This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU - Countdown To The Premiere 2: Electric Boogaloo

Ok, so Scifi says that SGU returns next year after a 4 month break. Even after all this time, for the life of me i can't figure out why networks think that such large breaks mid season are a good thing. It just don't work out like that, you lose your casual viewers since they haven't watched in so long that they've forgotten the plot. And as for "dedicated" viewers who are hanging on the edge of the cliffhanger, after that long a time, people just dont care about the outcome.

Personally, my interest in SGU is waning already, and one of the few reasonable episodes wont be concluded for 4 months, not exactly encouraging me to keep watching honestly and i think it's the same way for a lot of other viewers.

Why are Americans the only country in the world that have such screwed up network policies? the UK certainly dont, they air their seasons in full blocks, so do Canadians (the shows they recieve from the US) and Australians (they just get moved timeslots if they perform badly, but they keep running).

On a side note, is SGU being treated by Sky-UK the same way SG-1 and Atlantis did (Ie: second half of season 1 being shown in january)?

I'm still hoping that the Space/January rumours turn out to be true
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Less rerun time. and shorter breaks between seasons. Personally I like them this way. I rather have multiple short breaks then a 6 month break between seasons
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Seems to me that you're waiting longer, SGU premiered over 9 weeks from October to the end of november. Now we have a 5 month wait till the next episode in April, assume that runs for 10 weeks, finishes in July, you got another 3-4 month break till October.

I can understand them putting gaps in their programing to slow down the amount of massive fallovertime you get between production seasons, but 5 months then 3 months? That's shonky, and regardless of how you feature it, you only get 20 weeks worth of episodes a year for a particular series, so regardless of what happens, you're in for a long wait, and playing the "building up anticipation" card too often sharts people off.

If they really wanted to dissuade the long waits, they could stretch a series out by playing one episode fortnightly instead of weekly and achive a much better result.

Comment

Meh, either way you have to wait a long time. It's really about what amount of wait will retain the most viewers.

So would a 4-5 months wait between 10-episode chunks be better than a 8-9 months wait between 20-episode chunks?

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            wassat?
            "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              That way by the time it returns in the U.S. & other places if people want to see the rest of the season that bad they will just download it & ignore the return of the show. Sounds like a plan to me. This deal was obviously made if it happens before the studio guys knew what kind of reaction the show would get

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                wassat?
                That the second half of the season would première on Space in Canada or Sky in the UK in January as has happened with previous seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Count View Post
                  Seems to me that you're waiting longer, SGU premiered over 9 weeks from October to the end of november. Now we have a 5 month wait till the next episode in April, assume that runs for 10 weeks, finishes in July, you got another 3-4 month break till October.
                  I mean between this season and season 2. If they continued through January until March then their would be a 6 month wait to SGU S2. I prefer 2 three month waits to one lone 6 month wait. Just personal preference.
                  I can understand them putting gaps in their programing to slow down the amount of massive fallovertime you get between production seasons, but 5 months then 3 months? That's shonky, and regardless of how you feature it, you only get 20 weeks worth of episodes a year for a particular series, so regardless of what happens, you're in for a long wait, and playing the "building up anticipation" card too often sharts people off.
                  In terms of ratings (and lets remember SGU has a different audience then SGA) the shorter breaks are probably more desireable. People are liable to lose interest if you have to wait for long periods of time
                  If they really wanted to dissuade the long waits, they could stretch a series out by playing one episode fortnightly instead of weekly and achive a much better result.
                  Interesting theory. I've never seen such an idea in practice. It would be an interesting experiment.
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Well, that was fast.

10 days after the mid-season finale, and we've already received the (tentative) date of the premiere of SGU's 2nd half! Here's the source:

http://stargate.mgm.com/view/news/1898/index.html

So, we see that SGU returns on April 2nd, 2010! Let's get the countdown started! Again!

There are:

109 DAYS

...until the mid-season premiere of Stargate Universe!

Yeah, that number is disconcertingly large. However, remember that the first countdown started at 90 DAYS. So, you know, we're not that far off.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                      That the second half of the season would première on Space in Canada or Sky in the UK in January as has happened with previous seasons.
                      Wha...who.......harrrumph I say! How is that fair?!?!
                      "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Electric Boogaloo? What have you been drinking and can I have some.

I'm going to go off the hypothesis that SGU will premiere at 9 PM so

109 days 2 hours 31 minutes until SGU
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                          Wha...who.......harrrumph I say! How is that fair?!?!
                          And it's more fair that a franchise which is filmed in Canada, cast with primarily Canadian actors, and employs many Canadian writers....frequently only benefits an American audience in terms not only of airing, but in contests and so on as well?
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Already with the minutes?

Comment

Yay, this again! Exciting
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X