X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The End of Time, Part 1 (2009)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SPECIALS:
    THE END OF TIME, PART 1

Faced with the prophecy of his own death, the Doctor learns that his greatest foe is about to be resurrected -- with a new plan to conquer the human race.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:14 PM.

well that was the biggest load of rubbish I've seen in a while, the best bit was June Whitfield groaping The Doctor. Even the dulcet tones of Timothy Dalton couldn't save it. Thank God this and the next is the last RTD drivel we'll see.

Steven Moffat, your public await you

Comment

I quite liked it, certainly better than the giant robot stamping on London last christmas. However it wasn't epic, it was just good and that's unfortunate because these last two eps may decide how some people remember Tennant's era.

The Master's return was...not very well executed. What the hell is the 'Book of Saxon' and why didn't they mention it in Series 3? I ignored this and continued to watch, being drawn into Simm's acting Then things got stranger. The Master was like Gollum, only he had superpowers. I shrugged and continued, and ultimately adored it when the Master and the Doctor finally confronted each other and, instead of fighting it out, they talked of Gallifrey and the Master's past.

The 'I want my daughter to live forever' storyline sucked, although I did like the two cactus aliens who knew the machine was alien and wanted it back.

Wilfred Mott is awesome as always - 'She's a cactus!', and I enjoyed his emotional scene in the cafe' with the Doctor.

As for the last twenty seconds featuring James Bond and his congregation of surviving Time Lords? O...M...G Please don't make it like the return of the ancients, please please don't make the Time Lord's complete idiots for no reason

What I would have preferred;

The Doctor told the Master that a great darkness was coming and drawing the two of them together, so I would have had the two reluctantly team up (as like in 'The Five Doctors') to resist a greater enemy. The character development/interaction could have been incredible, and then the ultimate sympathy as one or both of our favourite Time Lords have to regenerate by the episode's climax.

I think that this would have been far more interesting than relying almost completely on the Master's insanity to be the main negative force.

6.5/10.
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Ahh, Dr Who meets The Matrix......

Comment

There was plenty of potential with this, it was just slightly bogged under all these unexplained plot devices, liek the Book of Saxon and the Master's sudden superpowers.

I can't help but think that John Simm had great fun with the end of the episode and the gerneal acting crazy Shame we have to wait a week for the next episode, hopefully it'll up the pace and epicness.
          If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
          sigpic

Comment

Hmmm...

1. Liked the early scene with Lucy - surprised nothing more came of it.

2. Master bouncing everywhere. WTF?

3. Master eating people. WTF?

4. Immortality Gate and cactuses. Cool idea.

5. Wilfred and mystery woman. WTF?

6. Donna gets her memory back. Cool.

7. Humanity gets Masterised? Think you've overdone it there RTD.

8. Timelords. WTF?

Fun, in a very warped way. One hell of a lot of questions marks for next week.
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
              Hmmm...

3. Master eating people. WTF?

Back up option when you dont have a matter condensation device.....

Comment

So is Obama a straight ginger who should be replaced by an Aeryn or am I missing something?

I loved it. Good, proper Doctor Who as always. I liked how accomplished it was. Yes, there was a lot of exposistion, but once The Master was abducted the story slowed to a quieter pace and was furthered by dialouge and suspense. Even the most obvious of cliffhangers came off as something I didnt expect. Wilf was a trooper, and Donna was used rather graciously.

Props to RTD for restoring the omnipotence of The Time Lords. It's been a long time since they were seen as forboding, capable of mercy and terror simotaniously with what they can do. The Lady In White is a great use of the Time Lord's concept, she inspires a selfless, kind soul like Wilf to take arms and prepare to commit murder if neccersary, which leads to his moral dillema in the "Next Time" trailer, he obviously donest want to take a life, but he wants The Doctor to.

Tennant's scene in the diner as he breifly chokes up should have been played up more. He shrugs it off immediatly and the scene is neglected afterwards to build towards the cliff-hanger. He takes a moment to pity himself as he faces his mortality

please please don't make the Time Lord's complete idiots for no reasons
                Robert Holmes was doing that years before anyone else.
                Last edited by Zarius; 25 December 2009, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Well that was...disapointing. Immediately it might fare better in a rewatch where I'm not quite so tipsy from Christmas lunch but still. It seemed horrifically disjointed, the Master's return seemed ridiculously Deus Ex Machina especially with no mention of why he can now fly and zap people with his hands and I have always been very vocally against the return of the Time Lords.

