The End of Time, Part 1 (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
    Runaway Bride was first. Donna was his first post-Rose companion. AND THE BEST!!!!
    Martha Jones FTW! (IMO)

But I just can't see Wilf as not being human, I think the Doctor is mega paranoid, which is understandable because of his current situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
      ...This episode was very much Doctor Who, and a good episode, the return of the time lords was indeed shocking
      ...but this is Doctor Who.
      I wasn't shocked, but found it more intriguing -- as this is "Doctor Who" and anything can happen..

Originally posted by PMN1 View Post
      Just what the universe needs, another lunatic Time Lord, though having seen the trailers, some of the others don't seem to be entirely all there.
      There were many eps in *classic* DWho where the Doctor's best defense was to appear insane. Of course, one had to see the eps to figure out whether it was just temporary insanity or a desperato plot to save his own life.

The Good
      >Donna! I love you! Please get to use some of that knowledge in your mind!
      >The TARDIS in stained glass.
      ditto to Donna! Tho I do have a gut feeling and only that -- to believe she will be extremely instrumental in EoT- Part 2.
      regarding the TARDIS in stained glass.. does that now imply it as the "Church of the TARDIS"..?

I was hoping that UNIT would be behind the Master's resurrection. I mean, the Doctor isn't always there and it's always handy to have a Time Lord around, even a psycho one. Yes, I'm using that flawed, faulty and self-destructive human logic there. I wanted them to resurrect him [thinking they could control him] and lose control of him, as expected. Humans again bringing about their own destruction. But, alas, nope.

And what was with the Master having a Sappho cult hellbent on his resurrection? Could it be related to the nunnery that the Doctor saved in the 13th C, the one Wilf was told about? I was thinking so, but I suppose I'm linking too many things... Unless the Doctor goes back in time with the 'great darkness' that's coming during the 2nd episode and destroys it on that spot, then the TARDIS gets the stained glass treatment. Hmm. Yup, thinking too hard.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
      Hmm. That would have been good - if a unfortunate that UNIT always appear rather blundering/evil these days (except in Planet of the Dead). The cult thing WAS a bit bonkers. And on that I was really hoping the squads hunting the Master were government. Not UNIT or Torchwood... but whichever gang were the antagonists in CoE. UNIT are too clear cut in their intentions - I do like a bit of conspiracy.
      nah.. I think UNIT has had enough bad run-in's with The Master in previous cycles of The Doctor's lives that the Master earned the reputation to be added (by now) onto UNIT's
      DO NOT CALL LIST..!!

Runaway Bride was first. Donna was his first post-Rose companion. AND THE BEST!!!!
      Actually, there were a few others *before* Rose.
      Sarah Jane Smith and Leela made a close tie. Opposites in upbringing, but similar in character strength and goal determinations.

Comment

You mean that he had some good companions before Rose? Sure he did. Romana and Sarah Jane are the best of those, IMHO, but Donna was the one who was most like a friend to him. The poor guy just needed a friend and she was his best friend.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
          regarding the TARDIS in stained glass.. does that now imply it as the "Church of the TARDIS"..?
          That would be hilaRious. The anti-Cult of Saxon preparing for this Doctor's final fight against the 'darkness' since the final fight happened in the 13th C. Wow. Paradox! Ouch. Temporal mechanics give me a mild toothache.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Secret father. LOL! Is that like a secret Santa? "You have my DNA! Surprise!"
            oh my! that would definitely be quite a legacy.. except I think the Master and the Doctor came from two different families, based on how the Master was discussing their childhood.

Sadly, the whole "Who are you, Wilfred?" seemed far too much like what happened with Donna at the end of s4. The Doctor is clearly a snob; no 'little people' can have anything to do with him more than once, only big time-manipulatingly important beings dare apply to see him twice or more. Hmph.
            I didn't get *that* negative *snobby* type of impression.
            Instead, over the course of years and visitations by both companions and lifeforms everywhere, the Doctor knows that certain people and "beings" keep returning into his life -- little people included. But what makes Wilf's encounters more significant is that this particular visit is somehow suspected of being connected (directly or indirectly) to the prophecy behind the Doctor's hearing the knocking 4 times.. thus, being connected with or to the Doctor's own "death" timeline.

Wilf showed up immediately after the knocking of the 4 times, which the knocking was obviously done by the Master, and Wilf essentially stopped the Doctor in the middle of chasing the Master down rather than get the entire "death" issue done and over with.

So, during the interlude at the cafe, the Doctor was trying to figure out where in the giant puzzle of the Doctor's own time/life that Wilf fit. The Doctor realized being linked back up with Wilf wasn't a coincidence, but meant to be.. The question was *why?* .. and why send Wilf into the Doctor's path of life at *that* particular historical moment (pertaining to the Doctor's forewarned "death"). It was more an inquisitive and searching sort of tone that I heard.. and that's loosely based on knowing how the Doctor has operated in all of his previous selves in past DW eps/stories (going back to all earlier DW personas #'s 1-9).

Maybe it takes digesting the entire Doctor Who series as a whole --and dissecting each episode via the DW magazine and other DW outlet sources have done over the decades, to understand what motivates him and at which occasions make some events more significant than others. That's the basic impression I got from his conversation with Wilf. To me, that little conversation seemed more of a curiosity issue than any personality conflict.

