inaccurate:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    [...]
    Correct. In Daniel's training video it is stated that the the "purpose of the project [Icarus] was to one day dial the nine chevron address found in the Ancient database". This proves that the single or multiple ZPMs Atlantis obtained over the years was not sufficient or they would have used them.
    [...]
    Furthermore it was stated *on the show* that they might not get another chance, implying that the other chance would be an identical planet.
    RUSH: Eli, Eli. I need your help.

WALLACE: With what?

RUSH: The ninth chevron.

WALLACE: What?! We need to get the hell out of here!

RUSH: Look, it took us two years to find this site. The properties are unique. This may be our last chance.
    You argument is invalid. The writers of the show say it is.

Say we carry on...

The planet explosion was not the whole story. The blast should be MUCH larger if all the naquadria is used:

In Fail Safe a 137 kilometers asteroid with just a naquadah core can create a nova size explosion:
    Sam Carter: The asteroid has an irregular shape, but we've calculated its length from end to end to be approximately 137 kilometers.
    Jack O'Neill: I've seen this movie. It hits Paris.
    Dr. Daniel Jackson: Of course it does.
    Sam Carter: [explaining the contents of the asteroid and how the bomb will affect it] The explosion will be enhanced by the naquadah, probably to the force of a small nova. This close to Earth, it would be enough to set the atmosphere on fire and boil the oceans.
    Jack O'Neill: Okay, this was not in the movie.
    Source for the quotes

The Icarus planet has a pure naquadriah core - 1) the material type should output a LOT more energy, 2) a planet core is much larger. Say 2880 to 6370 km, assuming the Icarus planet was the size of Earth - no difference in gravity was stated. The real explosion would be a lot larger than just the destruction of the planet, even more than a complete solar system destruction.

Icarus type planet > ZPM.

You're absolutely right on the point of how fast a ZPM can be depleted. The issue is that it wouldn't keep the wormhole open for a practical amount of time to get anyone through.

/Actually yeah, a ZPM could dial the Destiny, but only that. "Chevron Nine is locked. [the lights go out] The ZPM has been depleted"

The core was overloading and wouldn't shut down when they dialed destiny. And they had the address for years just didn't have the power to dial it, remembering there's been a ZPM on earth since season 3 of Atlantis, some 3-4 years ago. It was worth a billion dollar base to dial destiny but not to risk an irreplacable ZPM. So I assume it either wasnt enough, or wasnt worth the risk.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by kymeric View Post
    The core was overloading and wouldn't shut down when they dialed destiny. And they had the address for years just didn't have the power to dial it, remembering there's been a ZPM on earth since season 3 of Atlantis, some 3-4 years ago. It was worth a billion dollar base to dial destiny but not to risk an irreplacable ZPM. So I assume it either wasnt enough, or wasnt worth the risk.
    Or maybe the crappy knockoffs that the Asurans make and call ZPMs and we are stealing from are like a alkaline battery to a antimatter one only a million times worse.

Chief Master Sergeant deltaCain054's Avatar

No, the ZPMs stolen from the Asurans were just like the ones designed by the Ancients, and would be just as powerful.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by deltaCain054 View Post
    No, the ZPMs stolen from the Asurans were just like the ones designed by the Ancients, and would be just as powerful.
    No, they are crappy like the Auroras they build which the producers say are really inferior to ancient built ones.

While the Asuran ZPMs might be inferior, it wouldn't be by much. They are based on Ancient design, and therefore use the same technology (ie: a contained pocket of subspace).Its not like there's hundreds of ways to build ZPMs.

Chances are it just isn't possible, for whatever reason, given that Earth had a ZPM in the time it also had the Destiny address and couldn't make the connection.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Their zpms worked well enough to fly an entire city 90% of the way to earth, power an untested propulsion, go thru a long fight with a superior vessel, and then survive a reentry and still have enough power to cloak a city.

Their zpms worked well enough to fly an entire city 90% of the way to earth, power an untested propulsion, go thru a long fight with a superior vessel, and then survive a reentry and still have enough power to cloak a city.
    Yeah and the only reason the hyper drive failed was due to mechanical problems.

