Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think is better technology? Atlantis or Destiny?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think is better technology? Atlantis or Destiny?

By better, I mean in its overall usefulness. What seems as a more elegant solution for the functions the constructs need to perform? (Okay, one is a ship, one a flying city, but anyway.)

Personally, to me the Destiny seems much more cleverly built. With all the technology available when Atlantis was built and the same resourcefulness used in the construction of Destiny, Atlantis could have some more elegant solutions than it has.

Haven't seen enough of destiny to really make a decision.

.We don't know how good Destiny's weapons are
    .Is FTL faster then Atlantis?(is it? anyone know)

Until we see how good Destiny's weapons are I am going with Atlantis
    Tst

Comment

Atlantis had ease of use and far more advanced technology than the Destiny. The AI aboard the Destiny appears to be the only thing the ship has going for it.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        Atlantis had ease of use and far more advanced technology than the Destiny. The AI aboard the Destiny appears to be the only thing the ship has going for it.
        As well as it's ability to recharge via the stars? The one thing that always annoyed me about Atlantis was that if you didn't have the holy grail power source that was a ZPM you could not use the city at all! Now that doesn't scream ease of use to me.

If Rush and the other scientists could crack the computer systems (which were designed to only be accessed by the Ancients) and access all stable areas of the ship (such as the Bridge if there is one...) than I think Destiny would be a much more efficient and useful ship than Atlantis.

Having said that, the two vessels were designed for entirely different things. Atlantis is a city, designed to house thousands of beings and effectively govern the Alteran/Lantean race. It's weapon systems are incredibly limited. Drones. That's it. You run out of Drones, you run out of offensive weaponry. Of course Atlantis was never built as a warship and this needs to be remembered.

Which is the better technology? Well to say Atlantis... I would have to have a plethora of ZPM's and Drones at my disposal. To say Destiny, well I would need to have a star available, and there's a few of those around I think

I feel that for any technology to be useful the power systems need to be efficient and easy to use.
        Meh.

Comment

Forgot about that! The solar powered ship certainly is a +.
          But remember: they just haven't found the ZPM-making room in Atlantis yet.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

By AI you mean artificial intelligence? I haven't seen any so far. If you mean the safety protocols, they don't seem very intelligent to me if they can be fooled by blind weapons fire used to force the ship into a star. They're just safety measures, just like Atlantis had.

And in what way was Atlantis "far more advanced"? I.e., what could it do Destiny can't? (Granted, we would have to know more about the Destiny's capabilities, but my point is, even though it's supposed to be an old bucket of bolts, the Destiny actually doesn't come across as less advanced than Atlantis in a significant way, at least to me...)

Originally posted by spinny magee
            .We don't know how good Destiny's weapons are
            .Is FTL faster then Atlantis?(is it? anyone know)
            Yeah, the weapons are a good point, we've only seen a test firing. So far we can safely say they're some kind of energy bolt, probably omnidirectional. Likely not as good as drones.

No one knows anything about the Destiny's FTL at present, if I'm not mistaken. Although while it may not be faster, it is certainly less power-intensive - it doesn't need three ZPMs in simultaneous operation. In fact, the entire ship must be pretty lean on power requirements, what with the only thing it has being some kind of ramscoop solar matter collectors.

Comment

Atlantis is millions of years younger than the Destiny, isn't it? Doesn't that mean it's more advanced?
              As for an 'AI', I get into trouble for calling it that, but it is an adaptive computer program that's kept the ship safe for millions of years. Atlantis had to have a code specially written to raise the city once the ZPMs finally failed.
              On Atlantis, you came in, pushed buttons and made basic things work, or sat in a chair [if you had the gene] and made things work. Or, if you're an Ancient, you step through the gate and control panels rise from the floor and let you work things.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

But remember: they just haven't found the ZPM-making room in Atlantis yet.
                Yeah. Another reason why Universe haters should think twice. The old Stargate shows, as much as we all loved them, were full of nonsense like this: just to keep the plot going, credibility was stretched far beyond reasonable levels.

Like when by season 5, pretty much everybody had ZPMs - the Replicators, the Wraith, they even dug one up on Earth back in Moebius, originally possessed by Ra - only in the capital of the Ancients not a single one was found in five years of searches, neither there, nor anywhere else in the galaxy, where apparently even people who didn't even have the ATA gene could find them.

