Falling Skies (TNT) - News/Speculation/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skywise View Post
    Okay, here's the deal. Alien invasion, with the skitters coming down in the mud with us lowly humans makes no sense. If you can build interstellar spaceships, robots, etc..., you don't fight upstart monkeys with machine guns. You'd do something like nukes from orbit, intelligent viruses, drop asteroids on us until we were dead, almost anything other than climb down here with us and our kinetic weapons. So, what's going on? My guess is they are something from much closer home, future humans from a dying Earth maybe. The 'aliens' might not be the skitters at all, they might be in the mechs. If they are the skitters, my guess is they are genetically modified humans clinging to life on the future poluted or plague-ridden Earth and have come back here to stop us from destroying the planet. Makes a lot more sense than suicidal aliens coming many light years to fight with monkeys.
    They've already nuked most the major cities, and killed a large percentage, if not the majority of the population, as well as destroying any large build up of military units, that's already established early in the show. It's also shown when a resistance group get hold of heavy weapons, they get nuked, we actually see that at the start of the first episode.

The whole "future human" thing doesn't really hold up then, because the aliens have done a lot of damage to the planet. The reason why they are now fighting the humans on the ground is because it seems they want the children, and you can't get at them when you've burnt them to a cinder.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
      Definitely a different role for him, isn't it? Nice to see him though.
      Very different role, but it was very good to see him. I plan on trying to watch the pilot one more time when it airs on Friday. I hope I don't fall asleep this time!
      sigpic

Comment

It doesn't make sense from an alien invasion perspective. Why take children as slaves when you have robots? Why take children to use up and spend the trouble to fix them? And why did the series preview allude to how human the skitters look internally? No, they are related to us in some way, either by a common future or possibly genetic engineering to fit on Earth. That might make some sense, take the kids for breeding stock. But again, think about it, a human male carries millions of sperm. You don't need the whole person, just a test tube. Ditto with eggs from females. Why children, it has to be a grander scheme involving saving us from ourselves.

Comment

I would think that humans from the future wouldn't want to go back in time and wipe out their (possible)ancestors.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
            I would think that humans from the future wouldn't want to go back in time and wipe out their (possible)ancestors.
            While I do agree with that, I do think that there is some connection between them and us. We shall see.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Fun series thus far. The storylines will probably be more interesting and offer better diversity than the Walking Dead (both series were in pre-production at the same time) since the enemies are not one dimensional zombies but aliens which can be fleshed out or not depending on the writers orientation. So it gives the writers a bit more storylines possibilities.
              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                While I do agree with that, I do think that there is some connection between them and us. We shall see.

I can see there being some kind of connection, but I just don't really see it being future humans going back in time in order to save the planet, and save us from ourselves by nuking the planet, killing large portions of the population, and turning any children they find into what looks like mindless zombies. They haven't gone into what exactly is up with the kids so far, so who knows.
                sigpic

Comment

It was enjoyable - I've always liked Noah Wyle, and Colin Cunningham was just bloody brilliant. The characters are, for the most part, cookie-cutter stereotypes, but they're watchable enough. Looking forward to seeing where they take the story.
                  sigpic

Comment

It doesn't make sense from an alien invasion perspective. Why take children as slaves when you have robots? Why take children to use up and spend the trouble to fix them? And why did the series preview allude to how human the skitters look internally? No, they are related to us in some way, either by a common future or possibly genetic engineering to fit on Earth. That might make some sense, take the kids for breeding stock. But again, think about it, a human male carries millions of sperm. You don't need the whole person, just a test tube. Ditto with eggs from females. Why children, it has to be a grander scheme involving saving us from ourselves.
                    Whether or not the aliens desire for the children is bad writing, your idea is hardly better. In fact it's worse, if they're from the "future" and here to save us then they're doing a piss poor job. Not unless you're idea of being saved is having all major cities wiped out, and the remaining population rounded up into camps for easy nuking by the aliens as well.

The aliens seem to treat the children as a resource, not as something that needs saving. Yes they try and obtain as many as possible, but when it becomes too much bother, as when one resistance group breaks out heavy weapons at the start of the first episode, they have no compunction about nuking them and moving on.

The aliens use the children for something, though in my mind it seems to be more to do with the mechs, as the children seem to follow them around and they are bi pedal, unlike the skitters. As for the preview, it's a preview, they are often misleading, and that line seems to be a voiceover they may have quite possibly lifted from another scene or even episode.

The whole "future humans" thing takes the show in a completely different direction, away from the alien invasion theme that is present, towards time travel and environmental damage, and rather closer to the other series Spielberg has in development, Terra Nova. Since a major theme in that show is time travel and humans from the future trying to save civilisation from an over polluted planet, I doubt Spielberg would develop two series that would end up having such close central premises.
                    Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                    Fun series thus far. The storylines will probably be more interesting and offer better diversity than the Walking Dead (both series were in pre-production at the same time) since the enemies are not one dimensional zombies but aliens which can be fleshed out or not depending on the writers orientation. So it gives the writers a bit more storylines possibilities.
                    Possibly, but The Walking Dead has the advantage of much better writers like Frank Darabont, a bigger budget and being on AMC, so it's allowed to be much more darker and daring. And on a more subjective note, I think the actors were better on the Walking Dead as well.

As it is though I think they're strengths lie in different areas. Falling Skies is best when it's focused on the fight against the aliens, the more military scenes are where it's strongest, and I found the character drama often fell flat on its face. By contrast, the Walking Dead may not be able to have much variety with zombies, but it is more of a character focused show anyway. The zombies are the backdrop, but more often it is the conflict between the character and the group dynamic that is the most interesting thing.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
                      Not amazing, but very watchable.

It really livened up when they introduced the bad guy ex-con. I didn't know who the actor was but the character had lots of charisma.

I was shocked when I found out it was Colin Cunningham and I should have recognized him from Stargate. It's really a break-out role for him
                      I knew it was cunningham from the previews...great to see a fine actor in a nice breakout and rather "main stream" (from the viewpoint of being on TNT) role. Maybe we will see a lot more of the actor in other roles.

I found the characters very LIKEABLE unlike the characters of that other show which shall remain nameless. Being able to root for a good guy matters to me in a tv show. when i watch show with only the hope that everyone dies- i prefer to move on.

there are many questions to be answered about the skitters, the mechs, and the children. i have my own theory based in part on the preview for next week, but I am interested in how the show will develope. TNT has done some really good shows- Rizzoli & Isles and the Closer to name just two.

edit- they changed the spoilers tag- rats.
                      Last edited by Snookie16; 23 June 2011, 07:37 AM.
                      All of the above statments are merely my own opinion unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I am looking forward to watching this next week, all three episodes that will be out by then. It sound pretty good.

Comment

Just watched the first episode. I'm hoping there's a grander purpose to the invasion that will be slowly revealed. Assuming that taking children and mind controlling them has a large part to play in the endgame plan.

Reminded me a lot of The Walking Dead. I don't think this was as good, but I see the potential. I also hope the characters won't continue to be as one-dimensional as the pilot portrayed them to be.

I did not get any O'neill, Sheppard or Reynolds vibe from Noah Wyle's character. Those are military characters and he's just a civilian who's thrown into the situation. He's going to end up combining his smarts with the military part he's picking up. If anything he's a John Crichton minus the craziness.
                          sigpic

Comment

Maybe they use the children as incubators or somehow the children are transformed into skitters?
                            sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

I'm guessing the children are somehow part of the mech's construction, kind of like the Cybermen. It would fit with the bipedal thing.
                              sigpic

Comment

Ok...its re-airing tonight. I'm planning on watching it (or at least attempting to).
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X