Requiem = The Shrine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requiem = The Shrine?

If you haven't seen The Shrine or Requiem yet, DON'T read this! Major spoilers for both episodes!!

Anyway, I watched Requiem for the first time today and, near the end, I realized how similar it was to SGA's The Shrine. What's strange is that I think both aired in the '09 season--Requiem is the ninth episode of Sanctuary season 1, and The Shrine is the sixth episode of SGA season 5.

What similarities I noticed between the two episodes is that
    Spoiler:
    both involve parasites that are detrimental to the brain, both involve water, and both involve drastic measures to rid the parasite from the infected person.

Both episodes involve a lot of epiphanies about the affected characters--Helen, under the influence of the parasite,
    Spoiler:
    admits to Will that she's jaded from living so long, and that she can't identify with Ashley,
    while Rodney
    Spoiler:
    begins to lose his arrogance and admits many things, including his love for Dr. Keller.

Plus, water plays a big part in creating the problems of either episode: Helen
    Spoiler:
    catches the parasite by way of a mermaid's body, which was carrying the parasite in the water,
    and Rodney
    Spoiler:
    catches the parasite by having a slight cold while being soaked in alien water thanks to a melted glacier.

Both of the early effects of the parasite, although very different (in Requiem,
    Spoiler:
    Helen has symptoms of the bends,
    while in The Shrine
    Spoiler:
    Rodney slowly begins to forget things,
    which is slightly less life-threatening), come on slowly but begin to increase right away.

There are a few differences, though. In Requiem, of course,
    Spoiler:
    the parasite lives in Helen's brain stem and makes her paranoid and angry,
    while in The Shrine
    Spoiler:
    the parasite lives in Rodney's brain and makes him 'senile'.
    On the same token, Requiem has
    Spoiler:
    Will literally asphyxiating Helen to get the parasite to leave her, much like SGA's Thirty Eight Minutes in a way,
    but The Shrine has
    Spoiler:
    Dr. Keller drilling a hole in Rodney's skull to let the parasite escape from the radiation in said shrine.

The largest difference is the situation itself--Requiem
    Spoiler:
    puts two main characters in very obvious jeopardy
    while The Shrine
    Spoiler:
    simply has Rodney in danger because of the parasite. Can't remember if it was going to threaten anyone else too.

And the biggest similarity for me is that Requiem is much, much better than The Shrine. But that's just me

In the end, it seems to me that Requiem could very well have inspired The Shrine, or vice versa. Has anyone else noticed this and, if so, does anyone else think so? Or does it seem that they just use a sci-fi staple and don't take anything from their counterparts? Do tell

(And please let me know if I happened to get anything wrong.)

-----

EDIT

Wow, no answers yet...well, still hoping
    Last edited by Teal'c_PI; 29 January 2010, 04:53 PM.
    sigpic
    ~the guitarists~
Working...
X