This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some Time Travel help..........

Would any of the following scenarios in any way create a paradox?

a)
    Would travelling back in time and switching places with my younger self
    in the past create a paradox?

b)
    Also would I have to go bare bones? I couldn't say bring my Ipod with me
    for music or a laptop could I?

By terms of younger self I am thinking of something like 1987 when I was

There is a reason for this my long dormant story that I posted part of on here a while back. I wanted to know if using time travel would be a good idea or not......The above is the sort of scenarios I am thinking of... But if you guys can help me out and answer the question for me it might help me make up my mind whether to use that road or not..
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
    a)
    Yes. Your 20 year old self would be replaced by your 40 year old self which, besides looking funny to anyone who knows you, creates the problem of your original timeline self not going through the experiences necessary to put your 40 year old self in a position to go back in the first place.

b)
    I suppose you could, but 1) you run serious risk of contaminating the timeline; and 2) you'd have no recourse for recharge/repair if it broke down.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Would any of the following scenarios in any way create a paradox?

a)

b)

By terms of younger self I am thinking of something like 1987 when I was

There is a reason for this my long dormant story that I posted part of on here a while back. I wanted to know if using time travel would be a good idea or not......The above is the sort of scenarios I am thinking of... But if you guys can help me out and answer the question for me it might help me make up my mind whether to use that road or not..
      The thing with time travel theories is that's just what they are.... theories.....even the best minds in the land don't always agree. So you can do what you want really....but be consistent.
      I would agree with the poster above though, it does create a paradox if you switch yourself with a younger you. You could overcome that by switching your older conciousness with your younger self to overcome that though.

I've never seen a reason why you can't physically take any current tech with you but you would have to decide whether your character knows of the risks of changing his future or creating alternate realities....you know... all the usual stuff..

Have fun.
      sigpic

Comment

The main two theories posit that your existing timeline would either be rewritten (destroyed) or would carry on without you as you'd create an alternate timeline, so no, neither would create a paradox.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
          The main two theories posit that your existing timeline would either be rewritten (destroyed) or would carry on without you as you'd create an alternate timeline, so no, neither would create a paradox.

Ah, OK. It's just that I was wondering about the first idea I had. I wanted my older self to somehow trade places with my younger self and they continue living in the present and albeit they would have a longer life albeit they would have to lie about their age. Of course with the older self back in the past that would create its own branching timeline. Older self would also have to be careful not to blab too much about world events and stuff. But hey it's fiction so I think a lot of fun coudl be had with this if I use this idea.
          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X