No announcement yet.

The End of Time, Part 2 (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did enjoy this episode. Better than part one.

Bit's I liked:

1. The scene between Wilf and the Doctor where Wilf tries to give him the gun. Very emotional and interesting that all the Doctor's qualms about killing and taking the gun are thrown out the window as soon as he realises the Time lords are involved.
    2. The Master's revenge! Go him!
    3.That mystery Woman though... so many possible identities... my favorite is Romana Hope See see her again!
    4. Wilf being the Doctor's death. It was so simple and unexpected and it worked! Huge emotional impact because of the simplicity of it.
    5. The Doctor's reward: getting to say goodbye. Isn't that the best reward for someone who's going to die? Normally when he regenerates it's so sudden he doesn't get the chance and just has to run with it, but this time he had the time to bid old friends farewell who won't know who you are afterwards.

Didn't like:
    1. Timelords wanting to ascend? RTD, put down the Stargate DVDs....
    2. Micky and Martha. WTF?! No. Just no!
    3. The regeneration. The old series had almost a different style for each doctor, would a bit of variety be too much to ask?
    4. Err... why did the Tardis start falling apart? Though my theory is because the Doctor is trying to fight the regeneration and the Tardis is reacting to the turmoil within him.

But really, a good episode.
    If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
    sigpic

Comment

Well, that was...hmm. Yep.

Great fun, until you stop to think about it. And then you feel a bit cheated and let down. But still good, and I liked the reason for the regeneration.

No longer so sure Matt Smith is going to be a good Doctor, having seen his extremely Ten-esque intro sequence (I'll put it down to post-regen trauma for now), which is somehow more irritating than when Tennant did that kind of stuff. The trailer for the new series doesn't fill me with as much hope as I had when I heard Moffat was taking over.

I had always wondered how the Doctor perceived regeneration, whether each Doctor considers himself a different person or the same person but with different personas and faces. Now I know. Don't think it's quite right, somehow.

I'll be honest, I was actually glad to see Tennant go - I think he overstayed his welcome a bit, for me at least.

Overall, not bad, not brilliant. Bigger isn't always better.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
        Well, that was...hmm. Yep.

Great fun, until you stop to think about it. And then you feel a bit cheated and let down. But still good, and I liked the reason for the regeneration.

No longer so sure Matt Smith is going to be a good Doctor, having seen his extremely Ten-esque intro sequence (I'll put it down to post-regen trauma for now), which is somehow more irritating than when Tennant did that kind of stuff. The trailer for the new series doesn't fill me with as much hope as I had when I heard Moffat was taking over.

I had always wondered how the Doctor perceived regeneration, whether each Doctor considers himself a different person or the same person but with different personas and faces. Now I know. Don't think it's quite right, somehow.

I'll be honest, I was actually glad to see Tennant go - I think he overstayed his welcome a bit, for me at least.

Overall, not bad, not brilliant. Bigger isn't always better.
        I think RTD dropped the ball frankly.

The ep became a David Tennant send off episode, and not a regeneration episode.

Frankly, I'm going to put down the stupid opinion of regeneration that Doc 10 appeared to have down to the fact that he'd become a bit of a tw*t. Egostical and arrogant. Liked himself too much. I highly doubt any of the other Doctor's felt the same - heck Doc 10 even talked about his previous selves as simply being 'him being young' in Time Crash.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
          I think RTD dropped the ball frankly.

The ep became a David Tennant send off episode, and not a regeneration episode.

Frankly, I'm going to put down the stupid opinion of regeneration that Doc 10 appeared to have down to the fact that he'd become a bit of a tw*t. Egostical and arrogant. Liked himself too much. I highly doubt any of the other Doctor's felt the same - heck Doc 10 even talked about his previous selves as simply being 'him being young' in Time Crash.
          I expected to be cheering when he regenerated - I'm sick of the sight (and sound) of David Tennant, especially after the last week. Yes, I quite liked him as the Doctor (thought Eccleston was better though), yes, I appreciate he may well become as iconic a Doctor to current viewers as Tom Baker was after his tenure, but come on!

