dialing destiny from a pegasus gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dialing destiny from a pegasus gate

the pegasus gates like the milky way gates all have 9 chevrons. would it be possible to dial destiny from a pegasus gate?
    Continuing Stargate
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=50813

Stargate Universal Sin

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=67861

Stargate Dark Frontier
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=71213

Uttara Kuru- Afterimage (proper theme for stargate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gPYc1boma8

Almost certainly, but you would still need to meet whatever criteria it was on the Icarus Base planet that allowed them to dial the ninth chevron in the first place.
    ...Stargate is not about the angry nerd.

-David Hewlett,
    Gateworld Podcast Episode #8

Comment

And how do you propose dialing correct POO?
      MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
        And how do you propose dialing correct POO?
        The Ancients must have thought of that. I mean it would be kind of stupid for them to go all the way back to MW just to dial Destiny or to build a MW gate in Pegasus for that sole purpose. Perhaps a POO exists for the Pegasus gates as well (for example the POO of Lantea).

Comment

I'm not sure they were planning on going to PDIG when they sent out Destiny, and they probably weren't planning on dialing it up any time soon either. So it is entirely possible that it was one of these things they were planning to get to whenever the need would arise, and from whichever galaxy they would have happened to be in.

Looks familiar?

Comment

There has always been confusion with the PoO of the gate. In this case the PoO design should have prevented Eli and Rush to dial the gate. If the gate can be successfully re-calibrated to work on any planet they should have established a connection in the first try. The problem in Universe is the PoO are unique to the gate. So unless they where using earth's gate they should have never connected to Destiny. If they have the only and ONLY way to the destiny have exploded along with the planet.
            sigpic
            - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

A custom dialing program allows sending any POO you want in the MWG network. For the most part, it seems to be necessary to simply identify the gate that requested connection. Requiring correct POO to be dialed is most likely just a security measure. So if destination gate has different programming, one that does not check POO against origin, but rather checks for specific POO, then all you need is that POO's gate or a custom dialing program to connect.

PG network gates do not appear to have POO, which would make things difficult. I suppose, with a custom dialing program you could send a POO anyways, but you'd be essentially trying to connect using MWG protocol on a PG gate. That'd be one crazy hack.

Of course, another possibility is that PG network does use POO system, but it is always sent automatically. In that case, again, all you'd need is a custom dialing program. Well, that and the sufficient energy source, of course.

Looks familiar?

Comment

So you are stating that a gate can use any PoO and that they are not unique in the sence of programing only the chevron graphic is different?
                sigpic
                - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

I always thought the address you have to dial in the gate was just a ******* combination to a telephone line. Thats why the same combination ran for thousands of years and you didn't have to know a new number.

The SGC gate or any gate that is disconected from a DHD to long reverts to where chevrons are again points in space and not a passcode.

Icarus base gate I think had the program for Destiny's flight path and a internal chronometer and needed only a code that can be discovered in funky math.

So no you cant dial the Destiny from Pegasus. Unless you know its location and input the exact location into the gate(not dialing chevrons. It doesn't even have enought chevrons to put the 8th symbol to account for every galaxy it traveled through).

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                    PG network gates do not appear to have POO, which would make things difficult. I suppose, with a custom dialing program you could send a POO anyways, but you'd be essentially trying to connect using MWG protocol on a PG gate. That'd be one crazy hack.
                    I'm not sure what you mean by this: every time they dial a planet in Atlantis, they use seven chevrons, the last of which is the point of origin.

Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're saying.

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
                    I always thought the address you have to dial in the gate was just a ******* combination to a telephone line. Thats why the same combination ran for thousands of years and you didn't have to know a new number.
                    The problem with this is that it has been shown several times that they can compute a planet's location based on its 'Gate address.

Icarus base gate I think had the program for Destiny's flight path and a internal chronometer and needed only a code that can be discovered in funky math.
                    Problem: The Icarus Base Stargate was just a normal Milky Way 'Gate that the Icarus team modified to keep from receiving incoming wormholes. Therefore, the program in question has to be in every Milky Way 'Gate, and thus could also be in every Pegasus 'Gate.

Note: Eli Wallace's math had nothing to do with establishing the ninth chevron, but rather had to do with channeling power from the planet's core into the Stargate.