And the not-knowing is what was driving the Doctor's brain into overdrive-- trying to solve life's puzzle of what was yet to come. ...and since the Doctor is semi-omni-knowing of all possible future outcomes, it was the details that made up the end results which he seemed to be out of sync with, and I think that frustrated him -- more because this was a *personal* issue of (knowing) his own future (was definitely) being (directly put) in jeopardy. (Past Doctor versions have had basically the same issues depending on the situations involved.)

Comment

You mean that he had some good companions before Rose? Sure he did. Romana and Sarah Jane are the best of those, IMHO, but Donna was the one who was most like a friend to him. The poor guy just needed a friend and she was his best friend.
              Actually, I forgot a few (lots more really). Each seemed to be unique and given specific character qualifications to each story and Doctor (actor # version) they appeared with. Some companions being more resourceful in intellectual skills / cunning than others..

Rose was different in that her connection ended up being a genuine love story of sorts, which was way, waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy different from previous Doctor and companions. Donna had her moments and it would have been interesting to see if the series (itself in writing and captivating various audiences) could actually hold onto her longer than the usual few seasons a DW companion stays for.

Even the Doctors (actors portraying each Doctor) move on. Which has basically become a trademark staple of the entire DW series. That's what makes it unique and semi-unpredictable in the never knowing when (or how) the next actor will take over the role, etc.

Comment

Easy. I was joking. Well, mostly joking. After how he referred to 'little people' in 'Waters of Mars'... Clearly, he was delusional. Clearly.
                sigpic
                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Sadly, the whole "Who are you, Wilfred?" seemed far too much like what happened with Donna at the end of s4. The Doctor is clearly a snob; no 'little people' can have anything to do with him more than once, only big time-manipulatingly important beings dare apply to see him twice or more. Hmph.

Instead, over the course of years and visitations by both companions and lifeforms everywhere, the Doctor knows that certain people and "beings" keep returning into his life -- little people included. But what makes Wilf's encounters more significant is that this particular visit is somehow suspected of being connected (directly or indirectly) to the prophecy behind the Doctor's hearing the knocking 4 times.. thus, being connected with or to the Doctor's own "death" timeline...
                  Easy. I was joking. Well, mostly joking. After how he referred to 'little people' in 'Waters of Mars'... Clearly, he was delusional. Clearly.
                  I hear yah.. and I saw the joke in there somewhere, too, before replying..
                  What I meant by him being snobby -- was in the definitive sense, where the Doctor might be seen for eons of time into the future as strutting around with his nose up in the air and being selective over whom he likes and dislikes, etc.

Yes, in 'Waters of Mars' he used the term "little people" to which Adelaide took as an insult. I wouldn't say the Doctor was delusional; I think he thought he could actually control the outcome enough to *play God* so to speak.. and in a very real sense, that's basically what any Entity controlling the laws of time do -- they seem to *play God* --and sometimes by detaching their personal connections to those who don't know all that is involved, while they are trying to be totally focused on guiding or prompting others along to prevent disasters or fulfill certain goals and destinies.

But the Doctor was also quick to clarify what he meant by little people -- are those persons/Beings who make little impact within the timelines vs. others who cause mega-quakes in the long-term, historical sense. I had tried to think of him as delusional, as Adelaide did, but knowing the Doctor's past, I think for a moment he actually thought he was the only *almighty* powerful force in the entire universe that could change that one event for the better... which (to me) explained his moment of "I've got the Power!" energizer beat... basically, I tried to see it also from his side, and that's why when he realized he may have gone a bit too far, that he wasn't being delusional, but more hopeful. I think his choice of wording made him seem more uppity than he really was, thus the potential snobby attitude showed up for a slight moment.. his hopeful nature -- part of his personality took over his ego and he ran with it, until he was shaken back into if/how the rest of the universe might react differently from him.

Spoiler:
                  Which it did ---- Had the 'Waters of Mars' ending gone the way the Doctor initially expected it to, and not with Adelaide shooting herself, I think the Doctor might have felt a bit above creation -- at that moment in time -- and gotten a higher ego than he already had.. which for the most part, he's usually very humble in nature ... and it's that humbleness that keeps him balanced in / with his ability / tampering to control other forces within the universe. His motives are usually for the good, but it's the definition of good that could appear as bad to other people -- including whomever he encounters, such as Adelaide.

Greed for more power might be the next step, as it's been with the Master, but the Doctor realized what might be happening within his own ego, and stopped himself when he saw the Ood.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Just watched part two. Noooooo! He's gone! Thd only thing am looking forward to is ms. Gillan....
                    sigpic
                    385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

So the
                      Spoiler:
                      Time Lords were trying to ascend? Lawl.

Comment

Take it to the Official thread Guys here.
                        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                          Just watched part two. Noooooo! He's gone! Thd only thing am looking forward to is ms. Gillan....
                          I don't like him.

Yet.

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                          So
                          Spoiler:
                          the Time Lords were trying to ascend? Lawl.
                          hah, I smirked at that too.
                          Last edited by Bagpuss; 01 January 2010, 11:10 AM. Reason: tags mandatory.
                          sigpic
                          It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Bril, chased from another thread.
                            Well, on topic, End of Time one sucked. There was nothing in there I liked. Thank god part two was great, but thats for another thread, apparantly
                            sigpic
                            385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

The Master's Facebook is doing the rounds....

Comment

haha, thats great ^^
                                sigpic
                                It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Working...
                                X