No announcement yet.

Some Corner of a Foreign Field (SGA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, guys! Great to know you're still reading.

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    Spoiler:
    You probably meant meteors / meteoroids, not asteroids, in the opening paragraph. Asteroids are space bodies with a diameter from 10 meters upwards. A space rock with a diameter of 10 meters weights around 400 tons; at high velocity its impact into a planet produces a yield of 15 megatons, roughly equal to the fifth most powerful thermonuclear bomb ever detonated. I have no idea what it would do to a 304, but multiple impacts by 400 ton rocks at high velocity would do much more than mere holes in the hull.
    Spoiler:
    Meteoroids, the small kind, is what I had in mind. I just didn't know there was a distinction. But error's been corrected now, so thanks! I think I had this idea from one of the SGA episodes where they're moving Atlantis somewhere through - I think - an asteroid field, and one of the towers get hit. Oh well, I'll make sure to double-check my facts next time.
    "If I should die, think only this of me: / That there's some corner of a foreign field / That is forever [Earth]."
    Earth is gone, but Atlantis must survive... Apoca!fic. Post-Season 5. John/Sam.

Comment

That's okay, you have me for that
      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

It's alive! *cue some zombie-esque music right here*

Since it's been so long since my last update, I thought I'd revive the thread with some news.

1. Chapters 10-17 have seen some minor and major edits in the past six months, mostly to adapt to the future plot, but also some retouching on things I wasn't satisfied with (dialogue, exposition, etc.)

2. Chapter 19 is currently on its sixth rewrite, which, safe to say, means that the reason for its lateness is every author's dreaded writer's block... Just to repeat myself, though: there will be closure and I will finish this story. I've finally gotten some vacation time, so I expect to have much more spare time and motivation to write.

3. Lastly, I just want to thank everyone who's read SCOAFF and sent encouragements in the past six months. Every little helps and knowing that you're still reading is a huge inspiration. To reward you for your patience, check out the cover for the next chapter:

Spoiler:

Have a great weekend!
        "If I should die, think only this of me: / That there's some corner of a foreign field / That is forever [Earth]."

Comment

Chapter 19 is up!

The link to the cover photo can be found here.

Comment

Chapter 20 is up!

Link to cover photo is here.
            Last edited by neela; 01 November 2013, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Chapter 21 is up!

Comment

THE UPDATES ARE COMING

Although there have always been gaps between when chapters are posted, I just wanted to explain why there is a gap in particular between chapter 21 and 22. (It is actually good news, kinda!)

The story of SCOAFF has now gotten to the point where everything is coming together. All threads are interweaving and some things will finally come to fruition. Yes, we are close to the climax. In that regard, I am taking extra time and effort to not only write chapter 22, but chapter 23 and 24 as well (!). The reason is simply this: I want to make sure nothing is overlooked or forgotten.

SCOAFF turned into a much larger scale than I'd originally planned, and there've been many new additions over the years, so I'm going back to make sure everything is in place for the big finale. That said, expect to see this story come to a close - hopefully within months.

Per today, I have finished chapter 22 and part 1 of chapter 23. What remains before I start posting to ff.net is part 2 (and possibly part 3) of chapter 23. (Yeah, it'll be a biggie.) The good news, which I was talking about above, is that once I'm done, you'll not only get one update but at least three in a short amount of time! No more waiting for months in-between chapters...

Anyway, hope you'll enjoy what's coming, and come back to check this forum when the chapters start coming.

Comment

Chapter 22 is up!

Spoiler:

"… Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness…"

Also, expect to see the next installments sooner rather than later! (The next three chapters are already written and is currently with the beta reader...)

Comment

Chapter 23, Part 1 is up!

Edit: COVER PHOTO
                    Last edited by neela; 12 June 2014, 05:48 AM.

Comment

To those wondering, this story is by all means, incredibly badass. Very well written, believable reactions from just about everyone, and an apocafic only in the sense of these characters climbing up from the very bottom.

Take time to read this, it's a loooong story, but very very worth it.
                      Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                      Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Chapter 23, part 2 is up!

Edit: Cover photo can be found here.
                        Last edited by neela; 03 July 2014, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Chapter 23, part 3 is up!

Cover photo can be found here.

Comment

Chapter 24 is up!

Spoiler:
                            COVER PHOTO
                            "Things never really end, they just…transform into something else."

Only the epilogue left...
                            Last edited by neela; 04 October 2014, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I'm still around Neela My job has kept me busy and mentally drained, but the new year is upswinging me a lot.

Stay tuned folks, this story is kickass
                              Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                              Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                              Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                                I'm still around Neela My job has kept me busy and mentally drained, but the new year is upswinging me a lot.