Second Lieutenant

And take it from the rear from the Superhive that has 1 ZPM

Also you can hear the crew shouting X%...Y%...Z%... of the shield power. As we know that the shield is up as long as the ZPM has power, we can deduct that the percents were the ZPM charge. IMO it was dropping pretty fast.

Anyway EatG is non-canon and should be decanofied in all but that Atlantis got ZPMs, intercepted the superhive, kicked it six ways to sunday and landed in San Francisco bay with a view of the Golden Gate bridge and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by mirdin1992 View Post

Also you can hear the crew shouting X%...Y%...Z%... of the shield power. As we know that the shield is up as long as the ZPM has power, we can deduct that the percents were the ZPM charge. IMO it was dropping pretty fast.

Anyway EatG is non-canon and should be decanofied in all but that Atlantis got ZPMs, intercepted the superhive, kicked it six ways to sunday and landed in San Francisco bay with a view of the Golden Gate bridge and nothing else.
    Unfortunately, it is canon. Unless you can prove to me that it isn't.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Quote Originally Posted by mirdin1992 View Post

What are you talking about? What about EatG is not canon?

You know i have been reading all these posts you guys have posted. And it seems to me that you all keep on going back and forth. No a ZPM would not be able to dial destiny. The ZPM would be depleted too fast. Now however if the Destiny had enough power in store to maintain that connection than maybe. because the stargate would only have to be opened for a couple of seconds. I cant exsactly remember the epsiode that stated that fact but i am sure someone will remember it. I think it was Dr. Mckay explaining that.

If the Destiny did have the power to maintain the connection then the ZPM could be depleted and the stargate would have stayed open.

One, I don't remember them saying how many ZPMs were on board the wraith hive, though it was indicated that there was only one.. Two, the weapons were by far more powerful than normal, capable of taking down a 304s shield a couple of shots. Remember wraith weapons are specifically designed to take down shields. Third, there's no way to tell how much power was drained by the worm-hole drive. Once again ZPMs can't just be manufactured a hundred different ways. They operate on the same principle of extracting power from a contained pocked of sub-space. IF they different from the Ancient ones it would be unlikely that they would be compatible with Ancient technology without modification. While the Asuran battle cruisers would have definitely been inferior due to the fact that the Ancients would not grant a possibly hostile force access to top of the line military technology, the ZPMs wouldn't. ZPMs had been around for a long time, and while still very valuable, its not something that the Asurans wouldn't have access to.

Second Lieutenant

deltaCain even if the asuran and the ancient work on the same principle does not mean that they have to be at the same power capacity. Example two different batteries and one can power my remote 3 times as long as the other.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...1#post10897459 (this thread and Mr.O in special has done extensive calculation on this. The ZPM energy figures are more than enough to blow several planets.)

My point was that the Asurans would definitely had access to the Ancient ZPMs, and therefore should have found out how to build them. Why would they build and inferior model when they have access to a better one?

Second Lieutenant

Crappy reverse engineering. Code that makes them incapable to exactly match their creator tech. That is besides the point. All that matters is that TPTB said that their tech is cheap chinese knockoffs of their creators. It may look the same but one will fall apart as you open the box

After they made learned how to rewrite there code, and took Atlantis ( which had the Ancient ZPM from the Tria) they would have definitely been able to reproduce it exactly. And they would have. They are replicators. Thats what they are good at. What i think is that the writers simply didn't think of this or just completely ignored this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaCain054 View Post
    After they made learned how to rewrite there code, and took Atlantis ( which had the Ancient ZPM from the Tria) they would have definitely been able to reproduce it exactly. And they would have. They are replicators. Thats what they are good at. What i think is that the writers simply didn't think of this or just completely ignored this fact.
    It was just that they realized that there was no realistic way to show our confrontation against the Asurans if they were exactly like the Lantians without being weak to the Wraith sucking-power and biotech (they are not carbon-based).

For the same reasons, we never really fight against the Oris but only their Priors and followers. Even Adria was tuned down to avoid having her mop the floor with SG1.

Back to the topic, what about the power device made by McKay and his sister. It would probably wipe out dozens of universe before connecting to Destiny. It seemed to me that it was able to power Atlantis as easily as the 3 ZPMs. Could someone check for me?
    La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
    L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...erth2o/339.jpg