The End of Time, Part 2 (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what a load of crap.

Sorry but RTD has really done it this time for me, I'll elaborate later, gonna go get drunk now.

Comment

I dunno if Im happy or sad about that.... I was really looking forward to it...
      Spoiler:
      but the timelords were just sent off very easily... though I loved how it explained why the master is so drummed in the head.... The whole martha micky thing was like WTF?!... Possible something to bring into torchwood... and the thing with jack was hilarious... I loved that the lord president was rassilon

And who was yer one like?! The time lord lady that wilf was seeing... the doctor recognised her.. He has mentioned that he's had family before.. a wife... children etc.. Maybe... or it could have been the rani? its hinted at that she and doctor had a previous relationship not to mention the timewar seems to have messed everyone up...

Im not sure was I happy or sad with how the doctor died... the thing about the radiation and a cubicle was a bit stupid I thought..... but I really liked how he chose to die to save wilf...
      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

I loved it. The Doctor Should die saving a single person; not the whole universe, just one friend. I loved the little Cactus, I loved Verity Newman, I was happy to see Donna happy, I loved the WORST RESCUE EVER and I loved the explanation for the Master's madness.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post

Furthermore, what the bloody hell was with the Doctor visiting his most recent friends and seeing them alright? He's NEVER needed to do that before.
        True, but he never 'died' alone before. And he never seemed to fight the regeneration so hard; I think he was tring to have extra time as 'himself'. And there doesn't need to be a precedent - after all, each Doctor is a different person as much as he is the same.

Furthermore, I think they cheaped the idea of regeneration by suggesting that the next doctor is not as much of the Doctor as the current Doctor is.
        Eh?
        Oh and RTD has obviously been watching Stargate - Now the Timelords want to ASCEND! Dear me. I somehow doubt 'the others' would be happy with that.

Btw - was it just me, or did the Doctor call the Lord President 'Rassilon'?
        Its as likely that RTD read a '50s Asimov story called "the Last Question" or that he watched Babylon 5. There's nothing new under the sun

And no, it wasnt just you.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Aerilon View Post
          If it'll be that the Time Lords do turn out to be bad guys come next season, I can't see how that is going to work. They are the masters of space and time, correct? That being the case, if they're going to hunt the Doctor next series, they'd essentially know where he is going to be, and when.
          ummm... Doctors # 2 and # 3 era reboot??
          It worked then just fine..
          And I think Doctor # 4's era made some sort of compromise about how the whole Time Lord's were basically forced to begin appreciating the Doctor for rescuing them during some of the most impossible odds. It has happened before and might happen again.. just a *wild* thought.

He wont have time to stop off at random planets picking up companions and solving problems, cause the timelords will be right behind him.
          well that little *problem* of the Doctor being tracked down or hunted never stopped the companions from coming aboard..

Depending upon how they return, I think, come the closure of the episode, the timelords will allow the Doctor to live (as he'll have regenerated) but they'll disown him, and will make it clear that he isn't welcome on Gallifrey, or wherever it is they're hiding now.
          Not sure if that will be a choice.. but the Time Lords have never really been on the Doctor's side of viewing the rest of the universe -- time and space wise. Besides, try to remember the Doctor's roots -- and from whence the TARDIS came from. The Doctor basically stole the TARDIS from Gallifrey. And actually, I'm not sure if stolen would be a correct term, even tho that is what the Doctor keeps saying.

This particular TARDIS is a type 40 (type forte in some translations =).
          Before the series began, this specific TARDIS was originally sitting in a garbage dump already decommissioned and waiting for permanent disposal (destruction). It was abandoned in a sense, and the Doctor got curious, went inside and took off with it. Somehow, he ended up with the imprint of the operator assigned to that TARDIS, and the rest became history.

So, ever since those fateful days from the very beginnings of the Doctor's journeys, he hasn't exactly been disowned, but was more of a fugitive --always on the run from his own people-- for being a thief. That essentially has always been the core roots of the DOCTOR WHO series.

Naturally, he might not be welcomed back to Gallifrey with open arms, but someone or something -- somewhere in time and space has always been guarding over the Doctor and always bringing him into places where he's been needed the most. It's never been clear if the Time Lords were actually responsible or if the TARDIS itself was a sentient being and therefore guardian over Time and Space -- higher than the mere Time Lords of Gallifrey.

It will be interesting to see how the stories pan out from here on in, with the Doctor fighting the Master or some other creature in Time and Space. I think when he attended the Academy and failed to graduate properly, he was unable to regenerate. But once he entered the TARDIS, the higher powers that be and have guarded over him, gave him the ability to become immortal to a point, by regeneration. Yes, it will be sad to see David Tennant's Doctor #10's cycle close, but this series has a way of being creative enough to find ways of keeping the Doctor alive, in whatever actor or appearance he has turned up into.

Comment

*Gropes for another tissue*

what can I say,

The conclusion of Part One wasn't as good as it could have been but after that, the Dr's 'death' was very well done.

Hands up who didn't see the Deux Ex Machina coming

The whole conclusion was a bit pants IMO

But the whole Pre death/visiting companions/saying goodbye to Wilf was brilliant, fantastically acted by David Tennant and Bernard Cribbins.