I think you're right about Ten's very high opinion of himself.

Seems that regeneration is like taking off a plaster, it hurts less if you do it quickly.
          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
          sigpic
          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

As I mentioned earlier, this time round it seemed different. Normally, the impression I got was that they regenerate, get a new body, new feelings and emotions and what not, but are essentially the same person.

Now it makes it seem as though, after each regeneration, its a totally new person, but with the same memories. That being the case, there ain't nothing to stop the Doctor regenerating into an evil dictator at some point. If every regeneration makes him 'new', there is nothing to say he is always going to be good.

The Timelords got arrogant, some would say Tennant's doctor did too (he screwed around on Mars). Suffice to say, whatever he did, he was still percieved as good. He wanted to save the lives of the people on mars, where the timelords just seem hell bent on total destruction. Obviously lost their way I think. They picked up arms, and became the one thing they were trying to fight. They eventually met their doom.

I am curious though, half of the species the doctor was talking to the master about, anyone got any info on them?

I'm still amazed that the doctor fell / jumped off a space ship, fell through a glass window, and survived. Tough huh? I actually thought (for a split second) that he was going to die there and then, was going to shoot the master, and then die, then regenerate. Then when he got up, I actually thought he might shoot himself, cause he didn't want to go make choices.

I do ponder though, did the master save the doctor, or did he just want revenge? There was nothing to stop him throwing the doctor aside first, but he actually told him to move.
            sigpic
            It's Probin' Time!

Comment

I expected to be cheering when he regenerated - I'm sick of the sight (and sound) of David Tennant, especially after the last week. Yes, I quite liked him as the Doctor (thought Eccleston was better though), yes, I appreciate he may well become as iconic a Doctor to current viewers as Tom Baker was after his tenure, but come on!

I think you're right about Ten's very high opinion of himself.

Seems that regeneration is like taking off a plaster, it hurts less if you do it quickly.
              I kinda wish he HAD actually regenerated in Journey's End. Basically these Specials just dragged out the inevitable in a very annoying fashion.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PMN1 View Post
                Maybe its meant to be a three parter when all the unanswered questions get answered....
                Dream on Love, dream on

Comment

Martha married MICKEY!?! Ummm, wtf. What happened to that nice Tom Milligan that she was happily engaged to?

The Doctor going to see Rose the day before she met Nine was sweet. I kept hoping for an Eccleston cameo, but noooooo.

Donna's end is bittersweet.

The Jack/Frame scene was cute, but basically confirms my worst fears that there will be no emotional fallout from CoE on Jack. And, ok, the "I know you killed you grandson and your lover died and your daughter hates you but mansex with Russell Tovey cures all" thing is a bit lame. God, I hope Tovey stays on his current, awesome show and doesn't join TW.

Honestly, I was underwhelmed and not at all sorry to see Ten/RTD go. I just wish he'd gtfo of TW as well.
                  Originally posted by Callista
                  Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                  Originally posted by HPMom
                  She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Really good send off to the tenth doctor

some complain that it was overblown, that the regeneration was not like the others. That it was so self absorbed. Why should this doctor be more important?

Well, I say that it was great to see the a doctor show so much emotion, show that each doctor is different as they are the same. I love the fact that he said regeneration is like death. It means he's not just talking about himself, but his previous incarnations as well.

Also, sorry, but the fact that there was ascension in the episode does not necessarily mean he was watching Stargate. Sorry. Maybe, but maybe not. It kind of makes sense that if you're going to end time and existance, you youself don't want to go with it? Right? Hell, Star Trek has used the higher plain of existance storys before too. And i'm sure other works of fiction have used it in some variety.

Btw, Mr Smith being like Tennent at the end of the ep, makes sense. He's just regenerated and so may have some residual traits before his new personality comes through. Maybe.

Anyways, great ep. We'll miss you Mr Tennent

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
                    Lister: 'Why not?'
                    Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
                    Cat: 'Can we see him?'
                    Rimmer: 'See who?'
                    Cat: 'The king.'
                    Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
                    Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
                    Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

Comment

So was I to be honest.

