• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close to You (415)

Visit the Episode GuideHEROES SEASON FOUR
    CLOSE TO YOU
    EPISODE NUMBER - 415

Hiro and Ando enter a mental asylum to rescue Mohinder, while Noah targets a woman from Samuel's past to try and capture him. Emma explores a new discovery about her power.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 01 May 2015, 10:23 PM.

I loved the ending of this episode with Hiro and "the gang" teleporting in Noah's home. Can't wait for next week!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
      I loved the ending of this episode with Hiro and "the gang" teleporting in Noah's home. Can't wait for next week!
      Haha, I thought that part was great. Was nice to see a darker side for Emma, though am still unsure if she was being controlled. It is wise to assume that Sylar would have killed the Puppet Man, to acquire his power, then used it on Emma, to lure people to the carnival, so he could kill them. She'd essentially be the cause of many deaths, but not at her own doing.

Nice to have Surresh back with us, and to also have Hiro back. I'm not sure what that dreadlock'd guy was suppose to do to Hiro, but it didn't turn out so well. Nice also to see Matt back, first we've seen him since his stuff with Sylar. I'm still eager to find out whether Sylar has Parkman's abilities too, I'm currently guessing now, as he'd have used such on Samuel by now.
      sigpic
      It's Probin' Time!

Comment

I keep mentioning the pacing this season, but it really has been the difference in terms of the quality of storytelling. As much as it has brought the overall momentum down a few notches (often just short of flowing molasses), there is none of the frenetic chaos that used to be the hallmark of the series. I really get the feeling that the writers have thought the season arc through a bit more than in the past.

That doesn’t mean that this episode was a particularly good one. It just means that I understand the context of these events within the season’s format, and I’m still willing to be patient, despite the continual flaws. When the writers are dedicated to focusing on a handful of plot and character threads per episode, which is a response to one of the more pointed criticisms of the past, then it bears keeping the strengths of the season in mind.

This is a rough episode because the four characters/threads in focus are either mediocre or tedious. Bright spots are few and far between. Probably the best subplot belongs to Matt Parkman, who seemed to be written out once Sylar’s consciousness was ripped out of his body. His struggle to find a purpose and a place makes perfect sense, and it was good to see Grunberg get more material this season. (Though, after seeing Janice’s new haircut, I wouldn’t blame him for running from his family again. That was hideous!)

Unfortunately for Matt, much of his time was spent with Noah, who continues to be stuck in an annoying “emo” character rut, as he has been all season. I have the feeling that the writers have a purpose in mind for Noah, but the rest of the plot threads aren’t sufficiently far enough along to allow Noah’s development to take place. So we’re still forced to listen to him flail around about doing something about Samuel.

Trying to use Vanessa for that purpose was fine to a point, but Noah is still all about the ends justifying the means. Neither Noah nor Samuel gave a damn what Vanessa wanted; they saw her as something to use or possess. In Samuel’s case, it’s portrayed as evidence of his dangerous psychosis, but Noah’s activities were never really examined. It’s as if Noah’s ongoing indecision about his path in life has infected the writers’ treatment of him.

Speaking of one’s path in life, we get a little bit better sense of where Peter is going, and it seems to align with my predictions in the review for the previous episode. Peter could very well be the next leader for the metahumans, especially if they have a place they can call their own, and it would resolve his personal desire to make a difference and atone for past mistakes. I can even see his current acquired ability playing into that eventuality, should he have a dream where he assumes that leadership role.

I would also find it ironic yet fitting if he chose to keep his mother’s ability or otherwise decide to depend on it for guidance. He has been very critical of his mother and her choices, and rightfully so, yet he is willing to take unilateral action based on the information he receives from his oracular dreaming. It’s no different than what he has chastised his mother for doing, and it would be interesting to see him forced to address that hypocrisy. (The upside being that the cliché of romance between Peter and Emma seems to have been avoided.)

As always, the Hiro/Ando subplot was the weakest link. The competence of the asylum’s security force seemed to be proportional to the needs of the story, along with the applications of Ando’s ability. In fact, there has yet to be a solid explanation for how Ando’s ability is supposed to work; it’s been used for a lot more than super-charging other metahumans. Then again, the writers have been inconsistent with the level of Hiro’s control and health all season, too, so why change things now?

Ultimately, this just feels like more stalling. The writers clearly have something in mind for Hiro and Mohinder (and perhaps even Ando), but they need to keep them off to the side for a while. The subplot doesn’t seem to have a reason to exist beyond that purpose. And because it is only mildly amusing in and of itself, Hiro’s portion of the story is just frustrating.

It all boils down to something I’ve been saying again and again this season: the problem is the set of existing characters and the writers’ inability to find exciting new things for them to do within the confines of the status quo of the “Heroes” universe. The best material is connected to the fresh characters. If they get another season, they either have to kill off the dead wood, or sufficiently shift the state of play, so the existing characters have a fresh set of motivations to pursue and interesting to protect.

Comment

1. Interesting to see Matt's inner conflict.

2. Emma going darkside - don't agree with Angela though - Emma going dark is surely preventable. Peter should have explained things 'before' breaking the cello though.

3. Vanessa...not sure where that's going.

4. Peter taking on Samuel...bit of a long shot.
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerilon View Post
            Haha, I thought that part was great. Was nice to see a darker side for Emma, though am still unsure if she was being controlled. It is wise to assume that Sylar would have killed the Puppet Man, to acquire his power, then used it on Emma, to lure people to the carnival, so he could kill them. She'd essentially be the cause of many deaths, but not at her own doing.
            Darker side? Are you on about her summoning pete? Or her going all crazy on him for breaking her chello..?

Originally posted by Aerilon View Post
            Nice to have Surresh back with us, and to also have Hiro back. I'm not sure what that dreadlock'd guy was suppose to do to Hiro, but it didn't turn out so well. Nice also to see Matt back, first we've seen him since his stuff with Sylar. I'm still eager to find out whether Sylar has Parkman's abilities too, I'm currently guessing now, as he'd have used such on Samuel by now.
            On Suresh, i was rather underwhelmed with his entire roll in this season.. Seems he has been almost relegated to a backround character at times.
            As to the dreds guy he seems to show people their memories in a way that makes them either easier to control, or so confused they can't act..

Originally posted by entil2001 View Post
            Trying to use Vanessa for that purpose was fine to a point, but Noah is still all about the ends justifying the means. Neither Noah nor Samuel gave a damn what Vanessa wanted; they saw her as something to use or possess. In Samuel’s case, it’s portrayed as evidence of his dangerous psychosis, but Noah’s activities were never really examined. It’s as if Noah’s ongoing indecision about his path in life has infected the writers’ treatment of him.
            In that way Sam and Noah are too sides of the same coin. THey both seem to not care about what others want or need/feel.. They just DO it.

Originally posted by entil2001 View Post
            As always, the Hiro/Ando subplot was the weakest link. The competence of the asylum’s security force seemed to be proportional to the needs of the story, along with the applications of Ando’s ability. In fact, there has yet to be a solid explanation for how Ando’s ability is supposed to work; it’s been used for a lot more than super-charging other metahumans.
            I liked the whole asylum part. Especially the big dude keeping so good a watch on the drugs he was handing out.. And loved how ando got 'mickied' by his own actions..
            As to his power, he seems to have 2 aspects to it.. One hurling red lightening/electricty out that can short stuff, or possibly even control it, and something that supercharges someone's power..

Comment

Working...
            X