Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Default Re: Some Corner of a Foreign Field (SGA)

Last edited by neela; July 4th, 2014 at 12:38 AM.
    "If I should die, think only this of me: / That there's some corner of a foreign field / That is forever [Earth]."
    Earth is gone, but Atlantis must survive... Apoca!fic. Post-Season 5. John/Sam.

"If I should die, think only this of me: / That there's some corner of a foreign field / That is forever [Earth]."

Chapter 24 is up!

Spoiler:
    COVER PHOTO
    "Things never really end, they just…transform into something else."

Only the epilogue left...
    Last edited by neela; October 4th, 2014 at 05:13 PM.

I'm still around Neela My job has kept me busy and mentally drained, but the new year is upswinging me a lot.

Stay tuned folks, this story is kickass
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostle's Message Redux
    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
    Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Quote Originally Posted by Aragon101 View Post
    I'm still around Neela My job has kept me busy and mentally drained, but the new year is upswinging me a lot.

Stay tuned folks, this story is kickass
    Thanks for the support, Aragon101.

As for an update on the story: I'm currently working on the epilogue, which has about three or four scenes left to be written. Sorry it's taking so long. I was stuck in one mindset during writing for a long time before I realized that path wouldn't work the way I wanted it to, and thus I changed tracks... It's annoying, since I'd written nearly 10k in the previous version of the epilogue, but that's the way it is sometimes.

So, to make up for the long wait, here are a few teasers to keep you company until the final epilogue arrives:

TEASER 1:
    Spoiler:
    John stirred awake to the sound of his door closing. Squinting, his mind fuddled, he looked up. Sam was but a silhouette against the backdrop of silver moonlight streaming in from the window behind her. Even without seeing her face clearly, he could see her hesitate.

He shifted on the bed so that he could face her. “You okay?”

“… No.” Her voice was low, vulnerable, hurting.

Something within him responded automatically. John sat up, skin turning cold as the sheets fell down to his waist. He then scooted sideways and patted the empty spot beside him, rubbing the last traces of sleep from his eyes.

Sam wavered but accepted his invitation in the end. Although fully dressed, she was shivering when she sat down. Hesitating only for a moment, John pulled her close and covered her with one of his sheets.

The rough material of her uniform chafed his bare skin, but John didn’t care. As she laid her head on his shoulder, sniffling loudly several times in a poor attempt to restrain her shuddering sob, he hugged her tightly and kissed her brow. It was the best he could do. Words, especially today of all days, failed him.

John held her until Sam had cried herself to exhaustion, and then left her on his bed to fetch a glass of water. As he drank it, he found an old, faded picture he’d kept hidden away in his wallet for a long time and held it up in the ray of moonlight from the window.

Two young boys and their father grinned back at him, standing on the putting green with their putters proudly in their hands. The father had his hands on either boy’s shoulder. Staring at it now, John could almost remember the sense of security that hand had once brought.

His chest aching oddly, John brushed his thumb across the taller boy’s face and wondered if this was how Sam felt when she thought of her lost brother.

Then, unable to look at it anymore, John put the picture back in his wallet and found his way back to Sam and her soothing warmth.

Sleep didn’t find him easily again that night, but at least she was there with him. At least he wasn’t alone.

TEASER 2:
    Spoiler:
    Another loud ping issued from Woolsey’s computer and the man noted the action with a deep sigh.

“I know the feeling,” Caldwell said simply, glancing up from his own laptop computer.

“I am tempted to implement a restriction on how many messages the science department can send each day.” Rolling his eyes, Woolsey turned back to the laptop in front of him. “Anyway, back to the matter at hand… How serious is it?”

“Overall?” Caldwell did the calculations in his head. “We’re looking at about 10 % drop in military personnel since December. That’s on top of those who are undergoing medical and psychological treatment, serving disciplinary actions or have requested administrative discharges. Overall, it leaves us at about 70 % combat effectiveness.”

Woolsey’s eyes widened. “So many have decided to quit?”

