This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Forbidden Planet" similarities?

Today I watched the movie Forbidden Planet. Except for Metropolis, I've never seen a decent science fiction film so old (Forbidden Planet was released in 1954). For those who haven't seen it, imagine The Tempest in space with a thematic sub-text based on Freudian psychology. Or something like that.

Anyway, this movie has apparently been hugely influential within the genre, especially toward Star Trek. But besides all the standard Sci-Fi tropes that I'm sure that this film helped to establish, the character dynamic between Commander Adams and Dr. Morbius reminded me very specifically of the relationship between Young and Dr. Rush on Stargate Universe.

Does anyone else see this resemblance? Do you think the writers of SGU were (consciously or unconsciously) influenced by Forbidden Planet?
    That is all.
    The Communist Party!
    sigpic

well we can find relationships and interaction between pretty much anyone to be somewhat reminiscent of those on SGU, i like to think that the writers were influenced by other shows, movies etc and as such are able to reuse certain plot devices, ideas, themes again and again to the dismay of many fans

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
      well we can find relationships and interaction between pretty much anyone to be somewhat reminiscent of those on SGU, i like to think that the writers were influenced by other shows, movies etc and as such are able to reuse certain plot devices, ideas, themes again and again to the dismay of many fans
      like pretty much every show/writer does.............. shame the "many" dismayed fans don't know this.
      sigpic
      EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
      -Liberty Prime

Comment

Every writer has an inspiration conciously or subconsciously, in this case they couldn't care less if they picked forbidden planet apart.
        Tst

Comment

Forbidden Planet was one of the defining pieces of science fiction. Like the original Star Trek, you can find similarities because all of modern science fiction draws some consicious or subconscious inspiration from them.
          sigpic
          http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
          http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Nchewbacca View Post
            Today I watched the movie Forbidden Planet. Except for Metropolis, I've never seen a decent science fiction film so old (Forbidden Planet was released in 1954). For those who haven't seen it, imagine The Tempest in space with a thematic sub-text based on Freudian psychology. Or something like that.

Anyway, this movie has apparently been hugely influential within the genre, especially toward Star Trek. But besides all the standard Sci-Fi tropes that I'm sure that this film helped to establish, the character dynamic between Commander Adams and Dr. Morbius reminded me very specifically of the relationship between Young and Dr. Rush on Stargate Universe.

Does anyone else see this resemblance? Do you think the writers of SGU were (consciously or unconsciously) influenced by Forbidden Planet?
            heh, and here I thought you were going to point out that downloading a ton of alien info into your brain can be lethal to your health. did it in Forbidden Planet, then SG-1

Yes, Forbidden Planet is a classic. I mourn the day they decide to remake it with Tom Cruise or Keanu Reeves (who can act, but certainly not in THe Day the Earth Stood Still).

Comment

And some have equated Dr. Rush with Dr. Zachary Smith on Lost In Space.

"Oh, the pain. The pain."

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
                And some have equated Dr. Rush with Dr. Zachary Smith on Lost In Space.

"Oh, the pain. The pain."

As I recall, Dr. Smith spent a lot of time hiding behind little Will, so if that happens, Rush will hide behind Eli

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                  As I recall, Dr. Smith spent a lot of time hiding behind little Will, so if that happens, Rush will hide behind Eli
                  Yes, that. I was also thinking of the earliest episodes of Lost In Space where Smith was portrayed as a cold blooded killer, who cared for no one save himself, and in fact tried to murder the Robinsons on more than one occasion. Later they gradually transformed him into a comical buffoon.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
                    Yes, that. I was also thinking of the earliest episodes of Lost In Space where Smith was portrayed as a cold blooded killer, who cared for no one save himself, and in fact tried to murder the Robinsons on more than one occasion. Later they gradually transformed him into a comical buffoon.

