Fox developing an American version of Torchwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fox developing an American version of Torchwood

BREAKING: Fox working on American version of #Torchwood ... Details to come at AirlockAlpha.com
    http://twitter.com/AirlockAlpha/status/7950521313

Fox Wants To Bring 'Torchwood' To America

Yet another British import is making its way to the United States, but this time it's not only science-fiction, but it's also garnered interest from a major network.

Fox says it wants to produce an American version of the hit BBC series "Torchwood," the "Doctor Who" spinoff that garnered critical acclaim and mass appeal last year for its "Children of Earth" miniseries. The British series, which stars John Barrowman as Capt. Jack Harkness and Eve Myles as Gwen Cooper.

Many times, remakes of foreign programs get lost in translation. However, Fox is trying to sidestep that by keeping the British series' producers of "Torchwood" intact. Yes, that means creator and showrunner Russell T. Davies as well as executive producer Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter will be aboard the American version.

Not that they will just be names in the credits. Davies also intends to write the pilot episode, which is beind developed by BBC Worldwide Productions, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

In fact, the new show -- which will take on more of a global feel rather than the more localized Welsh take found in the original -- could even include Barrowman, who first established his immortal Capt. Jack in the first season of the modern "Doctor Who," a British iconic series that was revived by Davies.

Such a project is still in the early pre-production stages, and it's not clear if this is a pilot order or what Fox has planned for the series.

http://airlockalpha.com/node/7055

question is are they going to show Jack Harkness as a Bi-sexual person? and to the what extent. Like kissing and all; knowing its FOX. there might be some cut downs.
    Favorite Characters:
    Babylon 5: Londo Mollari, G'Kar
    Farscape: Rygel, Zhaan
    SG1: Jack O'Neill
    SG-A: Rodney McKay

Favorite Shows In Order:
    Stargate SG-1 | DS9 | Babylon 5 | Farscape | ST:VOY | Firefly |Stargate Universe | Stargate Atlantis | BSG

Comment

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this piece news...
      Last edited by EvilSpaceAlien; 19 January 2010, 09:08 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
        I don't if I should laugh or cry at this news...
        Sci-fi on Fox? I'd cry. Laugh, then cry. Then laugh again. Likely it wont make it, and then if it does, Fox will cancel it anyway.

One has to wonder where this leaves the original series. I mean, I knew CoE was going to end TW as we knew it but I honestly thought there wouldbe atleast one more season.
        Originally posted by Callista
        Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
        Originally posted by HPMom
        She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Why?! Why?!

This is such an awful idea. Is it going to be cannon if it's not made by the BBC?

Comment

I don't know what I think about this, I loathe Fox......but if they keep it the same cast and such...then their might be hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
              I don't know what I think about this, I loathe Fox......but if they keep it the same cast and such...then their might be hope.
              Barrowman has been linked to it, but I can't imagine that EM or KO would be too heavily involved. I mean, why go for an american remake instead of a season 4 if your going to use your existing british cast? We might see Gwen and Rhys from time to time, but I imagine we'll get an all new american cast.

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
              Is it going to be cannon if it's not made by the BBC?
              Yes, I would imagine it will be.
              Last edited by Ashizuri; 19 January 2010, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                Barrowman has been linked to it, but I can't imagine that EM or KO would be too heavily involved. I mean, why go for an american remake instead of a season 4 if your going to use your existing british cast? We might see Gwen and Rhys from time to time, but I imagine we'll get an all new american cast.
                So in a way this show will be about a different branch of Torchwood? Then again its probably way too early to tell. I'd rather not have a US version of TW, I may live here but It doesn't mean I like it.

Comment

So in a way this show will be about a different branch of Torchwood? Then again its probably way too early to tell. I'd rather not have a US version of TW, I may live here but It doesn't mean I like it.
                  That's what I'm thinking. Perhaps we'll see the return of Captain SpikeJohn.

With it being a "global" show, I can easily picture EM doing a guest spot or two if things get shady in Cardiff, but I do think we'll see new, american cast members as the leads.

I didn't particularly want an american version either. The more I hear about TW in general I realize that I kind of wanted CoE to be the end, so maybe a completely new start can get me interested again.
                  Last edited by Ashizuri; 19 January 2010, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                    Why?! Why?!

This is such an awful idea. Is it going to be cannon if it's not made by the BBC?
                    Quoted for truth. My reaction to seeing this news literally took these steps - shock, horror, fear.

This has to be a nightmare I'm having right now. This just *cannot* be happening.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

So in a way this show will be about a different branch of Torchwood? Then again its probably way too early to tell.
                      It pretty much has to be, doesn't it? I mean, the Cardiff branch is all but destroyed in CoE. I never understood how they could continue with Torchwood 3 after that. A new branch of Torchwood would make much more sense. And if this new show is made specifically for an American audience, it will probably be placed in the states somewhere, although the new group might spend more time investigating alien activity around the world (sort of like they do in Sanctuary).

I'd rather not have a US version of TW, I may live here but It doesn't mean I like it.
                      Agreed. Sad as it is, part of the allure of Torchwood for me was that it was so not American. It's partially why I put up with some writing that I considered to be quite shoddy. I liked that it was just a bit different than all the American paranormal/SF TV shows.

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                      I didn't particularly want an american version either. The more I hear about TW in general I realize that I kind of wanted CoE to be the end, so maybe a completely new start can get me interested again.
                      Well, I like the idea of a "new start" to Torchwood. But when I first heard this rumor, my first words were "I hope RTD's not writing it!" And since it sounds like he is... that's not a new start. It's just a rehash of the same writing issues that plagued Torchwood series 1-3, IMO. If there was some new writing talent or a new producer behind it, then maybe I would have more faith in it. But as it is, I'm prepared to laugh my head off at whatever comes of this.

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      This has to be a nightmare I'm having right now. This just *cannot* be happening.
                      Maybe it's denial on my part, but I don't quite believe that it is happening. It just seems like the latest in a long stream of post-CoE rumors. I half hope/expect that some producer or network executive will realize that this is a horrible idea and put a stop to it. *shrug* Who knows. Guess we'll have to sit back and see what, if anything, comes of it.
                      Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                      Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

You do remember that Fox had the X-Files right?

they HAVE done scifi in the past.

It's an interesting concept, although i'm sure it'll be a heavily americanized version, likely taped in Vancouver and will be a mix of x-files/possibly sanctuary and will likely be similar to torchwood in theme only.....elite team of people operate outside the law to control/kill/contain monsters coming through a rift in time/space
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

For ****S SAKE!

And yes, I know that'll get censored.

Why does everything decent that is OURS have to get raped by US television. Seriously. Torchwood is inherently British, and what's more, inherently Welsh. It's the core identity of the show. I'm not sure which I find more offensive, the idea of simply a US version, or a canonical US version with the same characters. The US dominates Sci Fi, why does it have to dominate British sci fi as well? Torchwood is a British concept, both the show and the fictional institution, unless there's a Torchwood colonial branch in the US working to revoke America's independence, then the whole concept os frankly ********.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

hey, no complaints from me in that...i LIKE brit shows. nice to see different actors, different locations, differnet attitudes

so much is done in vancouver with the same 'ideals' and attitudes that I get bored with it.

i'm not gonna doom and gloom it, but dude, can they come up with ANYTHING original? or, in addition to sequels and reboots, must they now 'remake' every foreign show into a US version?
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Well with any luck nothing'll come of this.

Does anyone else remember Red Dwarf USA?
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X