I’d rather have half our original strength than have soldiers in our ranks that refuse to follow direct orders, Caldwell thought quietly. Aloud, he said, “We’ll make do for now. In the near future, however, we should consider recruiting off world. This ‘reproduction’ policy you’ve condoned won’t bring enough new blood into our ranks for at least two decades. In fact, it’ll bring our combat effectiveness even further down once the female soldiers go off on maternity leave.”

Caldwell resisted the urge to fist his hand in annoyance. Even though he knew the Council’s reproduction policy was the only way to go if they were to survive as a society, he didn’t like the military being weakened like this. It was just another reminder that they were in a cluster**** without Earth to back them up.

On the plus side, though, it meant the scientists were beginning to research ways to make the soldiers more efficient despite low numbers, the latest project being improved body armour based on Vanir suit designs.

Sighing, Caldwell said, “Bringing in recruits now would shorten that to two years. In addition, we should train everyone on this base in the use of weaponry and basic tactics. Even the scientists and politicians should be able to defend this base from any potential incursions.”

The Genii and the Travelers might be our allies and train with us for now, but history should warn us to be prepared for anything, including a double-cross. Caldwell knew that thought wouldn’t sit well with Carter and Sheppard, but he was a pragmatic at heart and he had seniority. They would listen to him.

“I see,” Woolsey said, nodding grimly. “I’ll bring the topic up on the next council meeting. There will be some protests, I’m sure, but I’ll stand behind your decision one hundred per cent. Caution has served us well in the past, as you and Colonel Carter’s actions against the Wraith proved.” (...)

Forgot to update this thread back in January...

Epilogue, part 1 is up! (Yay!)

Working on part 2 now, which I actually thought would be up by now, but suddenly had to put on the back burner when I realized I'd overlooked something from an earlier chapter that made half the scenes in that part of the epilogue completely void... So, I'm currently revising and I'll let you know when part 2 is done (and the story is finally complete...)

Epilogue, part 2 is up!

And, what's this? A bonus is also up!

Finally! It's been a really, really long journey, but the story's finished. Words cannot describe how satisfied and relieved I am now. Hopefully you've all enjoyed it.

Now, I'm going to celebrate by doing absolutely nothing the rest of the night.

For those who might like to download this story for future reading (or re-reading), I've made these handy PDFs:

The whole shebang: Some Corner of a Foreign Field

Split into parts:
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4

You can even get an EPUB version: here

(Note that the organization is different than how the story's been posted on AO3 and ff.net. I've divided into smaller chapters so that it might be easier to find your way as you read the whole thing.)

Let me know if there's something wrong with the download!

By the way, if you'd like to know my most frequently occurring words in the story... This image says more than enough:
    Spoiler:
    Skjermbilde 2015-03-03 kl. 22.53.42.jpg
    (I feel like there's a poignant message here, especially considering the theme of the story - grief - but next time, I'm banning the word 'eyes' and 'back'.)

PLEASE NOTE: Any revisions done to the story after March 2015, has not been included in these files. You'll have to visit FF or AO3 to see the updated chapters. For instance, I recently did some major revision to chapter 5 (Day 26) and rewrote a scene in chapter 7 (Day 58).
    Last edited by neela; September 6th, 2015 at 02:43 AM.

Some Corner of a Foreign Field can now be found on Inkitt. There's a contest going on, so if you'd enjoyed the story, why not give it the thumbs up?

I've only recently discovered this fic, and I just wanted to say. I LOVE IT. Currently on chapter 16 at the moment. I'm either reading it on my laptop at home, or on my phone when I'm out. I'm hooked. It's so good.

Gosh, so happy that you’re enjoying the story! Thanks so much for letting me know. :smile: Nice to hear that it’s still being read and enjoyed after all this time. It was a big part of my life at one point, and both heart-wrenching and not when the story came to an end. Kinda makes me want to dive right back into the writing again, even if I barely have the time anymore. :sweatdrop: Anyway, thanks again for the shout-out! Hope you’ll enjoy the rest of the story too.