Stay tuned folks, this story is kickass
                                Thanks for the support, Aragon101.

As for an update on the story: I'm currently working on the epilogue, which has about three or four scenes left to be written. Sorry it's taking so long. I was stuck in one mindset during writing for a long time before I realized that path wouldn't work the way I wanted it to, and thus I changed tracks... It's annoying, since I'd written nearly 10k in the previous version of the epilogue, but that's the way it is sometimes.

So, to make up for the long wait, here are a few teasers to keep you company until the final epilogue arrives:

TEASER 1:
                                Spoiler:
                                John stirred awake to the sound of his door closing. Squinting, his mind fuddled, he looked up. Sam was but a silhouette against the backdrop of silver moonlight streaming in from the window behind her. Even without seeing her face clearly, he could see her hesitate.

He shifted on the bed so that he could face her. “You okay?”

“… No.” Her voice was low, vulnerable, hurting.

Something within him responded automatically. John sat up, skin turning cold as the sheets fell down to his waist. He then scooted sideways and patted the empty spot beside him, rubbing the last traces of sleep from his eyes.

Sam wavered but accepted his invitation in the end. Although fully dressed, she was shivering when she sat down. Hesitating only for a moment, John pulled her close and covered her with one of his sheets.

The rough material of her uniform chafed his bare skin, but John didn’t care. As she laid her head on his shoulder, sniffling loudly several times in a poor attempt to restrain her shuddering sob, he hugged her tightly and kissed her brow. It was the best he could do. Words, especially today of all days, failed him.

John held her until Sam had cried herself to exhaustion, and then left her on his bed to fetch a glass of water. As he drank it, he found an old, faded picture he’d kept hidden away in his wallet for a long time and held it up in the ray of moonlight from the window.

Two young boys and their father grinned back at him, standing on the putting green with their putters proudly in their hands. The father had his hands on either boy’s shoulder. Staring at it now, John could almost remember the sense of security that hand had once brought.

His chest aching oddly, John brushed his thumb across the taller boy’s face and wondered if this was how Sam felt when she thought of her lost brother.

Then, unable to look at it anymore, John put the picture back in his wallet and found his way back to Sam and her soothing warmth.

Sleep didn’t find him easily again that night, but at least she was there with him. At least he wasn’t alone.

TEASER 2:
                                Spoiler:
                                Another loud ping issued from Woolsey’s computer and the man noted the action with a deep sigh.

“I know the feeling,” Caldwell said simply, glancing up from his own laptop computer.

“I am tempted to implement a restriction on how many messages the science department can send each day.” Rolling his eyes, Woolsey turned back to the laptop in front of him. “Anyway, back to the matter at hand… How serious is it?”

“Overall?” Caldwell did the calculations in his head. “We’re looking at about 10 % drop in military personnel since December. That’s on top of those who are undergoing medical and psychological treatment, serving disciplinary actions or have requested administrative discharges. Overall, it leaves us at about 70 % combat effectiveness.”

Woolsey’s eyes widened. “So many have decided to quit?”

I’d rather have half our original strength than have soldiers in our ranks that refuse to follow direct orders, Caldwell thought quietly. Aloud, he said, “We’ll make do for now. In the near future, however, we should consider recruiting off world. This ‘reproduction’ policy you’ve condoned won’t bring enough new blood into our ranks for at least two decades. In fact, it’ll bring our combat effectiveness even further down once the female soldiers go off on maternity leave.”

Caldwell resisted the urge to fist his hand in annoyance. Even though he knew the Council’s reproduction policy was the only way to go if they were to survive as a society, he didn’t like the military being weakened like this. It was just another reminder that they were in a cluster**** without Earth to back them up.

On the plus side, though, it meant the scientists were beginning to research ways to make the soldiers more efficient despite low numbers, the latest project being improved body armour based on Vanir suit designs.

Sighing, Caldwell said, “Bringing in recruits now would shorten that to two years. In addition, we should train everyone on this base in the use of weaponry and basic tactics. Even the scientists and politicians should be able to defend this base from any potential incursions.”

The Genii and the Travelers might be our allies and train with us for now, but history should warn us to be prepared for anything, including a double-cross. Caldwell knew that thought wouldn’t sit well with Carter and Sheppard, but he was a pragmatic at heart and he had seniority. They would listen to him.

“I see,” Woolsey said, nodding grimly. “I’ll bring the topic up on the next council meeting. There will be some protests, I’m sure, but I’ll stand behind your decision one hundred per cent. Caution has served us well in the past, as you and Colonel Carter’s actions against the Wraith proved.” (...)

Comment

Working...
                                X