No announcement yet.

My Bloody Valentine (514)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I'm going to try again to do this after only one viewing...and five days ago at that! (think I mentioned this, but on the 28th, I'll be travelling by myself for more than 12 hours. So, I am trying not to watch ANY Supernatural besides the new one each week before then so that I can enjoy them all again while I am on planes and waiting in airports! )

The violence. I liked it, and I'll tell you why : When I watched the first episode of Supernatural, I got totally freaked out. I don't handle gore, or things jumping out at you, or satanic references well. Then a funny thing happened. By the time I got to the third disc, I realised I wasn't scared any more and was seldom grossed out (Sam's fingernail getting ripped out is still unwatchable, though! ). I was starting to think all those moms-against-violence groups were right, I had become completely deadened to the violence. That's so scary to think of! What kind of person doesn't squirm at people being killed and tortured?

Well after this episode, I realised I still have a soul; the death scenes is this one COMPLETELY disgusted me!! I actually felt nauseous a one point and several times had to turn away!! Blech!!! So well done, guys. Now please don't do it again! *shudder*

Moving on...

This is what I was talking about with the "Then" segments. Good to remind you of things, but I had avoided even the synopsis on this episode, so I had no idea it was going to involve a Horseman. Thanks a lot for giving that away!

I liked Cupid. I thought he was so funny. And Sam's, Dean's, and Castiel's reactions off of his antics had me laughing out loud. And just the right amount of screentime for him. You couldn't have an whole episode with him, I think it would get obnoxious. Liked the mislead about thinking it was him behind the deaths, too.

Yeah, I pretty much recognise all the Vancouver actors by name now (since they are in EVERY single show that has ever filmed there!), so I knew when I saw the name Jay Brazeau to watch for Harlan from SG-1's Tin Man and SGA's ruler from The Tower. I thought he was one of the best coroners they ever had. What a shame they had to kill him, but I suppose they don't really use coroners as recurring characters on this show anyway.

What a wonderful way to bring back in Sam's blood addiction. To have him actually drink blood (not just be tempted) AND use his powers without it being his fault? And I loved the change in Dean that came with this twist. The look of panic on Dean's face when he wanted Cas to get Sam out of town? And then when Sam came in with the blood on his chin, when he used his powers (which were so awesome here in their strength), and at the end at Bobby's? I didn't see blame and disgust there this time. I saw horror at how powerful Sam was and this awful sadness in Dean's eyes. That is HUGE for Dean to see that, in this case, Sam wasn't to blame. Especially with how tactless Dean has been all season, riding Sam about the blood addiction.

Dean not being affected by Famine. Honestly, I thought his not wanting to go out on Valentine's Day and not being hungry were showing that he WAS being affected. It wasn't until I saw how out of control Cas and Sam were being that I realised he really wasn't. His explanation, not being affected because he keeps himself 'well fed', wasn't really satisfactory to me, but I was willing to let it go because for the story's sake, they needed someone who was still clear-headed. So I was very happy that it turned out that it was more complex than that. I see from the post that some of you didn't like Famine's explanation. But for myself, I saw Famine's explanation as maybe not perfect, but plausible.

I mentioned in the last episode, how impressive it was that, with everyone telling them they can't cheat destiny, Dean is still trying. And I still believe that. But if you look at how he says it, I can see Famine's point. Dean doesn't state his point with huge speeches and dramatic proclamations. When he says they need to keep fighting, he says it with more...resignation? weary acceptance?...than anything. He will fight to his last breath simply because he believes it's the right thing to do and that's what he does. And when he starts to get worried, upset, passionate, he drinks himself into an apathetic stupor. So, yeah, there IS emotion there, but he is trying his best to rid himself of it, which would make him dead inside.

Ok, "You're dead inside" might not be consistent with every action and statement Dean's made over the past couple years, but I think it is an acceptable explanation...and definitely better than Dean's beliefs over why he was immune!

I REALLY like that they had to 'dry' Sam out again. It was good to see the continuity of using Bobby's panic room again and I know that some of you, like me, weren't happy with the "Supernatural methadone" giving him a free pass on the 12-step program last time. Here, he had to do it the hard way.

Amazing ending. That Dean would actually call on God for help? He did it last year in MATEOTB, but since then, he has had a truck-load of negative experiences concerning God and all the heavenly host. He has a lot more reason to doubt and/or hate God now. I can't think of anything else that would have showed the depths of his despair better than his turning to God for help here.

Can't wait to re-watch THIS one on the plane!! ...minus people eating each other, boiling hands, death by Twinkies.......
    Last edited by Crichiel; 21 February 2010, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X