No announcement yet.

Fox developing an American version of Torchwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL I did have trouble getting to sleep. Not until like 2:30 or so.
    Quarrels and Quills needs some talkative members. Check it out.

RPG Tools - need a name. come here

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      IF the BBC has to get a Torchwood series made by an American company then I say it should go to HBO. HBO co-produced the shows Band of Brothers and Rome with the BBC and made great jobs with them too. I feel that if BBC feel its absolutely necessary for an American company to become involved with producing Torchwood then I hope, with all my heart, that its HBO. The BBC and HBO have worked together very well before and I reckon they could do so again with Torchwood.

If FOX had managed to get their hands on it then they'd be filming it in LA or something. HBO seems more outgoing. HBO/BBC filmed Band of Brothers in many, many countries outside of the US ranging from the UK to Switzerland. HBO/BBC filmed Rome in Italy. If their willing to go that far to produce those shows then I reckon they could keep Torchwood filming in Cardiff.
      That I get behind. HBO has a record of producing amazing television shows like The Wire and Generation Kill. If they're gonna have American writers on the show they should really get David Simon and Ed Burns. Best. Tv. Writers. EVER.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lairston View Post
        LOL I did have trouble getting to sleep. Not until like 2:30 or so.
        LOL

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
        That I get behind. HBO has a record of producing amazing television shows like The Wire and Generation Kill. If they're gonna have American writers on the show they should really get David Simon and Ed Burns. Best. Tv. Writers. EVER.
        I'm not aware of David Simon and Ed Burns' work. What have they worked on before? At least Russell T. Davis is working on the US version so that's one good thing that's coming out of this.
        Another thing about US-produced Torchwood...if this thing has to go ahead then I'd rather it be continuing the story from where the original UK version left off. If RTD is writing this then I hope he has it in mind to keep it going from where we last saw Jack and Gwen but I imagine that depends on lots of things. The US Execs might insist on it being a totally fresh start with no connections to Doctor Who. I definitely don't want a fresh start.
        Also, assuming this US version uses the characters, I don't want to see Jack and Gwen re-cast with American actors. It's John Barrowman and Eve Myles or nobody.
        Last edited by Alan; 03 June 2010, 11:14 AM.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Torchwood to return for fourth series in US co-production deal
          Published Monday 7 June 2010 at 18:53 by Alistair Smith

Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood is to return for a fourth series, thanks to a co-production deal between BBC Cymru Wales, BBC Worldwide and US network Starz Entertainment.

The ten episode series will be written by a team led by Torchwood creator Russell T Davies and produced by BBC Worldwide Productions. Davies and BBC Worldwide Productions’ senior vice president for scripted programmes Julie Gardner return as executive producers with BBC Worldwide Productions executive vice president Jane Tranter.

The series has been commissioned by BBC One controller Jay Hunt, BBC Drama controller Ben Stephenson, and Starz president and chief executive Chris Albrecht.

While previous series were based on location in Cardiff, the new series will include locations in the US and around the world. John Barrowman and Eve Myles will return in their roles as Captain Jack and Gwen respectively, along with new characters.

Stephenson said: “We have a long history of working with many US networks but it is incredibly exciting to be working with Starz for the first time, as well as to be reunited with the best of British in Russell, Jane and Julie. Torchwood will burst back onto the screen with a shocking and moving story with global stakes and locations that will make it feel bigger and bolder than ever”

Original link here: http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newss...h-series-in-us

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            another yank that agrees

all too often the US definition of 'good' scifi (by network execs) is
            boobs, butts, bombs, oh yeah and we'll toss in some cliched stories and pretty actors (making sure we're policically correct in gender and racial make up) and make this bland little thing

and if there's another show that's more avant garde and getting notice, well let's discredit and kill it, cause you know, we can't have people thinking that scifi is supposed to be full of rich characters and vibrant stories and plots that aren't all 'white hat vs black hat'
            Amen to this.
            I'm an American and I do not like how the major networks ruin good shows. (Or what they consider good shows to begin with. Anything that's edgy or different doesn't seem to last long.)
            I shudder to think of all the things in Torchwood that would not have been allowed or that would have been watered down. I hope that doesn't happen with season four on Starz.
            sigpic
            The Terry O`Quinn Fansite
            My art and writing site

Comment

Torchwood star can’t wait to start new series

Jul 4 2010 by Rachel Mainwaring, Wales On Sunday

TORCHWOOD star Eve Myles has revealed how she is nervously preparing to move her family across the Atlantic.

