Stargate Timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Timeline

I think you got the who alliance thing wrong. According to the Evil Asgard on the last season of SGA, the Asgard were only around for 100,000 years. As in "Now that you say our brothers are gone, we are the last of a 100,000 years of history" or something of that nature. That doesn't make them millions of years old lol.

I am refering to page: http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Timeline
    Last edited by GateMan2000; 16 December 2009, 11:21 AM.

The Destiny info is wrong as well. If the destiny technology predates Lantean technology, then destiny had to be launched before the creation of Atlantis.
    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
      The Destiny info is wrong as well. If the destiny technology predates Lantean technology, then destiny had to be launched before the creation of Atlantis.
      That too lol!

Comment

I suspect that the Alliance of the four races was pegged at 3+ million years ago because the Asgard's statement in "The Fifth Race" about the Ancients having left this part of space long ago is taken to refer not only to their ascension, but to the departure of Atlantis from Earth "several million years ago" ("Rising"). The Alliance would logically need to precede that point in history.

Of course a relatively small number of Ancients came back to the Milky Way 10,000 years ago ("Before I Sleep") and eventually ascended. It's possible that the Alliance fits into this much more recent period of time, but so far I don't think we know very much about them and what they were doing in this era. What we have heard makes it sound like they were a bit disparate and scattered (integrating themselves into ancient Earth cultures to live out their lives quietly -- with some notable exceptions, like Merlin, Morgan La Fey and Janus).

Thanks for the head's up about "The Lost Tribe" though, GateMan. We'll look into this and see if there is a logical way to get around what could be an implied contradiction in the age of the Asgard race.

EDIT: As for the age of the Destiny -- blame the writers. We're working strictly with on-screen canon here. (This topic has been discussed extensively on the podcast, and we're keeping a close watch on it.)
        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
          I suspect that the Alliance of the four races was pegged at 3+ million years ago because the Asgard's statement in "The Fifth Race" about the Ancients having left this part of space long ago is taken to refer not only to their ascension, but to the departure of Atlantis from Earth "several million years ago" ("Rising"). The Alliance would logically need to precede that point in history.
          Indeed. Slightly longer, though. In "Rising", Daniel says that the Ancients left this galaxy somewhere between 5 and 10 million years ago.

Regarding the "Lost Tribe" Asgard, I peg that down to them talking about their own civilization rather than all of Asgard civilization.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Another important point is that the Destiny was also said to have been launched from Earth.

If you follow the show, which is exactly what the gateworld timeline is based on, then:

- The destiny was launched less than 1 million years ago, from Earth.

Which would mean that the Ancients had a presence in both the milky way and pegasus galaxy.

If you follow the actually technology that Atlantis and the Destiny are based on, then the Destiny was launched more than 5-10 million years ago.

I covered all this in my thread 'SGU Timeline and the rest of the Stargate Storyline' http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...0#post10666420

The basic conclusion is that TPTB dont pay much attention to what they write or how they plan, or both. You basically have to mix and match facts for the storyline to make sense.

And to think, all of this would of been saved if Rush had just said "launched hundreds of millions years ago" rather then thousands.

Sure hundreds of millions of years is a far fetch, but the Antarctic gate, which is believed to be the oldest gate, is dated to around 50 million years. If Rush had said 'tens of millions of years ago' it would of been perfect.

Epic fail on the writers and producers of stargate.

Comment

Considering they're on their 16th season of television, you have to admit that the timeline for the show, overall, is remarkably consistent. I have to give them credit for that. It could be substantially worse.

The Destiny predates the ATA technology, which puts it older than Atlantis, so I'm guessing 50 million years and up. But it's not canon yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Regarding the "Lost Tribe" Asgard, I peg that down to them talking about their own civilization rather than all of Asgard civilization.
                If you watch the episode 5-11, it clearly states the Ida Asgard as the same as the Pegasus Asgard civilization. The evil Asgard even states since they are longer, they must survive in order to perserve a 100,000 years of history. Meaning not theirs but the entire Asgard race.

Comment

The most sensible point to put Destiny is at some point before Atlantis leaves. If you assume they seeded Destiny Stargates in the Milky Way for a long period and then later replaced them with the red gates prior to arriving in Pegasus it works. That can get you a lot closer in time.

The problem really is the 3-50 million year period. That seems waaaay to long for a spacefaring species to me. But that's neither here nor there I guess. Heh, Fanon.

