Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Architecture of Caprica City

I can't help ot but the first thing that I noticed was the city of Caprica itself. What kind of stye does it represent. It reminds me of Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" as much as "Blade Runner" also it has IMO a steampunkish quality. There are airships floating around and the Art Deco style. What do you think?

He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
    He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
    And he's wonderful.

Default Re: The Architecture of Caprica City

I thought Blade Runner as well, except not as gloomy . Its very steampunk while having bits of a futuristic look as well. I absolutely love the look.

I'm wondering if those are all from the same city (Caprica City). The first image, the one with Japanese symbols, is very, very different from the others. And after all, there are many cities on the planet Caprica. We only know of Caprica City and Delphi, but the hybrid in the Plan saying "the cities of Caprica are burning" is a pretty obvious reference to many cities.

What kind of stye does it represent.
    Make up your mind. Do you wanna know what style or are you looking for possible influences. It's late but I don't remember that shot from Caprica City. Is it possibly from another city or a promo shot of another city on another planet?

The answer to your actual question I gathered from the title is High-tech architecture, also known as Late Modernism or Structural Expressionism. At least as far as skyline Caprica City. We can also see modern and post-modern. Numerous locations Vancouver, with some digital effects alterations, were used for shots of Caprica throughout BSG. Numerous architectural style appear throughout the Twelve Colonies.

I'm wondering if those are all from the same city (Caprica City). The first image, the one with Japanese symbols, is very, very different from the others. And after all, there are many cities on the planet Caprica. We only know of Caprica City and Delphi, but the hybrid in the Plan saying "the cities of Caprica are burning" is a pretty obvious reference to many cities.
    What Japanese writing? Looks simply like a stylized script to me.

Spoiler:
    We see Little Tauron in episode 2 of Caprica

Quote Originally Posted by aarlin81 View Post
    What Japanese writing? Looks simply like a stylized script to me.
    Agreed....I thought it loosely resembled the alien scripts from Futurama, myself.

That said, there was some sort of Asian script in "Rebirth".
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Yes, red writing on a yellow banner of one of the shops. Don't know if it's a real or stylized script developed for the show.

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

there like us so much and yet so different.

The Pyramid stadium looks like it's based on this structure in Valencia, Spain.