This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Stargate is the oldest?

In an interview in the newest issue of Stargate magazine Brad Wright says that the Universe Stargate is the oldest one, the first one built, but I thought that the milky way Stargates were the oldest, having been created millions of years ago, while the Universe Stargate was only created a few hundred thousand years ago. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, looked around but couldn't find anything about it.

The Destiny Stargate are millions and millions of years ago
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Destiny being launched a few hundred thousand years ago is either a massive mistake, or the creators put in some sort of time dilation effect into place, so more than 50 million years have passed but time slowed down on the ship. The later I would expect to be clarified at some point in the shows future.

That said, The Universe gates would be the older gates. In 'Ark of Truth' it was said Dakara was the first world the Ancients settled on, so sometime between 65 million years ago and 50 million years ago, the Ancients left their home galaxy (with some basic idea about the Stargate in mind), arrived on Dakara, moved to Earth, launched Destiny for another galaxy and then around the 50 million year mark started upgrading the gates within the Milky Way starting with Earth. Then 3 million years ago did the same thing in Pegasus.

sigpic

Comment

The hundred thousand thing was Rush's guess. Contrary to popular belief even Rush can be wrong sometimes (). It is far older than any of the other gates (it has to be, with how far out it is)
        Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
        ---
        sigpic

Comment

I don't think it really counts as a guess when he's using a computer terminal to read the ships basic data. Plus I think Rush of all people should have a clue about the basic history of the Ancients to know when reading it, that it was wrong.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
            I don't think it really counts as a guess when he's using a computer terminal to read the ships basic data. Plus I think Rush of all people should have a clue about the basic history of the Ancients to know when reading it, that it was wrong.
            Rush was at an observation deck not a computer when he said thousand of years old
            Jelgate is right

Comment

I thought he was looking at the same screen that showed the path of Destiny. Was sure someone interacted with a terminal

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                I thought he was looking at the same screen that showed the path of Destiny. Was sure someone interacted with a terminal
                THE PRESENT. Scott and Eli are searching for Doctor Rush. They reach a closed bulkhead with a small circular ornate panel in it. Eli shines his flashlight on the panel and sees familiar markings on it.

SCOTT: What?

WALLACE: I've seen this writing before.

SCOTT: In the game?

WALLACE: Yeah!

(He shines his flashlight around and sees a small illuminated panel on the wall by the bulkhead. He presses it and the panel in the bulkhead spins rapidly, then the doors part and reveal Doctor Rush standing at the far end of the room in front of an enormous floor to ceiling window. Outside is a view which shows that they are moving through space. It's not the same vortex as a hyperspace field, but it clearly is space they're travelling through.)

WALLACE: Jeez! We're on a ship?

RUSH (continuing to gaze out of the window): The design is clearly Ancient, in the truest sense of the word –- launched hundreds of thousands of years ago.

SCOTT: Doctor Rush?

RUSH: Faster than light, yet not through hyperspace.

SCOTT: What are you doing?

RUSH: Who knows how far it's travelled?

SCOTT: Doctor Rush, I've got a lot of wounded. We need to get home.
                http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1...ipts/101.shtml
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Well screw that then, Rush is a complete idiot. Gives me an excuse to rewatch some SGU though.

sigpic

Comment

OKay now I'm confused, is the gate of Destiny the oldest one or not?
                    sigpic
                    Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

I think TPTB are clear, Destiny's is oldest. Destiny's gate only capable of dialing 4 addressees at any one time right?

Comment

Originally posted by maylet View Post
                        OKay now I'm confused, is the gate of Destiny the oldest one or not?
                        The Destiny gates are the oldest with Pegasus gate being the newest. MW gates are in the middle
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                          I think TPTB are clear, Destiny's is oldest. Destiny's gate only capable of dialing 4 addressees at any one time right?
                          Isn't that because when they drop out of F.T.L the gate dials the addresses of the planets near by where they are? And only if it could dial 4 addresses at that time, would it be because of the problems they have with the power?
                          sigpic
                          Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

It says in the timeline section of the Stargate omnipedia here on GateWorld that the Destiny was launched several hundred thousand years ago, with the MW Stargates being millions of years old, but I think they are using the quote from Dr Rush as a basis for this claim, also presumably, there would have been a ship that was launched ahead of the Destiny to seed the Stargates in the first place and that would probably have been older. If the Destiny was only launched a few hundred thousand years ago, then maybe they kept the older design so that it would be compatable with the rest of the Gates it would have to conect with?

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                              Exactly, Destiny's and the rest of the Universe gates predate both the Milky Way and Pegasus gates.

BTW, "4" is not not an arbitrary number (at the end of Air II they mentioned that 4 other addresses came up, and if we include the planet it dialed out to (the desert one) that makes 5 reachable gates. The Universe gates have a limited range, being older and apparently having less power. This was answered a few times on J. Mallozi's blog.

Originally posted by angela21 View Post
                              It says in the timeline section of the Stargate omnipedia here on GateWorld that the Destiny was launched several hundred thousand years ago, with the MW Stargates being millions of years old, but I think they are using the quote from Dr Rush as a basis for this claim, also presumably, there would have been a ship that was launched ahead of the Destiny to seed the Stargates in the first place and that would probably have been older. If the Destiny was only launched a few hundred thousand years ago, then maybe they kept the older design so that it would be compatable with the rest of the Gates it would have to conect with?
                              The Milky Way gate from the Icarus base was compatible with Destiny's (Universe class) so that shouldn't be a problem. Similarly - Pegasus and Milky Way gates are interchangeable.
                              Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Working...
                              X