And this wasn't the only stale plot-generating device on either show, SGA or SG-1 (remember Apophis? that's right, who wouldn't when they've had to kill him so many times I don't care to count them... personally I still think he's out there. :-) )

Now what I really appreciate about SGU, so far I didn't see even a hint of rehashing plots like this on the new show. Apparently, all those people calling for the return of the old times refuse to see that, or don't care.

Comment

Atlantis is millions of years younger than the Destiny, isn't it? Doesn't that mean it's more advanced?
                  Well, ok, not all inconsistencies have been resolved as I claimed just a while back. In fact, I have seen several ages for Atlantis and all make it far older than the Destiny. Then, in SGU they keep saying by how much the Destiny predates Atlantis technology.

From Rush's opening monologue: "Destiny. Launched hundreds of thousands years ago. ..."

From SGA pilot, first scene: Puddle Jumper flies toward Atlantis which is later seen leaving Earth, below is written: "Several million years ago". Atlantis looks exactly the same as today.

So, I suppose until somebody releases an official timeline which will actually fit on-screen information, we're just spinning our wheels here.

Besides, I always thought technologies like the communication stones, the Ark of Truth or the Stargates, which were mostly invented before the Ancients left their original galaxy, looked much more advanced than most Atlantis technology, even though they were clearly older. Besides, their supposedly oldest creation in our galaxy, the Dakara device, is really the ultimate machine. If it really rearranges the structure of the universe in a sophisticated enough manner to be able to fill a galaxy with life, it can be safely assumed it can do next to anything. How can a race that built something like that at least several million years ago can get defeated by an enemy as relatively puny as the Wraith in the not-so-distant past is beyond me.

It seems as if the Ancients lost some of their knowledge at some point in their distant past, perhaps during the plague.

Comment

destiny if you want a milk shake it will seek one out for you
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

So... More advanced technology...
                      The Destiny appears to be a bare-bones vessel designed for long term deep space exploration. Atlantis is the pinnacle of Ancient civilization and a centre of research and culture. The Destiny is meant to work mostly by itself while Atlantis is meant to be manned constantly. Two totally different reasons for being and methodologies for building and equipping the vessels, but the fact that Atlantis was inhabited up until ~ 10,000 years ago by the most advanced civilization in several galaxies makes me believe that they'd constantly upgrade it with their latest advances, especially while being at war with the Wraith.
                      And the Ancients were defeated because they were too smart to fight dirty.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

It's a fact that Atlantis has more advanced technology because Destiny predates Atlantis. Atlantis was the newest and most updated technology before the Ancients ascended.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Jansky View Post
                          Well, ok, not all inconsistencies have been resolved as I claimed just a while back. In fact, I have seen several ages for Atlantis and all make it far older than the Destiny. Then, in SGU they keep saying by how much the Destiny predates Atlantis technology.

From Rush's opening monologue: "Destiny. Launched hundreds of thousands years ago. ..."

From SGA pilot, first scene: Puddle Jumper flies toward Atlantis which is later seen leaving Earth, below is written: "Several million years ago". Atlantis looks exactly the same as today.

So, I suppose until somebody releases an official timeline which will actually fit on-screen information, we're just spinning our wheels here.

Ian writes: “Some people in a forum i am in are debating about destiny and atlantis. Destiny is first right? and we know that Atlantis has to be a few million years old, since they wiped out life in the milky way and then restarted it and left for pegasus. So would you be able to give a range of years like Destiny is 30-35 million years old and Atlantis is 10-15 million years old??”

Answer: I’d rather not put a specific date on either (I’ll leave that to Brad or Rob), but I will confirm that, yes, Destiny IS older.
                          http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ts-curveballs/

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                          It's a fact that Atlantis has more advanced technology because Destiny predates Atlantis. Atlantis was the newest and most updated technology before the Ancients ascended.
                          yep
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

In the end I guess it all depends on what the technology is being used for. To give a real life example a computer could be considered more advanced technology than a stone axe, however, I'm not going to use my computer to try and cut down a tree. Same may be true of Destiny and Atlantis. Destiny might be ideally suited to deep space exploration whereas Atlantis may not have been intended to go on many trips through deep space.

Comment

I'll provide an answer once I see the destiny engage a hostile vessel. I have a feeling we are gonna like what we see.

Comment

Working...
                              X