Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon or Non Canon, after seeing the episodes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon or Non Canon, after seeing the episodes?

I went to post this on the original thread and found it closed, so here's a new one.

I originally said that I thought SGU was going to be non canon, and based on what I've seen I was exactly right.

Has anyone else come to accept this? Is SGU Canon or Non Canon?
    Stargate: ROTA wiki

There is no one canon, there are several ones, but if by canon you mean does SGU fit into the same universe as SG-1 and Atlantis then yes, it does. You can claim it doesn't until you're blue in the face, but it's the writers that decided, and they've made it quite clear that it does.

Comment

Pretty much what KEK said. If you want “official” canon then pretty much what BW and RCC say are canon is. If you want to make your own canon and say what has and hasn’t happened in the Stargate verse that’s up to you.

Comment

its canon....if it helps u watch the show then believe its not canon.but the creators have already stated its canon.its in the same time,place and universe as the other 2 shows.a different tone and direction of a show doesnt mean its not in the same canon or universe as the show its spun off from.

Comment

It's an official part of the Stargate Mythos from the same team as has done the other series. That makes it official canon.

--Rakhal

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
            There is no one canon, there are several ones, but if by canon you mean does SGU fit into the same universe as SG-1 and Atlantis then yes, it does. You can claim it doesn't until you're blue in the face, but it's the writers that decided, and they've made it quite clear that it does.
            Yeah, what this guy said.

It doesn't matter if it's not in the same tone as SG1 and SGA. It's still made by the same producers and writing staff (although new blood would be good for the show) and that makes it a part of the canon established in SG1/SGA.
            sigpic

Comment

LOL.

Of course it's canon.

Comment

Why would it not be canon?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Shadowdancer View Post
                  Why would it not be canon?
                  because people are already pulling "the enterprise argument" out from under their tin foil hats to try to bash SGU from yet ANOTHER direction.

Oy Gevalt.

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
                    I went to post this on the original thread and found it closed, so here's a new one.

I originally said that I thought SGU was going to be non canon, and based on what I've seen I was exactly right.

Canon: Stargate: The Movie, SG-1, The Ark of Truth, Continuum, Atlantis, Universe, Kino-sodes

Not Canon: Infinity, original Stargate novels, fanfiction
                    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

For crying out loud...

Go sit on a turnip.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

This is just plain insane.

Of course SGU is cannon. The producers decide cannon. It may violate cannon a few times but almost every show does that at one point or another.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

SGU was canon then, and it's canon now. In fact, it's even further established into canon than it used to be by virtue of us having actually seen it. Thus, your continued assurance of it's non-canonity is even more ridiculous at this point in the game.

That said, I'm interested in specific, clear examples as to why people may think SGU as a whole (or even parts of it) are not canon.
                          Sig by Pandora's Box
                          sigpic

Comment

how is it not canon, everything ive seen so far fits in with canon

Comment

Seriously? I honestly don't understand this. How can it not be canon?

The fact that some people don't like it (or think that it's "too different" to be Stargate) isn't a good enough reason. If everything I disliked wasn't canon, Star Trek would be a very different franchise, and the entire Torchwood series would be about 18 episodes long. Oh, and SGA/SG-1 would be quite different as well.

If you don't want to acknowledge SGU... don't watch it (or write alternate universe fanfic that ignores the existence of SGU... it's a creative and constructive alternative when you dislike the way a show is going).

But a different style/tone has nothing to do with whether or not it's canon. Different =/= non-canon.
                              Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                              Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Working...
                              X