So we still haven't really got a conclusion to the Time War (See first comment)

Didn't see it being Wilf that knocked four times.

Ahhhh, Jack and Midshipman Frame got together (There's gonna be some angry Jack/Ianto shippers out there)

I think I blubbed the most over Jessica Hynes character and Wilf's final goodbye

So questions left over

Was Timothy Dalton Rassilon?

Was that female Timelord/Wilf's vision Romana?

Mickey and Martha WTF??? I thought she married Tom, or was that an AU Mickey and Martha?

I loved the Doctor giving Donna that lottery ticket and borrowing the money from Donna's Dad.

All in all, it was a lot better than part one.

Oh, one more thought, do you think anyone will show this to George Lucas? At least RTD admitted, kind of, that the battle sequence was based on Star Wars

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post
              And was it just me, or was that the Resurrection Gauntlet from Torchwood that Rasslon was using?
              That's what it was!! I knew I'd seen it somewhere before

Comment

I loved that episode .

Part One was okay, but too cheesy. Part 2 I really enjoyed.
                I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

What an episode! Quite a good send off for David Tennant. For a bit at the end, didnt think he would regenerate, because the action finished 15mins before it finished, but I really liked that he went to see all his companions as one last kind of like goodbye (Did he save Martha and Mickey and Sarah Janes son?).
                  Didnt rerally understand the whole regeneration bit at the end because wasnt he meant to die?, or maybe just meant he had to regenerate again. But overall a good episode

I kind of agree that Matt Smith was kind of trying to be David Tennant at the end with his small bit, it seemed a bit similar, but Im going to wait for the new series to see if I like him.

New series Spring 2010
                  Going to have to wait and see what the new doctors like
                  Trailer looks quite good
                  Spoiler:
                  Daleks coming back though, kind of thought they were finished with Davros, but going to have to wait and see
                  Also saw the Weeping Angels which should be good

Cant wait
                  But I think Im going to miss David Tennant
                  Last edited by Teddybrown; 01 January 2010, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Disappointing....

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                      EDIT:

Spoiler:

Oh and RTD has obviously been watching Stargate - Now the Timelords want to ASCEND! Dear me. I somehow doubt 'the others' would be happy with that.
                      I thought of this too. Someone mentioned the Timelords being like the Ancients in another post, and my mind went back to it
                      Timelord ascension
                      Last edited by Teddybrown; 01 January 2010, 12:01 PM.

Comment

It was alright, far better than part 1 and while perhaps a little overblown I enjoyed the end with the Doctor saying his goodbyes than the earlier part dealing with the Time Lord who were I felt dealt with too easily.

And I think FOB’s right, for all RTD’s mocking of Stargate he had been watching and taking notes. I know that energy beings are hardly original ideas but they used the exact same terms in this ep as Stargate.

Comment

After seen the 2010 preview

Spoiler:
                          THE WEEPING ANGELS ARE BACK!!!

Vampires?? (Cashing in on Twilight anyone?)
                          Daleks (but I got the impression that it was a 'dud' dalek

I'm really looking forward to Matt Smith's Doctor

Comment

Maybe its meant to be a three parter when all the unanswered questions get answered....

Comment

okay, I haven't seen the eppy yet (no access to the main BBC network). However...

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                              The gun part was pointless. "Oh no, the Doctor's going to have to shoot someone!" and then he doesn't. That part didn't even make any sense to me.

"Oh no he's going to shoot James Bond!" Wait a second. That wont help anything! It's the Master he's going to have to shoot if anything, stop leaping back and forth.

And then he shoots the Crystal device, which a Sonic Screwdriver could have achieved anyway.
                              awww now, what fun would that be..? Since I'm only going by what has been discussed thus far, had he used the sonic screwdriver, he probably would have been criticized for getting out of the situation too easily with that, as he's been accused of in the past. And the Doctor usually uses whatever tools he has available at that immediate moment and improvises.

Was a good episode though, what a way for Tennant to go. Not so sure why the Tardis is falling apart though, the Doctor has regenerated before without destroying the Tardis.
                              I doubt if the TARDIS is falling apart, tho for newbies, it makes a good suspense build-up.. In earlier Doctor versions, the TARDIS usually redecorates or remodels itself for the new Doctor persona. In Tom Baker's era (DW#4), there were 2 console rooms shown -- one was old and closed down for the TARDIS making its upgrading of it. The newer console room was the White room version -- having a very modern wall interior and the console itself changing shape for nearly each new season. Any time something different suddenly appeared, it was basically explained as "Oh, that's new.."
                              and generally accepted as part of the storyline or upgrading process.

So, even tho I have another day to go before seeing it tomorrow night, I'm going to guess that viewers are actually witnessing the TARDIS revamping its interior -- in action. And no, this doesn't ruin not seeing the ep yet, because I think by now, the Doctor's stories have grown on me enough to know what to expect.. high camp (the U.K.'s generic humor dept) -- a spoof to all that ever could be for sci-fi programs anywhere.

Comment

Star Wars meets Star Gate (with a little bit of Being Human thrown in...)

Comment

Working...
                                X