• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brave New World (419)

Visit the Episode GuideHEROES SEASON FOUR
    BRAVE NEW WORLD
    EPISODE NUMBER - 419

With Noah and Claire buried alive, Samuel moves the carnival to Central Park with a plan to kill thousands. Matt tries to stop Peter from taking Sylar, and Hiro finds Charlie in an unexpected place.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 01 May 2015, 10:25 PM.

This was a pretty good episode, but once again, it lacked epic-ness. This would've been a great good mid-season episode, but IMO, it was a bad season (and possibly series) finale. I'm somewhat excited about the setup for the potential next season, but I always am. Maybe a cable channel will pick this up and pump some new life into it. Then again, maybe pigs will fly...

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Good episode, but I really hope this wasn't the series finale. If it was, it definitely wasn't "big" enough.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
        Good episode, but I really hope this wasn't the series finale. If it was, it definitely wasn't "big" enough.
        Indeed! It was great that Samuel wasn't killed off. I actually got annoyed at Claire for the first time in the series! I think she made a foolish decision, but nevertheless I want Season 5/Volume 6!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
          Indeed! It was great that Samuel wasn't killed off. I actually got annoyed at Claire for the first time in the series! I think she made a foolish decision, but nevertheless I want Season 5/Volume 6!
          I know my fingers are crossed.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Really for the first time? I've been annoyed with her decisions a half dozen times by now.

My problems with it:
            1) Sylar has had some version of Peters original power since Vol 3 and he hasn't taken it yet.
            2)no mohinder
            3) still no final super powered battle
            4) they treat Samuel as though he has absolutely no powers without his followers.

I'll think of more.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
              Really for the first time? I've been annoyed with her decisions a half dozen times by now.

My problems with it:
              1) Sylar has had some version of Peters original power since Vol 3 and he hasn't taken it yet.
              2)no mohinder
              4) they treat Samuel as though he has absolutely no powers without his followers.

I'll think of more.
              You forgot to comment on Tracy's phoned in appearance. That was a waste of money and time.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
                Even if the show went on for 10 seasons, this will never happen.

Comment

I thought that episode was pretty good. It was really there to tie up loose ends imo.

It tied up Charlies storyline nicely, although quite sad. Poor Hiro, first the swordsmiths daughter and now Charlie, i'd like to see him get a happily ever after somtime , he really is the hero of the series imo.

I loved the good guys worked together in the end, all doing their little parts.
                  Matt turning the duplicate guy against Samuel (i forget his name)
                  Sylar redeeming himself.
                  Peter going toe to toe with samuel, using his own power against him no less.
                  Hiro teleporting everyone out while being supercharged by Ando, great teamwork .

I definitely think Heroes has at least some more life in it to warrant another season while i can hope for the normal 20 odd episodes i'd be happy with a 13 episode 5th season or a small mini series tbh if it wrapped everything up now that Claire has exposed them to the world. I think it was the right decision she made tbh, you can't hide forever. I think that plot wise there are only a few major things that Heroes can focus on now that are integral to the story.

a) The origin of the super powers. Did we really get a 'proper' explanation. There was all of this use of the Helix symbol prodominantly in the first season, and the fact that the sun gives/takes away super powers somehow. It would be great to know how it all properly started.

b) The fallout of Claire showing her power to the world, it had to be done sooner or later, it will be interesting to see how that plays out if there is another season, i just hope its not another repeat of danko.

Comment

The origin of the super powers. Did we really get a 'proper' explanation. There was all of this use of the Helix symbol prodominantly in the first season, and the fact that the sun gives/takes away super powers somehow. It would be great to know how it all properly started.
                    Evolution, random mutations, etc. I would think that Adam Munroe/Takezo was the first.

You forgot to comment on Tracy's phoned in appearance. That was a waste of money and time.
                    Where did she go?

Comment

it was a good episode for the caliber of Vol 5 (which was pretty weak imo)
                      but not the (possibly) series finale this show deserves

my main problems with this episode:
                      * it was very predictable
                      * what happened to Sylar's hanger? I thought that was part of his ability
                      * Sylar redeeming himself is one thing but a hero? thats a big stretch
                      * Didn't like what Claire did, what would Heroes be without the cover ups and lies?
                      I don't think I want to see that Brave New World
                      * Tracy? really???

good points:
                      Hiro and Charlie plot was resolved beautifully
                      Matt was great
                      Edgar made a nice appearance
                      Peter and Samuel parallels with their brothers

Comment

i found it weak for a finale, that showing abilities to the world was done alternate futures ago
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                          i found it weak for a finale, that showing abilities to the world was done alternate futures ago
                          Maybe that was a foretelling of not an alternate future, but the real future!