Oh yes, he was a good villian when the show was B&W. When an Irwin Allen show went to color, poof, giant talking carrots, attack of the lobstermen, alien invaders (Lost in Space, Voyage to the bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel), but hey, I stuck through it all for Major West, Captain Crane and Dr. Tony Newman...

Comment

I think now is great time to bring up my now infamous; Universe is a Lost rip-off analysis:

- They both about a group of people stranded on a ship/island to which they can't escape.
                      -They are both the wrong people at the wrong places
                      - Both the Destiny ship and the Island have some mystery.
                      - The Destiny ship travel through space while the Lost island travel through time. But we know with the relativity theory that time and space are actually the same thing.
                      - Scott = Jack, his girlfriend Chloe = Kate. They make out but another one is jealous, Eli/Sawyer.
                      - Rush=Locke. Both believe the Destiny/Island is a disaster which is actually something good for them. They both have ulterior motive.
                      - Spencer have been seen gathering food just like Hugo. And happens to also takes pills like Charlie.
                      - Both have mysterious inhabitant. In lost they are called the others and the Destiny the ship we saw them ducking out at the end of an episode (Air 3 i think).
                      - Both have their backstory related to some ancient earth mythology. Lost=Egypt. Stargate=Egypt, Atlantis etc.
                      - The main issue for both of the groups is survival and how to get back.
                      - Both shows combine soapy drama elements with mysterious sci-fi elements.
                      - Both the Lost Island and the Destiny ship are protected by some form of shield system.
                      - Both the Lost Island and the Destiny ship seem to have a long history predating the arrival of our people.
                      - Air 3 desert tornado alien=Blacksmoke entity
                      - I swear I saw a polar bear somewhere on the Destiny.

As for Forbidden Planet. Its true that both shows include a spaceship.
                      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Actually, the core ideas behind "Forbidden Planet," "Lost," and "Stargate Universe" are very similar; all have a small group of survivors, facing potentially hostile aliens (just plain hostile in the cases of Lost and Forbidden Planet), a mysterious group of advanced beings who came before them and left behind advanced technology, and, of course, polar bears (Have you looked at the shape of the destiny? I bet it's actually a polar bear!).
                        That is all.
                        The Communist Party!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                          I think now is great time to bring up my now infamous; Universe is a Lost rip-off analysis:

- They both about a group of people stranded on a ship/island to which they can't escape.
                          -They are both the wrong people at the wrong places
                          - Both the Destiny ship and the Island have some mystery.
                          - The Destiny ship travel through space while the Lost island travel through time. But we know with the relativity theory that time and space are actually the same thing.
                          - Scott = Jack, his girlfriend Chloe = Kate. They make out but another one is jealous, Eli/Sawyer.
                          - Rush=Locke. Both believe the Destiny/Island is a disaster which is actually something good for them. They both have ulterior motive.
                          - Spencer have been seen gathering food just like Hugo. And happens to also takes pills like Charlie.
                          - Both have mysterious inhabitant. In lost they are called the others and the Destiny the ship we saw them ducking out at the end of an episode (Air 3 i think).
                          - Both have their backstory related to some ancient earth mythology. Lost=Egypt. Stargate=Egypt, Atlantis etc.
                          - The main issue for both of the groups is survival and how to get back.
                          - Both shows combine soapy drama elements with mysterious sci-fi elements.
                          - Both the Lost Island and the Destiny ship are protected by some form of shield system.
                          - Both the Lost Island and the Destiny ship seem to have a long history predating the arrival of our people.
                          - Air 3 desert tornado alien=Blacksmoke entity
                          - I swear I saw a polar bear somewhere on the Destiny.
                          You forgot the chair = the hatch.

I made a thread about this a while back- I think right after Air pts 1&2. Though I see all the similarities, I don't think it was ripped off exclusively. Even if it was, I wouldn't mind. I hold LOST in very high esteem. I only wish SGU had LOST's quality in addition to some of its aspects. But alas, it does not, IMO.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Working...
                          X