Comment

Destiny could have been the actual ship that the Alterans used to get to the Milky Way, and then once they had build the city-ship Atlantis and settled on earth, they sent it off back into the galaxy to seed more galaxies without them. We know that they were studying ascention at least by the time they got to Pegasus so it stands to reason that once they escaped back to Earth from the Wraith war the Destiny's progress was less important to them, and they just let it go on.

This would make the technology much older (100s of millions of years) compared to Atlantis AND still explain how the records that the Icarus team accessed would show its point of departure being Earth sometime much later - that these records were the first records the humans could access might explain why that particular time line just covers the 'current' mission its on, starting from its 'relaunch' from Earth.

No reason why they'd scrap such a sturdy inter-galactic ship just because they'd advanced their technology by far after so many years, and since we know the Alterans left their galaxy millions of years ago we have no idea how long they were living on Destiny or using its gate-seeding abilities before they settled on Earth and re-launched it into the trajectory its on now.

(But I will say that other parts of this timeline are a mess, and not the fault of the author of the timeline -- like when/why Dakra was built, and when the four races thing happened - I always thought it was post-Wraith war return-from-Atlantis....)

Comment

Originally posted by langdonboom View Post
                      (But I will say that other parts of this timeline are a mess, and not the fault of the author of the timeline -- like when/why Dakra was built, and when the four races thing happened - I always thought it was post-Wraith war return-from-Atlantis....)
                      Yeah in the Fifth Race episode in Season 2, I thought thats what they meant. When they meant the anicents left many years ago, that meant to me ascension, spreading out and living amount the commom human folk or whatever else they did.

Comment

Originally posted by GateMan2000 View Post
                        Yeah in the Fifth Race episode in Season 2, I thought thats what they meant. When they meant the anicents left many years ago, that meant to me ascension, spreading out and living amount the commom human folk or whatever else they did.
                        My feelings (again, not supported by anything in the show per se) was that when they got back to the MW after the Wraith war, finding Earth populated by primitive "second-generation" humans, the Ancients sought out the other advanced races in order to support themselves after having lost so much back on Atlantis -- hence the Heliopolis with the Nox, Furling, and Asgard writings along with the Ancient. Also, by this time the goa'uld were probably in power so they also needed to ban together for this reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                          I suspect that the Alliance of the four races was pegged at 3+ million years ago because the Asgard's statement in "The Fifth Race" about the Ancients having left this part of space long ago is taken to refer not only to their ascension, but to the departure of Atlantis from Earth "several million years ago" ("Rising"). The Alliance would logically need to precede that point in history.<snip>

Thanks for the head's up about "The Lost Tribe" though, GateMan. We'll look into this and see if there is a logical way to get around what could be an implied contradiction in the age of the Asgard race.
                          Hey Darren. Like other Ancientophiles on this forum, I too have my own pet timeline which links from my signature below this post. In mine I incorporate some of the geological events that took place on Earth, in particular the gradual transformation of Antarctica from lush forest to ice wasteland.

With regard to the Alliance I reluctantly placed it from 15 to 28 thousand years ago, based on the discussion in this thread from over a year ago.
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...light=allience
                          Prior to that discussion I supported the pre-Pegasus theory but the Asgard statement of 100,000 years seemed to rule that out, while Ganos Lol's statements in "Pegasus Project" ruled out post-Pegasus. This would mean that the Ancients did make a return presence to MW while they were in Pegasus. It's possible of course that the renegade Asgard were referring to their own branch of that civilization and if that's so it reopens the possibility of the pre-Pegasus alliance.

Originally posted by Darren;11014752EDIT: As for the age of the [I
                          Destiny[/I] -- blame the writers. We're working strictly with on-screen canon here. (This topic has been discussed extensively on the podcast, and we're keeping a close watch on it.)
                          The problem here is that we seem to have two contradictory elements in the on-screen canon, one that states that Destiny is hundreds of thousands of years old (although Joe Mallozzi has stated that "Dr. Rush may have misspoke"), and another with Rush stating that Destiny's technology predates Atlantis. Both have been stated on screen, but both can't be right. If you favor the second one over the first, I think you would still be within on-screen canon to move the Destiny entry from "hundreds of thousands of years ago" up closer to the top of the page.
                          Last edited by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper; 17 December 2009, 12:34 PM.
                          My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

I love it! but you guys make my brain hurt.
                            sigpic

Comment

It's to bad we can't get JM to answer use on GW!

Comment

Working...
                              X