Comment

For many former and current fans of “Heroes”, Tim Kring has become the true villain of the series. Not only did he cave to network pressure and alter his plans for the series late in the first season, subsequently delivering a horrible first season finale that started the downward spiral in quality, but he has cast the blame for his own mediocre creative decisions onto others. This has led to writers and producers being fired. Even the best creative minds from the first season, such a Bryan Fuller, were unable to come back for very long.

The unfortunate truth is that every volume of “Heroes” starts out with potential and promises. It seems like that potential is never realized, and those promises are empty PR. This season is a perfect example. The season started off with enormous potential, especially in terms of the new characters and a streamlined approach to the storytelling. There were several episodes that were quite strong, and the character of Samuel was an early highlight.

Unfortunately, the execution never seems to be as edgy and daring as the producers, particularly Kring, would like the public to believe. Claire’s foray into homosexuality was more about sensationalism and press than it was about a progressive character turn. The death of an original character was all over the press, but turned out to be less a shock and more an extension of the third season finale, leaving fans feeling underwhelmed (especially when it was announced to the press weeks before the fateful episode aired!). And after more than a dozen episodes building towards a massive finale, this episode comes up remarkably short, even by “Heroes” standards.

The stage was set for Sylar, a character that is about as irredeemable as it gets, speaking atonement for his atrocities. Peter, a character in search of a purpose, was ready to help take down Samuel, who was preparing to kill thousands in public view. And there was Noah, also adrift, seeking a way to protect mundanes from “Specials” and metahumans from mundanes. All of this taking place within the confines of the carnival, where dozens of metahumans had gathered, seeking safe haven and family.

In other words, the writers had set the stage for Sylar to sacrifice himself to take down Samuel, a man with amplified powers and an ever-escalating desire to unleash them, and for Peter to take his place as the leader of the largest “family” of metahumans revealed to date. Noah, having ties to the old Company, could have set up the community’s security force. Add to that a potential public unveiling of the “Specials” in the process, and it would have indeed ushered in a “brand new world” for the series.

Instead, what did we get? Sylar delivering some of the most overwrought, on-the-nose dialogue the series has ever seen, showing a less convincing brand of redemption than ever before, and surviving to ostensibly go bad yet again should the series continue. And Peter, after all but taking down Samuel himself, showing little to no interest in what comes next. And don’t even get me started on how Hiro’s character arc came to nothing, as he barely factored into the final battle.

The only thing that did happen was the unveiling of the metahumans to the public, and even that was poorly handled. Could it have taken any longer for Claire to get to that platform? And the media seemed rather muted in their reaction to a young woman apparently committing suicide on live television!

Even the resolution to the Charlie plot element seemed to be a copout. While it’s understandable that Jayma Mays would not be available, given the popularity of “Glee”, that’s something that the producers should have taken into account before opening this particular door in the first place. Sure, this resolves that part of Hiro’s past and forces him to see the error in attempting to “fix” the past, but didn’t he already learn that lesson?

The biggest problem was the execution of the finale itself. The producers of “Heroes”, particularly Kring, have never understood that the finale of a given volume should bring the story to a rousing climax. It shouldn’t be less impressive than episodes halfway through the arc. While Kring did manage to factor Samuel’s ability into the finale, something that was not at all a sure thing, the implementation of that ability amounted to shaking the camera. After seeing buildings and towns brought to ruin, that just doesn’t cut it.

The finale does end on something of a cliffhanger, but I could see how this might serve, however poorly, as a series finale. And let’s be realistic: the chances of renewal are not as good as some might want to hope. One could argue that Claire’s decision at the end of this episode brings the overall arc of the series to a relative close. While I would be vaguely interested in seeing where the writers might take things in a fifth season (glutton for punishment that I am), I don’t see any lingering plot elements that demand exploration.

The unfortunate fact is that “Heroes” has lost relevance in the public domain. The show that once rivaled “Lost” as an example of a crossover genre success has fallen apart due to a distinct lack of long-term vision. For a season that was all about redemption, the failure to achieve that goal creatively may be the most potent argument to bring the series to a close.

Comment

interesting ep, definitely one of the best eps from s4. if this was truly the last ep then it was a weak series finale. however the entire season was pretty boring imo so I didn't expect the finale to be any different. I actually liked Sylar, good or bad this was certainly an interesting ep for his character. as for Claire's revelation, meh been there done that. I honestly don't care if there's another season. the stories are boring, ratings are bad and people seem to have lost interest. we'll just have to wait and see what TPTB decide

really? wow

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                              my main problems with this episode:
                              * it was very predictable
                              * what happened to Sylar's hanger? I thought that was part of his ability
                              * Sylar redeeming himself is one thing but a hero? thats a big stretch
                              * Didn't like what Claire did, what would Heroes be without the cover ups and lies?
                              I don't think I want to see that Brave New World
                              * Tracy? really???
                              yeah how did they find Claire and HRG?
                              sigpic
                              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X