Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Resistance & Other Games: Anyone else fed up of 'online only' games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Resistance & Other Games: Anyone else fed up of 'online only' games?

This is a Stargate thread, but isn't specifically about Stargate Resistance, hence - off topic. Mods, as is their right, may disagree, so this may be moved.

But I just read that Resistance is not going to be playable as a single player experience and, like Stargate Worlds, requires you to play as a team online.

Why?

Seriously, why?

I'm a casual gamer - I do not have TIME to even finish the select few games I already own, I got my 360 free with a mobile phone contract for God's sake. Nevertheless, I do enjoy being able to play games I have an interest in such as Phantasy Star Universe, Resident Evil, Sonic The Hedgehog, Ghostbusters, etc. I would very much like to get a Stargate game and be able to simply enjoy it.

But APPARENTLY I'll have to take the time to subscribe to some kind of internet connection fee and be forced to play with individuals across the world that I have no interest in getting to know. Failing that, sure, I COULD schedule to meet up with some Gateworlders online, but why should I have to? What is wrong with wanting to be able to play the old fashioned way - when I have time and when I want to?

Are we witnissing the death of the single player adventure? Is this a good thing?

Anyone as annoyed about this sorta rubbish as I am?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

there's probably more money, profit and merchandising in multi player games

I don't game so i don't care, but i do hate being told or forced to do things a certain way just because someone else says i have to

If i was ever inclined to game, this fact alone would keep me from even trying
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
      This is a Stargate thread, but isn't specifically about Stargate Resistance, hence - off topic. Mods, as is their right, may disagree, so this may be moved.

But I just read that Resistance is not going to be playable as a single player experience and, like Stargate Worlds, requires you to play as a team online.

Why?

Seriously, why?

I'm a casual gamer - I do not have TIME to even finish the select few games I already own, I got my 360 free with a mobile phone contract for God's sake. Nevertheless, I do enjoy being able to play games I have an interest in such as Phantasy Star Universe, Resident Evil, Sonic The Hedgehog, Ghostbusters, etc. I would very much like to get a Stargate game and be able to simply enjoy it.

But APPARENTLY I'll have to take the time to subscribe to some kind of internet connection fee and be forced to play with individuals across the world that I have no interest in getting to know. Failing that, sure, I COULD schedule to meet up with some Gateworlders online, but why should I have to? What is wrong with wanting to be able to play the old fashioned way - when I have time and when I want to?

Are we witnissing the death of the single player adventure? Is this a good thing?

I agree. I don't feel like buying something that can only be played online with strangers...or even half strangers from this place. I miss the good ol' days of single player...
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

There's probably more reply value in online games of this sort, as opposed to a Start to Finish FPS, where you complete the game and it's pretty much done, besids getting achievements or harder modes.

What I would think would be good is some sort of RPG/FPS Stargate game, like Fallout or Oblivion. Loads of worlds to explore, loads of side-quests and in-depth background on the series.

But, that's totally different to the 15~ minutes games you can play on games like Left 4 Dead & Team Fortress, compared to the hours it might take to complete an entire story on rpg style games.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
          There's probably more reply value in online games of this sort, as opposed to a Start to Finish FPS, where you complete the game and it's pretty much done, besids getting achievements or harder modes.

What I would think would be good is some sort of RPG/FPS Stargate game, like Fallout or Oblivion. Loads of worlds to explore, loads of side-quests and in-depth background on the series.

But, that's totally different to the 15~ minutes games you can play on games like Left 4 Dead & Team Fortress, compared to the hours it might take to complete an entire story on rpg style games.
          But FPS is not limited to that. They can also have multilayer as well much like Novalogic's Delta Force series.
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
            But FPS is not limited to that. They can also have multilayer as well much like Novalogic's Delta Force series.
            That's true, it's a shame Stargate Resistance is only going to be online. It suppose it may have some offline modes, against bots or multiplayer option, but a full story mode would be nice, yeah.

Comment

I agree, I don't like online games. I don't want to have to pay a monthly subscription then feel guilty if I don't use it enough. I don't even play Halo online much, I prefer single player games.
              sigpic

Comment

Why?

Seriously, why?

I have an odd suspicion that if Stargate Resistance does well we may see a single player story line in it.

I am like you I don't care much for online play well online shooters anyway. I am going to give SGR a shot though and hope it is good.