The 31-year-old will be starring in the American version of the hit sci-fi show and will be jetting off at the end of the year with partner Brad and baby daughter Matilda.

And she’s even got her beloved dog Honeysuckle a passport – so she can go too.

Eve, who gave birth to Matilda last November, is looking forward to the big move, after it was announced that Torchwood would be moving Stateside for a new series to be aired in 2011.

The Ystradgynlais actress, who now lives in Cardiff, said: “I’ve been enjoying some really lovely times with Matilda.

“She’s seven months old and is just adorable. She is sleeping right through the night and she is just fantastic. She is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Since she came along I’ve woken up every day with a smile on my face. She is just so lovely and pleasant, she is always laughing and I’ve been relishing every minute.

“Nothing I’ve ever done before comes close to how it feels to have Matilda. She is so beautiful, a carbon copy of her daddy with the same turquoise eyes. But I’m pleased to say it looks as if she’s got my famous gap, so that’s good news.”

And now Eve is preparing for an even busier few months.

She said: “Things are starting to pick up again work-wise. I’m about to sign for a BBC Wales TV remake of The Fabulous Baker Boys and I’ve got another film in Bulgaria and then we start shooting the new Torchwood in January.

“Matilda and Brad are coming with me but I couldn’t possibly not take Honey too as we are going to be there for seven-and-a-half months.

“So it’s all sorted. She’s got a new passport and we are raring to go.”

But Eve, who plays feisty Gwen Cooper in the show, admits she’s very nervous about upping sticks, even though she will be starring alongside her good friend John Barrowman.

She said: “To be honest, I am quite nervous and apprehensive but then I still get nervous every time I start a new job and then as soon as I’ve filmed the first day I calm down a bit.

“We’re not sure yet whether we are going to be living in Los Angeles or Canada but Torchwood is already very popular in America and I had no idea exactly how big it was until I was in Washington DC and I saw myself on the back of a bus. Weird. It’s got an absolutely massive fan base, it’s been the number one sci-fi show for the past three years out there.

“I haven’t managed to see John much but we get on so well that as soon as we start working it will be like we’ve been together for weeks.”

Eve has been with fellow actor Bradley Freegard for several years and, despite wearing an eternity ring on her wedding finger, she said she had not married Brad yet – but promises she will do one day in the future.

She said: “I was pictured with the ring on my wedding finger but it’s not a wedding ring. It’s the eternity ring Brad bought for my 30th birthday.

“I will marry him one day. It’s something we’ve talked about but, at the moment, we’re too busy. Maybe we’ll wait until there are a few Myles-Freegards running around the place.”

Link to original article: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz...1466-26780199/
              Last edited by Alan; 04 July 2010, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                Torchwood star can’t wait to start new series

[snip]
                Link:
                http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz...1466-26780199/
                sigpic

Comment

Ran across the article above a while back and it was interesting information and all, but something made me scratch my head a bit. In particular, this part:

“We’re not sure yet whether we are going to be living in Los Angeles or Canada but Torchwood is already very popular in America and I had no idea exactly how big it was until I was in Washington DC and I saw myself on the back of a bus. Weird. It’s got an absolutely massive fan base, it’s been the number one sci-fi show for the past three years out there."
                  Does anyone know exactly what Eve Myles is referring to here? Does she mean the number one sci-fi show on BBC America? I don't know BCCA's rating figures, but I would have expected Doctor Who to beat out Torchwood, though I could be wrong. Either way, it sounds like she was saying Torchwood was the number one sci-fi show in the country. Which is absurd, to be honest. I'm curious what kind of measuring stick she might be basing these claims on, because as much as I like Torchwood, it seems to me that the cast and crew keep making exaggerated claims (like this one) about it's popularity in the US, when as far as I can tell, most people here don't even know what it is.
                  Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                  Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

She's probably talking about BBC America ratings. Torchwood has been on the channel longer than Dr. Who so it could open the door to better ratings, plus Dr. Who was edited when it first aired on BBC America (not sure what they edited) so chances are it was downloaded more because of it's "uncut" airing in the UK.

sigpic

Comment

Ah, that would make a little more sense. I'd forgotten that Doctor Who wasn't always on BBC America, but that would certainly explain it. Thanks for the info.
                      Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                      Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

This casting call went up on ONTD and similar sites this morning, but has since been removed from many.