Admittedly I did love most the bits with John Simm, he did amazingly well with such an awful script and the bit at the end where everyone was him and they celebrated I thought was really well done despite it ripping off the Matrix (if only it hadn't come from nowhere).

On an unrelated note, whatever happened to the scene that filming photos of circulated the net a while back with the
                  Spoiler:
                  Doctor confronting Nurse Joan's granddaughter in a book shop about her publishing his diary
                  (Spoilers in case it somehow turns up in Part 2, I don't see how but in a story this disjointed...)

Comment

How did it "rip off The Matrix"? The Matrix itself ripped that idea off from a lot of concepts pioneered by other books and films.

The Master Race was more a tribute to the movie "Being John Malcovtich" than The Matrix

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                      IThe Doctor told the Master that a great darkness was coming and drawing the two of them together, so I would have had the two reluctantly team up (as like in 'The Five Doctors') to resist a greater enemy. The character development/interaction could have been incredible, and then the ultimate sympathy as one or both of our favourite Time Lords have to regenerate by the episode's climax.

I think that this would have been far more interesting than relying almost completely on the Master's insanity to be the main negative force.

6.5/10.
                      I'm thinking this is what they might use for the next episode. After all, the whole way through they were saying there's something bigger and worse than what the Master was up to...

Originally posted by PMN1 View Post
                      Ahh, Dr Who meets The Matrix......
                      How did I not realise this immediately!! Please enter Neo...

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                      Hmmm...

1. Liked the early scene with Lucy - surprised nothing more came of it.
                      Yeah - love her character, she would have made a great addition to the plot!!

5. Wilfred and mystery woman. WTF?
                      Ramona. I hope

7. Humanity gets Masterised? Think you've overdone it there RTD.
                      Try, but who else now wants to go there?! (just me...? )

Fun, in a very warped way. One hell of a lot of questions marks for next week.
                      So just like normal then!

I must say though - Davies is kinda a story stealer. Obv can see the influence of the Matrix in this. And all the way through the series I've been spotting other stories... These are the main ones, although I'm sure there are more.

- S2 finale: the end of The Amber Spyglass (I can give 5 parallels they used - obvious rip off).

- S4 finale: the basic plot from Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitch Hiker's Guide part 3) - the reality bomb, the pocket of time, one race left at the end of the universe, and they even used the theme tune at one point!!

- Xmas Ep: Neo's jumps + Agent Smith's cloning of himself within the Matrix.

*sigh*

Still v enjoyable though! And obv there are only so many stories, especially within this genre, but still, sometimes they could be a bit more subtle!
                      ~Thanks to Achaja for my lovely birthday presents!!~

Comment

Originally posted by Zarius View Post
                        How did it "rip off The Matrix"? The Matrix itself ripped that idea off from a lot of concepts pioneered by other books and films.
                        The Master Race was more a tribute to the movie "Being John Malcovtich" than The Matrix
                        hmm... true. Like I said, only so many stories!
                        ~Thanks to Achaja for my lovely birthday presents!!~

Comment

just reposting

Originally posted by Zarius View Post
                          A new trailer and scenes from the second instalment (MAJOR SPOILERS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSDdvNObe8c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPhRn-1pzdo
                          People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

John Simm in a strange selection of dresses was priceless....

Other than that very disappointed, nothing surprised me, I know this is mostly for kids so I let some things slide like the negative skulls thing, but I am so glad this is RTD's last two episodes that anything Steven Moffat produces is going to be better than this.

RTD seemed to run out of stories about 2 years ago, I just hope Moffat doesn't burn out so quickly.

Comment

john simms was epic in PT1 the whole matrix feel doesn't bother me at all. i find it interesting that the master's resurrection went wrong and now he's just this hungry craze loon. stuck in the same body as saxon.

i have high hopes for donna in pt 2 the whole doctor/donna character could pay off wonderfully if done right. i do find it disturbing that the master turned all humans into "the master race"

and at the end with the time lords ..... how are their back ....grrrr pt 2 can't come quick enough
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                              X