Comment

I'm afraid that they'll never make a game based on a modern series in a format I'll enjoy. I'm terrible at the first person shooter and anything needing strategy. I'm just too old. (sigh) I miss the old King's Quest games, where you had to wander around and collect items, interact with characters, and solve problems that revealed to you the story.

ah, those were the days. In my day, computer games used a keyboard interface because the mouse hadn't been invented. a 4 color monitor was amazing, I mean just a year or two before, most people still plugged their PC's into the old black and white TV set they had in the basement... The game came to you on a floppy disk. Several if it was a really involved game. You'd be at some crucial point, and it would stop, and say "please insert disk 3". King's Quest was cutting edge, utilizing the PC's internal speaker to mimic bird song, the character could walk around on screen in front of, around, and behind objects, the game wasn't just text on a screen like previous games.

Those were the days. You kids don't even know what you have
                  sigpic

Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~iamdragonrider

Comment

heck, i remember when games were only in arcades, so sega and nintendo were MASSIVE inventions since you could game at home. right now the intricacy of my DS is probably bigger and better and faster than a full sized arcade version of a game. I have more computing power in the palm of my hand than i did in a console.

I'm not of the gaming generation either. when i grew up you amused yourself with books and reading and imagination. I don't have this need for constant stimulation.

sigpic

Comment

Word to the OP!

As someone who can only spend so much time online due to real life being very much there in my life, I want to be able to play in my own time and enjoy without the hassle of online stuff.

Originally posted by iamdragonrider View Post
                      Those were the days. You kids don't even know what you have
                      I remember my aunt setting me up with a monitor, a keyboard and some floppy-disks. Oh and a joystick... I loved it. The game was solving small math equations, and the higher the level, the harder they got.

That's about as old school as I can go though... which I'm guessing makes me younger than you.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Why?

Seriously, why?

I agree, MGM should of allowed Bethesda or Bioware to develop a Stargate game, IMO they are the only two companies able to produce a decent single player game these days. (I'd prefer Bethesda but one can't be two picky can one).
                        A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

no

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            Word to the OP!

As someone who can only spend so much time online due to real life being very much there in my life, I want to be able to play in my own time and enjoy without the hassle of online stuff.

I remember my aunt setting me up with a monitor, a keyboard and some floppy-disks. Oh and a joystick... I loved it. The game was solving small math equations, and the higher the level, the harder they got.

That's about as old school as I can go though... which I'm guessing makes me younger than you.
                            Heh. That was from a time when you could never win games. They just got harder and harder. Joysticks, I remeber those! Early primative controllers weren't they? So cool. My brothers used to be way into any sort of flight sim games they could lay their hands on.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            heck, i remember when games were only in arcades, so sega and nintendo were MASSIVE inventions since you could game at home. right now the intricacy of my DS is probably bigger and better and faster than a full sized arcade version of a game. I have more computing power in the palm of my hand than i did in a console.

I'm not of the gaming generation either. when i grew up you amused yourself with books and reading and imagination. I don't have this need for constant stimulation.
                            I remember we got an Intelevision console when we were kids. (Atarii competitor, like Beta to VHS) The paddles were wired to the console, and had little plastic overlays that you slid over a numeric button pad for each game. We thought it was neat. But I also recall that while we played with it some, it was mostly on rainy, foul weather days. And that mom could beat the pants off our scores with her eyes closed She seemed to get more use out of the thing then we did, we were too busy running around outside.

My younger brother is a total gamer now though, he just bought a new PC this fall that caters to gaming, with the souped up hard drive and fancy graphics card to support the heat and energy needs, the glow in the dark keyboard just screams "I never leave my seat even to turn the lights on". He enjoys single player and multi player games. I haven't asked him about Stargate yet. i wouldn't be surprised if he starts playing it though.

I'm a dinosaur, and I've long ago given up that they'll ever again make a game that will make me happy. They stopped doing that the minute most games moved to 3d, first person shooter. Perhaps someday, they'll try to appeal to my generation, but doing so with some gigantic multi world, multi player, multi platform monstronsity is not the way to do it for me. but subscription gaming, multiplayer networking is very popular, and very lucrative, so why should they stop?
                            sigpic

Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~iamdragonrider

Comment

i like portable and 'bottle' games, that might only last a few minutes. if i pull out my DS, sometimes I just need to kill 15 minutes, so i don't want to be tied down to having to be online or playing a game that lasts hours. I don't HAVE hours to spend.

multi player games....nothing I'd even consider buying into.

now if they did a DS game where you solve a puzzle to continue on your mission and make it possibly continuing but with short segments, it might be interesting. Although, thus far, my experience with 'sponsored' games - ones based on existing shows or an element of merchandising, such as Rubiks or M&M's or the like - is that the games suck. The creators seem to interested in making sure the proper symbols and trademarks are represented that the game works themselves are just slapped together. so that experience makes me less likely to try for a 'sponsored' game because they seem to be little more than a long running ad for something.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X