This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some forum help......PLEASE!

I've recently changed to Windows 7 and using Firefox instead of IE now the page only fills the centre of the screen ... Why's that? and if I do the Ctrl+ to make the fonts bigger they become gigantic.

At the moment Gateworld fills the centre of my screen and everything is smaller but the fonts. The fonts are still big and readable.
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

could it be the resolution?

I honestly have no idea, i have zero experience with windows 7

try a different browser, safari or IE

If either or both display fine, it's a W7, FF, VB issue
      if neither displays fine and has the same issue, ti's a W7/VB issue

Find the commonalities with what doesn't work and that'll narrow down where the problem is

then all you can do is report the bug to the likely owner of it and find a workaround, cause I guarantee you i doubt it'll be fixed overnight
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        could it be the resolution?

I honestly have no idea, i have zero experience with windows 7

try a different browser, safari or IE

If either or both display fine, it's a W7, FF, VB issue
        if neither displays fine and has the same issue, ti's a W7/VB issue

Find the commonalities with what doesn't work and that'll narrow down where the problem is

then all you can do is report the bug to the likely owner of it and find a workaround, cause I guarantee you i doubt it'll be fixed overnight
        Definately a W7 bug..... My screen resolution is exactly the same as when I had Windows XP. I used the same settings.

but W7 displays things differently to how they were before, and not just on Gateworld most forums display the same just slightly smaller and in the middle of the screen.

Oh well send a report to Microsnot then.

Comment

I don't know Windows 7 but have you checked to see what the standard dpi is on Windows 7? It might me smaller than on Vista or XP. You might need to adjust your settings for that.

Not sure how you get there on W7, but on XP
          Control Panel
          Display
          Settings tab
          Advanced button
          General tab

the normal size on XP is 96 DPI

If it's different, you might want to adjust it - or if it's only bothering you on your browser, then you can change the browser minimum font size.
          Last edited by Thunderstorm; 13 December 2009, 09:14 PM.
          sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
            I don't know Windows 7 but have you checked to see what the standard dpi is on Windows 7? It might me smaller than on Vista or XP. You might need to adjust your settings for that.

Not sure how you get there on W7, but on XP
            Control Panel
            Display
            Settings tab
            Advanced button
            General tab

the normal size on XP is 96 DPI

If it's different, you might want to adjust it - or if it's only bothering you on your browser, then you can change the browser minimum font size.

Yeah it's only on the web browser. I'll have a look at that when my dvd ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
              [IMG]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n185/mappalazarou/Mappalazarou%202/lolalfie.jpg?t=1260752604[/IG]
              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Can you post a screencap of what you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                  sure give me a moment

Comment

OK here you go. this is how the forum looks to me. It's easy to read but only fills the middle of screen.

Comment

I went to check what the site looks like in IE and it definitely takes up less space in Firefox, but not as much as you picture shows.

Did you get a new computer with Windows 7 or did you load it on the computer that previous had XP? If you got a new monitor it's very possible that you may have to adjust the resolution even if it's the same as what you previously had. While newer monitors generally make the screen clearer and sharper than before that usually comes at the expense of smaller.
                      sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

i've used windows 7 and never had this probelm
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                          OK here you go. this is how the forum looks to me. It's easy to read but only fills the middle of screen.
                          Pretty sure that's what it's supposed to look like. That's what it looks like on mine anyway, and I'm using Vista. Have you changed the resolution or your monitor?

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                            I went to check what the site looks like in IE and it definitely takes up less space in Firefox, but not as much as you picture shows.

Did you get a new computer with Windows 7 or did you load it on the computer that previous had XP? If you got a new monitor it's very possible that you may have to adjust the resolution even if it's the same as what you previously had. While newer monitors generally make the screen clearer and sharper than before that usually comes at the expense of smaller.

Pretty sure that's what it's supposed to look like. That's what it looks like on mine anyway, and I'm using Vista. Have you changed the resolution or your monitor?

Same computer as before. I wiped the hard drive and did a clean install of Windows 7. Same resolution as before too 1440x900.....

I'm not unhappy the forum is in the middle of screen just puzzled.. I thought it was supposed to almost fill the screen. Anyway it's all working as it should so no complaints here.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                              Anyway it's all working as it should so no complaints here.
                              try 1024/760
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                              X