Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*gulp*

Comment

Makes me wonder why they he didn't just go to BBC America instead of Fox. However, I could see it being picked up so long BBC America is being credited and gets rerun rights.

sigpic

Comment

This gives me a small reason to hope that it won't happen. Fingers (& everything else) crossed that it gets quietly shelved.

Comment

As time goes on, I find myself more interested in TW: America than I am in anymore stories from Torchwood 3. I kind of hope it gets picked up.
          Originally posted by Callista
          Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
          Originally posted by HPMom
          She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            the term 'viewer friendly' scares me.

i'm sure some in the network will see that as 'dumb it down, sex it up and make it appeal to the lowest common denominator'

what made the bbc torchwood so fun was, yeah, they had a sense of fun at times, but they also weren't afraid to do the non-pc stuff.

captain jack being gay was...just part of the show, not a 'look at us, aren't we politically correct?' and he wasn't a joke like the Jack character on Will and Grace. it had a good mix of angst and tragedy and humor and hilarity

I don't have much faith in Fox having any class when they remake it
            That is just insulting. TORCHWOOD was the best as it was and should not be remade by anyone in the US.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Laertes View Post
              As long as they leave Jack's love of kissing men alone I don't see a problem. That's the one big thing I can see an American broadcaster, especially Fox, changing
              Jack is especially hawt when kissing men and I it would be the first thing changed by FOX
              sigpic

Comment

'Torchwood' exclusive: Would U.S. version turn Capt. Jack straight?

Not if John Barrowman has anything to say about it.

Torchwood’s leading man (and upcoming Desperate Housewives guest star) tells me it’s his strong preference that Fox’s in-the-works American version of his BBC smash would not tinker with his character’s sexuality.
                ”I hope wherever [the franchise] goes that the show stays the same,” says the openly gay Scottish thesp. “The last thing I would want would be for Jack to become this heterosexual, straight hero. He’s an omnisexual guy. He likes men, women, aliens, whatever. I think we should continue going down that route.”

continues:
                http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/03/...-gay-straight/

Comment

I doubt he would be "degayed," but the character was desexualized in CoE, so I imagine that they'll play him the same way they did in the miniseries if he makes it to American TV.

Comment

what they'll do is, technically jack will still be gay...but he'll be the straightest gay out there. the oogling will be toned down or happen only for females, the quips and suggestiveness will be toned down.

he'll make dumbledore look effeminate and effusive
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The more I hear about this, the more I absolutely hate the idea.

Comment

I posted this in the news thread, but I think it belongs here too because the main change we've been taking about is Jack's sexuality.
                        Barrowman reacts to US 'Torchwood' plans

John Barrowman has said that he doesn't want his Torchwood character's sexuality to be reversed in the US version.

According to Entertainment Weekly, the American remake of Torchwood has plans to make his Captain Jack role straight.

"I hope wherever [the franchise] goes that the show stays the same," said the actor.

"The last thing I would want would be for Jack to become this heterosexual, straight hero. He's an omnisexual guy. He likes men, women, aliens, whatever. I think we should continue going down that route."

The star added that any effort to change Captain Jack's sexual orientation would need to involve a "big discussion" between creator Russell T Davies and his producing partner Julie Gardner.

As for additional information about the spinoff, Barrowman claimed that he only knows what has already been reported, including that Fox has commissioned Davies to write the pilot.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s8/...ood-plans.html
                        I have been expecting this news ever since I first posted in this thread. I guess I had been giving Fox too much credit by thinking they'd be willing to promote Jack's gayness. I was hoping that they'd just ignore his "omnisexuality" but making him straight was the worst thing they could do, so I really should have expected that.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          what they'll do is, technically jack will still be gay...but he'll be the straightest gay out there. the oogling will be toned down or happen only for females, the quips and suggestiveness will be toned down.

he'll make dumbledore look effeminate and effusive
                          Exactly this. And it wont be able to be blamed on American social mores or networks because it started in CoE. I kept waiting for Jack to tell one of his "one time, there were these six alien..." stories in CoE and it never happened.

Comment

According to Entertainment Weekly, the American remake of Torchwood has plans to make his Captain Jack role straight.
                            Aaaaaaarrrrrrgh!

It was good as it was.. why can't they just leave it alone?!
                            sigpic
                            http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                            http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                              Exactly this. And it wont be able to be blamed on American social mores or networks because it started in CoE. I kept waiting for Jack to tell one of his "one time, there were these six alien..." stories in CoE and it never happened.
                              I kind of assumed that had more to do with the type of storytelling they were aiming for in CoE... all the "this is serious sci-fi with a serious political/social message" stuff. I don't think Jack's normal humor and innuendo would have fit with that more "serious" vibe they seemed to be going for.

Actually, that's what makes me curious about the possibility of an American version of Torchwood. Would they try to keep it dark and serious (like CoE)... or would they go with a slightly lighter style and a bit more humor? If they don't try to make it too serious, I could see them allowing a few more of Jack's quips and innuendos. But if they try to mimic the style of CoE, then I agree that they will probably tone down Jack's sexuality significantly.
                              Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                              Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
                                I kind of assumed that had more to do with the type of storytelling they were aiming for in CoE... all the "this is serious sci-fi with a serious political/social message" stuff. I don't think Jack's normal humor and innuendo would have fit with that more "serious" vibe they seemed to be going for.
                                I couldn't even begin to guess exactly why Jack was toned down in CoE (the style they were aiming for, to make him appeal to a broader audience) but I see a lot of "America better not change Jack's sexuality" when he's already been changed in the British version, for whatever reason.

CoE Jack would fit perfectly on American television; his sexuality was already watered down. He didn't flirt. There was no sexual banter. He turned down end of the world sex.

I guess it just bothers me a bit to hear how America is going to ruin this "great thing" when the very changes that are being protested happened in the British version first. I'm being weirdly defensive about this...

Comment

Working...
                                X