A bit of trivia (from my mum actually) David Tennant has been on TV and Radio 75 times over the xmas period. That's excessive, infact someone Twittered "Is David Tennant dead/ he hasn't been on TV for at least 30 mins" He's been taking Media Whore lessons from John Barrowman

Comment

Damn beautiful episode. Loved it to bits.

I can forgive the Time Lords staying dead because of the revelation of what really happened during the Time War. That one was kept pretty nicely under wraps. and is Timothy Dalton now officially the Rassilon of Rassilon?
                        The Master sacrificing himself for a double revenge/saving the Doctor's life was beautiful.
                        The whole conversation on board the Vin Vochi ship between the Doctor and Wilf was made of sheer awesomeness - esp. the bit when the Doctor finally did take the gun. That's when I started crying like a baby and it didn;t stop til the end of the episode, haha.
                        The Doctor's "reward" was completely and utterly sweet.
                        I like it that we didn't get a confirmation of who the woman in white actually was!
                        I even enjoyed Matt Smith's scene, gasp! "what was I doing - oh, yes, crashing!" haha.

minor complaint - RTD, you made the Doctor kiss every female companion available, would it really hurt you to make my miserable slasher soul one kiss between Ten and Jack? Bah!

major complaint - Martha and Mickey. No, just no. Feels way too much like either "we wanted to revisit every companion but had no idea what to do with either, so let's throw them in together" or b)getting rid of them. Or both. It just feels so disrespectful, especially for Martha. I wouldn't have minded if there was some sort of a plot build up for it, if it didn't feel so contrived. I did love her hair though!
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Smegger56 View Post

Btw, Mr Smith being like Tennent at the end of the ep, makes sense. He's just regenerated and so may have some residual traits before his new personality comes through. Maybe.
                          I thought that. It's like DT used some of Eccleston's lines in Christmas Invasion; 'And it is going to be...Fantastic!'
                          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Smegger56 View Post
                            That's true, Dr 10 had some of Dr 9's trait's at the end of his regenerations

Comment

So, previous Doctors have accepted, even welcomed regeneration, given the circumstances. Not Ten. Could that be why it was so violent? Because it was a slow death, was he actively fighting against it, holding on to see everyone who mattered to him first, but with the regen energy building up inside him almost like it's under pressure?

Arrogance is nothing new for the Doctor. There's been a streak of it through his entire life, some Doctors just exemplify it more than others (Six, Three, One even...and Ten seems to have just about topped the list since Waters of Mars).

As with all other major episodes, I'll have to watch it again to cement my opinion. I think there was a lot to like about EoT2, but also a lot to grumble about. All that build up, and Gallifrey returns for, what, ten minutes? I really hope it isn't as cut and dry as that - maybe a few Time Lords jumped ship in TARDISes as soon as it reappeared?

FOB: Agreed, Journey's End would have been the perfect time for a regeneration. I think there was just too much going on in that story to fit in an entire new Doctor though, and Moffat presumably needs a lot of time to get his Who up and running.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                                I can forgive the Time Lords staying dead because of the revelation of what really happened during the Time War.
                                Killing off all Timelords is one thing, but..

The Doctor and Master escaped. We know how the Doctor did it, we don't know about the Master. Either way, I don't see why we can't have a few other rouge timelords out there somewhere, either with their memories stored in a watch, or just out and around in the galaxy.

The Face of Bo said that the Doctor isn't the last of his kind. I don't know why, but I ain't willing to accept that Bo was on about ONLY the Master. The number of times the Doctor has said "no others survived, I'd know".. Uhm, yeah, cause he knew about the Master, and he knew about all the Daleks that keep popping up, even though they're suppose to be locked away in time too..

He obviously isn't all knowing. I think it would be nice to see a few more surviving timelords. They can't all be evil, even many of those he killed (for better or for worse) I doubt all were corrupt.

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                                I like it that we didn't get a confirmation of who the woman in white actually was!
                                Even though we'll never know. My money is on his mother.
                                sigpic
                                It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Working...
                                X