The Architecture of Caprica City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Architecture of Caprica City

I can't help ot but the first thing that I noticed was the city of Caprica itself. What kind of stye does it represent. It reminds me of Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" as much as "Blade Runner" also it has IMO a steampunkish quality. There are airships floating around and the Art Deco style. What do you think?

He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
    He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
    And he's wonderful.

I thought Blade Runner as well, except not as gloomy . Its very steampunk while having bits of a futuristic look as well. I absolutely love the look.

Comment

I'm wondering if those are all from the same city (Caprica City). The first image, the one with Japanese symbols, is very, very different from the others. And after all, there are many cities on the planet Caprica. We only know of Caprica City and Delphi, but the hybrid in the Plan saying "the cities of Caprica are burning" is a pretty obvious reference to many cities.

Comment

What kind of stye does it represent.
        Make up your mind. Do you wanna know what style or are you looking for possible influences. It's late but I don't remember that shot from Caprica City. Is it possibly from another city or a promo shot of another city on another planet?

The answer to your actual question I gathered from the title is High-tech architecture, also known as Late Modernism or Structural Expressionism. At least as far as skyline Caprica City. We can also see modern and post-modern. Numerous locations Vancouver, with some digital effects alterations, were used for shots of Caprica throughout BSG. Numerous architectural style appear throughout the Twelve Colonies.

I'm wondering if those are all from the same city (Caprica City). The first image, the one with Japanese symbols, is very, very different from the others. And after all, there are many cities on the planet Caprica. We only know of Caprica City and Delphi, but the hybrid in the Plan saying "the cities of Caprica are burning" is a pretty obvious reference to many cities.
        What Japanese writing? Looks simply like a stylized script to me.

Spoiler:
        We see Little Tauron in episode 2 of Caprica
        How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

Originally posted by aarlin81 View Post
          What Japanese writing? Looks simply like a stylized script to me.
          Agreed....I thought it loosely resembled the alien scripts from Futurama, myself.

That said, there was some sort of Asian script in "Rebirth".
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Yes, red writing on a yellow banner of one of the shops. Don't know if it's a real or stylized script developed for the show.

Comment

You might be right, it just on the first glance seemed like Japanese katakana to me, but apparently I was mistaken. It is similar but not quite.

But anyway, that part looks very different from others, both in terms of technology and colours, so it could either be another city on Caprica or the Little Tauron.

Comment

there like us so much and yet so different.
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

But anyway, that part looks very different from others, both in terms of technology and colours, so it could either be another city on Caprica or the Little Tauron.
                  I serious doubt it's Little "Anything". Little Tauron, like Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Little Italy, Little Havana, etc. would realistically only be a few square miles. They are communities/neighborhoods, enclaves or districts. They are not cities.
                  Last edited by aarlin81; 31 January 2010, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Just watched the opening again and it's is fact Caprica City. Well partially. I'm thinking now that it's the Caprica City skyline viewed from an elevated location in [possibly] Little Tauron.

Comment

The Pyramid stadium looks like it's based on this structure in Valencia, Spain.

Comment

Working...
                      X