So no you cant dial the Destiny from Pegasus. Unless you know its location and input the exact location into the gate(not dialing chevrons. It doesn't even have enought chevrons to put the 8th symbol to account for every galaxy it traveled through).
                    Of course, I have put forward the idea that the "Destiny's" nine-chevron address is actually the address for the galaxy/group/cluster/supercluster through which the Destiny is currently traveling and that the "circle over triangle" symbol is not only Earth's point of origin, but also the Milky Way's (which would provide an in-universe explanation for why it is on every Milky Way Stargate).

If this were the case, then to dial the Destiny from a Pegasus Stargate, all you would need is the correct set of symbols to define the correct galaxy/group/cluster/supercluster and the correct point of origin for Pegasus.

Of course, this is pure fanon, so take it with a large helping of salt.
                    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix
                      Note: Eli Wallace's math had nothing to do with establishing the ninth chevron, but rather had to do with channeling power from the planet's core into the Stargate.
                      The mathematical problem that Eli solved is due to the precise amount of power and rate of extraction that have to be channelized from the planets core so it would not explode when the Stargate where activated. If to much where extracted to fast, BOOM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                        Of course, I have put forward the idea that the "Destiny's" nine-chevron address is actually the address for the galaxy/group/cluster/supercluster through which the Destiny is currently traveling and that the "circle over triangle" symbol is not only Earth's point of origin, but also the Milky Way's (which would provide an in-universe explanation for why it is on every Milky Way Stargate).
                        How would this even work if Destiny's 9-chevron address is fixed no matter how far it gets away from Earth?

As to the original post, a Pegasus gate is capable of dialing Destiny, since Mallozzi confirmed on his blog that the inability to dial Destiny (or dial back from Destiny) is purely a power issue and not a hardware/software issue with a particular gate design (although this is probably just to open up the possibility of connecting with the Destiny at some point in the future)...
                        Also, Mallozzi stated that Odyssey's secret mission was somehow related to Icarus although the ship obviously wasn't in either the Milky Way or Pegasus galaxies, so it could possibly be hunting for another Icarus type planet (or another power source capable of dialing the 9-chevron address) in another galaxy...

Comment

Originally posted by tinerin View Post
                          How would this even work if Destiny's 9-chevron address is fixed no matter how far it gets away from Earth?
                          The real question is, "Do we really know that the Destiny's address is fixed?" After all, the address was originally found in Atlantis's database, so it is quite possible that the database would update with Destiny's new address every time the address changed. In that case, all we would know is that Destiny's address hasn't changed within the last 2-5 years, which isn't really surprising given its relatively slow speed.
                          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                            The real question is, "Do we really know that the Destiny's address is fixed?" After all, the address was originally found in Atlantis's database, so it is quite possible that the database would update with Destiny's new address every time the address changed. In that case, all we would know is that Destiny's address hasn't changed within the last 2-5 years, which isn't really surprising given its relatively slow speed.
                            But if Atlantis had any additional information that would be necessary to automatically update the address, don't you think we would have known about it since we've had about 4 years to search for anything related to Destiny in Atlantis' database. Also, even though Destiny is on auto-pilot, doesn't mean that there is a fixed course that would have been programmed into Atlantis. The seeder ships ahead of Destiny transmit information back to the Destiny about planets suitable for life and the Destiny goes to visit those planets. Unless Atlantis had a way of communicating with the seeder ships it would have no way to know Destiny's course. And I think alot of people underestimate Destiny's potential speed because Mallozzi has strongly hinted on his blog that Destiny could be in another galaxy before the first season ends.

Comment

Hi guys,

Mind if I cut in?

1. The only reason Icarus was able to dial Destiny, was because of the naquadriant (?), power souce for the gate. Basicly the whole planet was made of the stuff, that's why it exploded when it was attacked by the Gua'uld ships.

2. Icarus planet was choosen because... (read above), and the ngate was transported to that planet. Eli; "What if this is not the exact place, what if earth was the departing reference." (or something along those lines.)

3. Destiny is already in another galaxy.
                              Actualy...., Destiny passed thru 3 galaxies in the first episode.
                              (look at the blue starmap screen, when they try to figure out where they are)

Be well....
                              Vahmp

Comment

Working...
                              X