Considering many of the names used (Matheson/Rex) are names of other characters played by former whoniverse actors and the unbelievable character description for one, many people are hoping this is a hoax. Unrepentant paedophiles? The Tosh/Owen 2.0 characters and relationship?

I was pretty sure I wouldn't be tuning in to the new season anyway, but if this casting sheet is genuine my pretty sure becomes definant.

TORCHWOOD

Executive Producers: Julie Gardner, Russell T Davies
                        Writer: Russell T Davies
                        Director: TBD
                        Casting Directors: John Frank Levey, Melanie Burgess
                        Work Dates: starting approx Jan 12, 2011 for 10 eps

SUBMIT ELECTRONICALLY

[REX MATHESON] CAUCASIAN, Late 20s, CIA agent, a fast-tracked high-flyer. And he knows it! Rex is fast, sharp, smart, clever, and when the situation demands it, ruthless. He's got a lethal sense of humor - he doesn't care if he makes enemies, he's too busy enjoying himself. But when Rex's life is put in danger, he feels his own mortality for the first time, and has to balance the demands of the job, and his duty to his country, against his desperate desire to survive. Though that doesn't defeat him - if anything, it makes him even more arrogant and unstoppable than ever. For Rex, all rules are off! Like him or loathe him, you can't miss him - and that's exactly how Rex wants things to beÂ…..SERIES REGULAR

[ESTHER KATUSI] She's early 20s, a Watch Analyst at the CIA - it's one of the less glamorous jobs, filtering information to pass along the chain. But Esther's determined to better herself! She's still young, so the job hasn't made her cynical yet - she's still an optimist, ever hopeful, and her faith in mankind is sustained by her own Christianity. She's hopelessly in love with one of the CIA agents, Rex Matheson, though she'd never tell him. Nevertheless, she's no pushover - she's more than capable of thinking for herself, and can break the rules when she needs to. And when Esther's forced off the grid, and on the run, she learns to survive, fast. She turns out to be a natural, learning to fight and run with the best of them, without ever losing her essential good-hearted nature. Please submit actors of all races and ethnicities EXCEPT Caucasian. Recurring Guest Star. Will appear in many, or possibly all 10 episodes.

[OSWALD JONES] CAUCASIAN, Late 40s, a convicted murderer and pedophile. But he's no thug - this man is dangerously clever. Oswald escapes his sentence on a technicality, and finds himself becoming a media celebrity. And he's sharp enough to make the most of the situation, and profit from it. He's always thinking, always aware, always looking for the chance to promote himself - while living with the fact that many people want him dead. He appears to be wonderfully, genuinely repentant - but underneath, he's still boiling with lust and rage. And one day, he's going to lose control again. But this man is destined to become more important than even he could have foreseen, as terrifying events of worldwide significance begin to turn around him... Recurring Guest Star. Will appear in many, or possibly all 10 episodes.
                        Originally posted by Callista
                        Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                        Originally posted by HPMom
                        She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                          This casting call went up on ONTD and similar sites this morning, but has since been removed from many.

Considering many of the names used (Matheson/Rex) are names of other characters played by former whoniverse actors and the unbelievable character description for one, many people are hoping this is a hoax. Unrepentant paedophiles? The Tosh/Owen 2.0 characters and relationship?

I was pretty sure I wouldn't be tuning in to the new season anyway, but if this casting sheet is genuine my pretty sure becomes definant.
                          I think this has been discredited as being a hoax. I wouldn't put too much faith in any of that.

Comment

Working...
                          X